Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: luggage questins from newbie
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
MJG
MTS: 2007 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:43 am Reply with quote

jmhinkle wrote:
"So did you bring it home today?"

Not yet, but I'll get to that at the end. I went down today and rode both the 1100s and the Tiger. I hated the Tiger. Talk about totally unimpressed with a bike. Nothing seems right about the bike for me. My hands were numb about 5 minutes into the ride. The posture was awkward and the engine was opposite of what I was expecting. It just plain felt weak all over the range. It felt low on torque, but weaker than a four and was extremely buzzy at all speeds. I also suffered from major buffeting on the Tiger. On the other hand, the 1100s was amazing. Far better than I expected. On the highway it was even more buffet free than the Ulysses. There was no heat at all and I was actually surprised by how low the engine temp on the readout was while out and about. Try about 200 degrees lower than Ulysses rear head will run at. The bike that I will buy if/when I do got the DP bags installed today. Of course the wife said I have to get those because they were so pretty on the bike so there goes my money saving solution. I will have to invest in the big top bag for commuting to work. My only real gripe is the Hydraulic clutch. I've never liked them because they are always so stiff and give back no friction zone feel. This one was the same as any other I've tried. I also found the mirrors odd. While I felt no vibes in the bars compared to my Buell, the mirrors flopped up and down like mad at low speeds. I'm not sure if I like the seat or not. It felt great most of the time, but occasionally I found myself thinking that is not a comfortable place to sit. The leg room and foot room and general Ergos were far superior to the Buell. Overall the engine seemed down a lot on torque from the Buell, but I also did the airbox, filter, ECM and Exhaust on it so I don't remember it stock so much anymore. I found myself needing to downshift the Duck when I wouldn't have normally on the Uly, but I will get used to that. The gears did seem like a better match for the engine on the Duck than my Buell and the transmission was a dream. It had to be one of the best I can remember in a long time. The bike also seemed so much smaller and easier to handle than the Buell. Actually, I don't remember the Uly feeling heavy or hard to handle until i rode the Duck. Now as far as coming home it will be a few weeks. I have more warranty work to get fixed on the Buell this week and then will strip the Farkles off of it to sell to recoup some money from the trade-in. As soon as my family comes and goes for Thanksgiving week, I will be making a deal. My wife also upped my spending limit because she really likes the look of the bike, so I'll get a few goodies when I buy. Off the top of my head, I will get all the bags, handlebar guards and heated grips (both a must in my area), and I'm considering a few other items. Are there any pieces highly recommended? Seems like it needs the rear hugger to keep from slinging crap all over the rear end. They say they are going to give me a great deal on everything for being MSF RiderCoach, but need my bike in to start talking numbers. Wish me luck for bringing it home the week after Thanksgiving. Is there a good guard for the underside of the engine? I live on a dirt road and would like some kind of protection from flying debris.

Great- you've love it -hope the deal works out. In my opinion in addition to items you mention you'll want a rear hugger - I recc the shifttech over the DP. I also think you'll want exhaust. Also- as the Multi breaks in it jsut gets better and smoother- You'll want to run it over 3k rpms -it' s shakes the mirrors etc under- the Ducati twin really likes it over 3k- even over 3500 I think mine is best and now during riding am always there.
Keep searching this site and enjoy- it's 41 degrees and I'm off soon to meet up with 3 or 4 other multis this morning at a near by bike show -I'm missing the warmer weather!
DrHall
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:20 pm Reply with quote

Nice write-up!

I considered the three bikes you speak of before getting the Multi. Test rode a Buell 3 times, still haven't ridden the Tiger yet, though I will at some point just to do it.

I really like my 1000S! I have put over 4K miles on it since purchase, and it has done all I have asked, and well. It doesn't seem to have as much torque in the upper RPM range as I expected, but I plan to open up the airbox, and maybe a Power Commander at some point.

I have the DP side cases and top rack with a GIVI 52 top case. The side cases hold more than I would expect, looking at them. They are a weird shape and you have to pack around that. On a 3K mile trip I found that I could put stuff in small individual bags and fill out the nooks and crannies of the cases pretty well. They do distort easily if overpacked. I use the top case for the laptop, no way to fit it in the DP side cases. The extra size of the GIVI comes in handy, especially if you have a passenger along.
lotus54
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:50 pm Reply with quote

If the mirror 'locking' screw isn't tight the stock mirrors vibrate really badly.
I switched to the FAR mirrors (same as the DP ones I understand) and they are way better.

I like the stock seat just fine, not everyone does. I've done 700+ mile days and multi day trips where I'm riding over 12 hours a day. It still feels great to me.
That said, I avoid the freeway and look for twisty roads where you are moving around more. Plus I don't just sit on the seat, but keep flexing those muscles to keep the blood moving around.

I also swapped the bars, since on long trips the bars were too straight for me. The rizomas are angled back a couple of inches from stock and feel great for me.
Of course, everyone will like a different bend.

I have a small 26l Givi top case on the back. I really like it- the larger ones sort of overpower the bike. I'm not sure if it would hold everything you need, but I would consider it.
The DP luggage is pretty good, pops on and off in a second. I don't use it much since I like the way the bike handles without it.

One of the first things I got was a rear hugger. I really thing they should come with one stock, at least a plastic one.
I got a QB Carbon one- looks great and fits well. I did have to do a bit of fiddling to get it fitted, but not too much.
I ride on gravel roads fairly often and it does get the bike pretty dirty. A longer front fender would make a big difference. I got one of the 'Fenda Extendas' a long time ago, but never have fit it. I should just sell it.

I'm considering getting a superbike front fender, since they protect the fork tubes really well. That is one place I clean really well and all the time on my bike. Bugs on the tubes can cause the seals to leak when you hit a bump and force that section into the seal.

Mark

Beta XTrainer 300
19strada54
MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:21 am Reply with quote

Hi, I hope you buy the Strada, you won't be disappointed. I have owned Ducatis since the early '70s and ridden many other makes, all dull and boring, bad handling, spagetti framed and souless. I started my Ducati life with a GT750 in '74. I haven't owned any other make since (apart from quads on the farm). I have always considered the Dukes to be the cream of the crop when it came to performance bikes, not always the fastest in a straight line or the most reliable, but you would get there when the Jap screamers did with a lot less fuss and drama. And the Italians know how to make beautiful things!!! My wife brought a red '04 1000 Strada a while ago and I had considered it to be almost not Ducati ish. It looked like a trail/motard/tourer/old mans bike. Then one day I rode it......The person who came up with the original design spec for this bike is a true genius. They have combined performance with practicallity, multitasking and unusual good looks. I now have a black 2007 1100s with Staintune pipes, airbox, Rizoma bars Seargent seat, DP panniers and a Givi rack to put on when we tour (cams are next). We live in one of the best motorcycle areas in South Australia. It goes from open sweepers to tight twisty and bumpy roads. My Strada handles it all faultlessly. I can give the boy racers on their GSXR1000's R1's etc. a run for their money on the tight, twisty, bumpy stuff. They can't believe it. They pass me on the straight bits, but entry, corner and exit speed, (with that awsome mid range) we leave them behind. Then I can load up and ride to Philip Island for the Moto GP, a round trip of 1,800kms, and do it without fuss and in comfort, try that on your R1. I love it so much I havn't ridden the ST since the Strada arrived. Well enough of my raving. I'm sure you will be happy with your decision and, from my experience, you will be extatic for years to come. Dance
jmhinkle
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:36 am Reply with quote

I'm still finding conflicting information on DP bags. Can someone confirm if the panniers for the '06 will work on the '07 bikes and also the top rack. The Givi mount on twisted throtte says it does not work on the '07 bikes. Is the rear end different on the '07 bikes? I've heard both ways and now I'm just plain confused.
MJG

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:29 am Reply with quote

jmhinkle wrote:
I'm still finding conflicting information on DP bags. Can someone confirm if the panniers for the '06 will work on the '07 bikes and also the top rack. The Givi mount on twisted throtte says it does not work on the '07 bikes. Is the rear end different on the '07 bikes? I've heard both ways and now I'm just plain confused.

I don't think anything is different on the 07 rear.

See what dealer listing shows for rear bags and top case -I bet same numbers for 07/07

where did you get that avatar pic??? They look like they want a ride on your Ducati
fmechini
MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:24 am Reply with quote

jmhinkle

if I know hat I know now ... I would look for a nicely used Multistrada model year 2005 and up. You will save a few thousand and still get a great bike.

With the money saved you can really customize the bike the way you want it.

2005 Red Ducati Multistrada "la signorina"
2003 Blue Suzuki DR650 "il muletto"
jmhinkle
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:02 pm Reply with quote

Finally got my bike back from the dealer and it has two new problems. I managed to get down to the Ducati dealer with it and they gave me a decent offer, but it just isn't feasible. Doesn't look like I'll be a Ducati owner anytime soon. Even worse is I'm still stuck with the problem child. Sad
MJG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:27 pm Reply with quote

jmhinkle wrote:
Finally got my bike back from the dealer and it has two new problems. I managed to get down to the Ducati dealer with it and they gave me a decent offer, but it just isn't feasible. Doesn't look like I'll be a Ducati owner anytime soon. Even worse is I'm still stuck with the problem child. Sad

Oh well -always down the road a chance something will work -

Hey -where did you find that avatar picture? I know it from somewhere -they are hotties
But unfortunately, for you, they like to go on Ducati rides
jmhinkle
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:05 pm Reply with quote

Boy, let the dealer sit a few days and they get real creative with deals. They called me this morning with a whole new attitude talking about wanting to unload before the end of the month etc... I'm waiting to hear back from my credit union first before going with their financing, but the deal is pending. Cross your fingers.

The avatar I made from a picture from SbB (Sports by Brooks). Lots of nice things to make avatars from there.
MJG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:11 pm Reply with quote

jmhinkle wrote:
Boy, let the dealer sit a few days and they get real creative with deals. They called me this morning with a whole new attitude talking about wanting to unload before the end of the month etc... I'm waiting to hear back from my credit union first before going with their financing, but the deal is pending. Cross your fingers.

The avatar I made from a picture from SbB (Sports by Brooks). Lots of nice things to make avatars from there.

Now that's pretty exciting- let us know -month end is always good
jmhinkle
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:11 pm Reply with quote

Very Happy Deal is done. Due to my work schedule, I swap bikes with them on Tuesday if I can get there or Wednesday for sure. '07 1100S Black. Currently defarkling the Uly. Looks like I will keep the HB bags from the Uly and just buy the racks for the Multi to use them.
MJG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:02 pm Reply with quote

jmhinkle wrote:
Very Happy Deal is done. Due to my work schedule, I swap bikes with them on Tuesday if I can get there or Wednesday for sure. '07 1100S Black. Currently defarkling the Uly. Looks like I will keep the HB bags from the Uly and just buy the racks for the Multi to use them.

Wow- congrats -glad that worked out and the S is nice -you will be pleased

How's the weather in NM -at least you can do some riding?

It's 34 degrees here near Philadelphia.

I got my 07 S last Dec 22 and looked at it in the garage often. But did get some days -warm enought, to ride over winter -good to break bike in and get used to it- then once warm- ready to go.

But you should be good all along- I'd love to visit and ride NM sometime -sounds like a beautiful place -is riding any good there? Variety, twists, etc

Mark

Keep us posted- pics etc enjoy

PS Sbs website- what a bunch of great sports pix- yeah -sports pix

www.sportsbybrooks.com

go photos and look at links -for all you other sports fans out there
jmhinkle
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:13 am Reply with quote

The weather here is actually cold and wet right now which is rare. Definitely a ride all year long state just have to watch for the occasional snow storm in the winter. Temps will get cold, but I have heated gear for that. As far as riding, I think NM has some of the best riding of all the states. Northern NM is all mountains which result in amazing roads. 64 between Tres Piedras and Tierra Amarilla is supposed to be one of the best rides in the country. We also have the famous "enchanted circle" just to the East of that. There are many roads that I have yet to experience as well. One of my favorites is the road that goes from Jemez Springs thru Los Alamos (yes the bomb place) and into Santa Fe. If you ever come this way, look me up and we'll do some riding. I still have lots of exploring to do myself. I've only been here 10 years.
Dannnn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:49 am Reply with quote

Can you give me an idea of the deal you got?

I've been trolling for a private sale but my closest dealer recently got a 08 S in stock and I just saw another dealer 100 miles away has a 07 S demo on hand.

Thanks, Dan