Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: luggage questins from newbie
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
jmhinkle
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:59 am Reply with quote

I'm considering a Multistrada 1100s to replaced my problematic Ulysses. My question is regarding luggage available. The DP bags seem oddly useless thanks to their V shape to me. I use the bike for commuting and need to be able to carry my laptop and stuff for work in them. Is there any other options for the 1100 as far as luggage? TwistedThrottle only has parts available for the 1000 it seems. I've done some searching and only seem to find the factory bags otherwise. Is there a GIVI setup available? Any help is appreciated.

TIA, Joel
RAMstrada
MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:28 am Reply with quote

I think Hepco Becker may make racks for the multistradas.

I made a set of one-off racks for Givi bags (there are a couple of pics in the photos/accessories/luggage section). I wouldn't want to make another set of racks, but I could tell you what I did.

Rich in NM
jmhinkle
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:38 am Reply with quote

Does the 1100 use the same luggage mount setup as the previous 1000? Maybe that's where I am confused. If that is the case, I could buy the racks and use my current cases.
rasty
MTS: 2005 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:50 am Reply with quote

I gave up trying to fit work stuff in side bags but carry far more than I need in my topbox. Givi E360 (I think!)

I have taken the side bag frames off as well now - if it won't go in the top box I don't take it
rummaggio
MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:17 am Reply with quote

i have the Givi 46l for a topcase and at times use the panniers for commuting. I took this setup on a long trip (6 weeks) and fit everything necessary including a laptop.

with the panniers you can get Givi nylon duffle bags that fit inside, though both oddly shaped. and if you try to over stuff, the panniers do not take kindly and slightly bulge.

good looks and limited complaints. would not change from current setup

the 1100 does not differ from the 1000 or the 620 for that matter. my cases were swapped from a 620 to a 1000s

cheers
jachew
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:38 am Reply with quote

jmhinkle wrote:
I'm considering a Multistrada 1100s to replaced my problematic Ulysses. My question is regarding luggage available. The DP bags seem oddly useless thanks to their V shape to me. I use the bike for commuting and need to be able to carry my laptop and stuff for work in them. Is there any other options for the 1100 as far as luggage? TwistedThrottle only has parts available for the 1000 it seems. I've done some searching and only seem to find the factory bags otherwise. Is there a GIVI setup available? Any help is appreciated.

TIA, Joel

Joel,

There are as many solutions, as opinions in the luggage department (no pun intended).

I have the DP panniers on my 1100 and quickly discovered my laptop would not fit in them. For several months I used my Aerostitch Courier bag to carry my laptop, iPod, headphones, papers, and while it worked out OK, I started leaning toward the DP top case.

Ordered one, and installed it in one evening and have been very satisfied with the results. When I commute, I place my laptop (in a PC backpack) in the top case, and my street shoes and lunch in my panniers, and away I go. No muss, no fuss.

An additional benefit, is my wife loves leaning against it when we both venture out. She just sits back now and enjoys the view.

By the way, the shape of the panniers is certainly different but, they will hold a full size helmet, and are a snap to remove and install. I also bought the DP pannier inner bags, and my wife and I each take one. When we stop for the day we take them out, put them on our shoulder (they have a removable shoulder strap), and head in. Very nice.

All in all, I am extremely pleased with the DP bags, to the extent I only take my panniers off to wash and polish my bike. Click on the link below for pic’s on our site.

Hope this helps, JC

OBTW, good luck in the search for a replacement for your Buell.
IBF2
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:02 am Reply with quote

RAMstrada wrote:
I think Hepco Becker may make racks for the multistradas.

I made a set of one-off racks for Givi bags (there are a couple of pics in the photos/accessories/luggage section). I wouldn't want to make another set of racks, but I could tell you what I did.

Rich in NM

They do. Check my photo album for some pics with & w/o the bags.

http://www.multistrada.net//index.php?pa...mp;user_id=9499

They pop on & off VERY quickly and are very secure. They were on the bike when I bought it. Initially I was going to sell them and get the DP bags. Now I'm glad I kept them.
Good Luck!!!
jmhinkle
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:23 am Reply with quote

Thanks IBF2. That is what I was hoping to hear. My Buell bags are simply the HB journey's with the little circle HB logo exchanged for a Buell one. I love my HB bags as they are cavernous and swallow anything I need them too and all HB backs fit any HB mount. Looks like I'm making a trip to the local dealer tomorrow for some test rides to compare the Multi and Tiger.

Thanks for all the answers folks. Maybe I'll be joining the Ducatisti in the near future.
IBF2
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:50 am Reply with quote

Glad that info helped. Let us know the outcome of the test rides (as if we didn't already know Wink Wink )
jmhinkle
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:43 pm Reply with quote

Took a trip over to the dealer today to sit on, poke at, flip levers, kick tires and get a feel for them. Couldn't ride today because I had my 3 year old with me. First thing I have to say is that I have never liked Black motorcycles, but the Black S with the Ohlins and Carbon Fiber parts is gorgeous. I can't believe I'm considering a black bike when I tell my students about being seen and bright visible colors, but that bike is freaking beautiful in black. Normally I like red, but I just didn't find the red appealing to me so it will be black if I go this route. The 2nd huge surprise was that the Strada absolutely fits me perfectly. It has the exact posture and fit I have been looking for all these years. Every bike I've owned has been raising bars, lowering bars, changing bars, swapping seats and on and on just to get close to how good the Strada feels sitting on the showroom floor. Whoever they used to set up the cockpit must have my exact build. I didn't want to seem to excited about the Strada so I checked out the Tiger on the other side of the showroom. I found it just plain odd. It just didn't fit me quite right and it's weird looking from the cockpit point of view. They claim the Duc is 1 inch higher than the Tiger, but I'm flat footed on it while the Tiger I'm not because the seat seems too wide in the crotch. That was a problem that I encountered on my Ulysses until they redesigned the seat for '07. I'm going back tomorrow to ride the Strada and see if the heat is as bad as my Buell. I've heard the left side is a scorcher where the right is on the Buell, but I can't imagine it being as bad as the blast furnace I ride. If I even ride the Tiger, it will just be to say I rode one. It just doesn't seem like the bike for me other than price. That is where the problem comes in on the Strada. It's pricey for sure. I have to see what kind of deal they are willing to give me. They claim they want to move the '07's to make room for the incoming '08's and are willing to deal. As far as price, he only stated that the MSRP is $13999. Any one know what dealer cost is on these?
MJG
MTS: 2007 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:33 pm Reply with quote

jmhinkle wrote:
Took a trip over to the dealer today to sit on, poke at, flip levers, kick tires and get a feel for them. Couldn't ride today because I had my 3 year old with me. First thing I have to say is that I have never liked Black motorcycles, but the Black S with the Ohlins and Carbon Fiber parts is gorgeous. I can't believe I'm considering a black bike when I tell my students about being seen and bright visible colors, but that bike is freaking beautiful in black. Normally I like red, but I just didn't find the red appealing to me so it will be black if I go this route. The 2nd huge surprise was that the Strada absolutely fits me perfectly. It has the exact posture and fit I have been looking for all these years. Every bike I've owned has been raising bars, lowering bars, changing bars, swapping seats and on and on just to get close to how good the Strada feels sitting on the showroom floor. Whoever they used to set up the cockpit must have my exact build. I didn't want to seem to excited about the Strada so I checked out the Tiger on the other side of the showroom. I found it just plain odd. It just didn't fit me quite right and it's weird looking from the cockpit point of view. They claim the Duc is 1 inch higher than the Tiger, but I'm flat footed on it while the Tiger I'm not because the seat seems too wide in the crotch. That was a problem that I encountered on my Ulysses until they redesigned the seat for '07. I'm going back tomorrow to ride the Strada and see if the heat is as bad as my Buell. I've heard the left side is a scorcher where the right is on the Buell, but I can't imagine it being as bad as the blast furnace I ride. If I even ride the Tiger, it will just be to say I rode one. It just doesn't seem like the bike for me other than price. That is where the problem comes in on the Strada. It's pricey for sure. I have to see what kind of deal they are willing to give me. They claim they want to move the '07's to make room for the incoming '08's and are willing to deal. As far as price, he only stated that the MSRP is $13999. Any one know what dealer cost is on these?

Good luck and let us know.
As for heat- I rode some hot days this summer and didn't find it a problem at all.

As for price- you should be in luck because the black ones are always cheaper....

Joking aside- I'd think 1k off list is great price- then still setup, tax and title.

Shop a few places if possible.

And if a good dealer let them make a few bucks- you may need them in future.

See if you can get a nice discount on gear or accessories.

I recommend the Termi slip on exhaust kit that includes ECU and air filter -like $1250 list for that kit and then maybe a Staintune header -those will make it sound sweet and breath better- not to mention a tad more power but also smoother throttle response.

Keep us posted -just do it -even if it is black Smile
jmhinkle
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:15 am Reply with quote

We only have 1 dealer in town or maybe even the state for that matter. Luckily I've heard great things about them since they opened up. They started as the Triumph shop then took over the Ducati from another place. I can get a discount on anything from them other than the bike all ready as they sponsor our MSF program. I get a nice discount for being a RiderCoach on gear and such. I'm strictly worried about the price of the bike. I would love to get the kit you speak of added in or even the full kit with the cams, but unfortunately the price of the S model is all ready at my upper limit as to what I'm willing to pay for a bike. I guess I'll see what they throw at me tomorrow.
MJG
MTS: 2007 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:12 pm Reply with quote

jmhinkle wrote:
We only have 1 dealer in town or maybe even the state for that matter. Luckily I've heard great things about them since they opened up. They started as the Triumph shop then took over the Ducati from another place. I can get a discount on anything from them other than the bike all ready as they sponsor our MSF program. I get a nice discount for being a RiderCoach on gear and such. I'm strictly worried about the price of the bike. I would love to get the kit you speak of added in or even the full kit with the cams, but unfortunately the price of the S model is all ready at my upper limit as to what I'm willing to pay for a bike. I guess I'll see what they throw at me tomorrow.

So did you bring it home today ?
lotus54
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:17 pm Reply with quote

I've never noticed any heat coming off the bike at all except at a standstill on a really hot day. (around here we don't get very many).
I have had it in 114+F, and didn't have any bike releated heat (it was too darn hot for me though!).

Mark

Beta XTrainer 300
jmhinkle
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:13 am Reply with quote

"So did you bring it home today?"

Not yet, but I'll get to that at the end. I went down today and rode both the 1100s and the Tiger. I hated the Tiger. Talk about totally unimpressed with a bike. Nothing seems right about the bike for me. My hands were numb about 5 minutes into the ride. The posture was awkward and the engine was opposite of what I was expecting. It just plain felt weak all over the range. It felt low on torque, but weaker than a four and was extremely buzzy at all speeds. I also suffered from major buffeting on the Tiger. On the other hand, the 1100s was amazing. Far better than I expected. On the highway it was even more buffet free than the Ulysses. There was no heat at all and I was actually surprised by how low the engine temp on the readout was while out and about. Try about 200 degrees lower than Ulysses rear head will run at. The bike that I will buy if/when I do got the DP bags installed today. Of course the wife said I have to get those because they were so pretty on the bike so there goes my money saving solution. I will have to invest in the big top bag for commuting to work. My only real gripe is the Hydraulic clutch. I've never liked them because they are always so stiff and give back no friction zone feel. This one was the same as any other I've tried. I also found the mirrors odd. While I felt no vibes in the bars compared to my Buell, the mirrors flopped up and down like mad at low speeds. I'm not sure if I like the seat or not. It felt great most of the time, but occasionally I found myself thinking that is not a comfortable place to sit. The leg room and foot room and general Ergos were far superior to the Buell. Overall the engine seemed down a lot on torque from the Buell, but I also did the airbox, filter, ECM and Exhaust on it so I don't remember it stock so much anymore. I found myself needing to downshift the Duck when I wouldn't have normally on the Uly, but I will get used to that. The gears did seem like a better match for the engine on the Duck than my Buell and the transmission was a dream. It had to be one of the best I can remember in a long time. The bike also seemed so much smaller and easier to handle than the Buell. Actually, I don't remember the Uly feeling heavy or hard to handle until i rode the Duck. Now as far as coming home it will be a few weeks. I have more warranty work to get fixed on the Buell this week and then will strip the Farkles off of it to sell to recoup some money from the trade-in. As soon as my family comes and goes for Thanksgiving week, I will be making a deal. My wife also upped my spending limit because she really likes the look of the bike, so I'll get a few goodies when I buy. Off the top of my head, I will get all the bags, handlebar guards and heated grips (both a must in my area), and I'm considering a few other items. Are there any pieces highly recommended? Seems like it needs the rear hugger to keep from slinging crap all over the rear end. They say they are going to give me a great deal on everything for being MSF RiderCoach, but need my bike in to start talking numbers. Wish me luck for bringing it home the week after Thanksgiving. Is there a good guard for the underside of the engine? I live on a dirt road and would like some kind of protection from flying debris.