Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: tiger vs. mts
brynildsen
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:50 pm Reply with quote

Please help. I am 6'4" and have a huge problem finding bikes to ride that are useful and fun. I have three kids so my riding fun is around country roads and in town for an hour or two at a time. Every now and then I get to the mountains for a two-four hour ride. I hear great things about the Tiger as well as the MTS. The Tiger seems to have more room and is comfy as anything in my living room. But, the MTS is more fun and still looks comfy. My st2 I ride now is killing my knees on longer trips. Anyone have experience with both these bikes that can help me figure out which to focus on? This is the bike I will have for the next five years, so it has to be right one.
ynotbiker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:06 pm Reply with quote

Hi, I own both of these bikes. I've been riding the tiger for about 2 years and I absolutely love it. It took me down to Portugal no problems from England. Fuel comsumption is absolutely excellent- 200 miles+ out of a tank. Triumph is well know for its reliability on build, but I would say that being an englishman Smile The tiger is a wolf in sheeps clothing, I have surprised a lot of sports riders on occasions. The tiger is very comfortable. The stock seat hurts my backside after about 200 miles.. [gel seat needed]

I've had the multistrada for a couple of months. The riding position is still very comfortable. It seems to eat a lot of fuel. I haven't really had chance to put it to the test, as the roads in England at the moment are a bit greasy and wet. On the one occasion I did find a dry morning, it did put a smile on my face. It was a bit strange at first with it being a v twin, but once I got used to the rev range, 4-5000, and kept it there, it pulled like a train. I don't think the build quality is as good as my triumph. At the moment I can't really tell you about the multi. I don't want to pass judgement until a nice spring day, get those pegs scraped Smile At the moment, I am more happy with my tiger, but I trravel long distances every summer. I also think the multi would be an excellent bit of kit for what you are needing it for. Then again.. the multi.. then again.. the tiger.. then again the multi Confused Whatever decision you make, I think you would be happy with either of them. But then again, 6ft 4".. I would be swinging more to the tiger.. and scare some sports riders. But the multi could also do this aswell.. Confused All the best in your choice anyway. Have a happy new year. Tony.
brynildsen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:43 am Reply with quote

Thanks for the good advice. All of my practical sides to me say buy the Tiger. I'm 36 and it will be the most comfortable for me five years down the road. Then the fun factor sits in and says I want the Duke. Sounds like you do some serious riding and I thank you for your time to help me out. I'll ask you one more question. My best way to get this under way is to buy a Tiger thats a 2002 or 2003 and sell my st2. I'll probably end up with money in the pocket. Are the Tigers that are two to three years old as good as the 2005 models? Or are they pretty much the same? What year is yours? Thanks again and have a great New year. Scott
ynotbiker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:31 am Reply with quote

Hi, at the minute I have the 2005. It has the non spoke wheels which means there is a better variety of tyres to choose from. It has shorter forks at the front and rear suspension is different. But to tell you the truth, I used to have a 2001i green tiger and I really wish I had saved my money and kept my 2001 tiger. With the 2005 I also got hard bags and heated grips- then again, there were a lot of miles on my 2001 tiger. IMO, if I was you, I would go for the older model. It will still last you for the time you want it, 4years etc, and still get a tidy sum when you sell it. The older model will handle just as well. Scare those power rangers on the twisty bits! Triumphs are built to last, plus, the tiger would be better if you are having a pillion- my daughter likes the tiger better. Anyway, I hope this all helps. Get in touch if you can think of anything else, because its hard earned cash that you're paying Smile Cheers, Tony.ps,try and test ride both bikes even if its a long trip to do so it will be peace of mind and worth it in the long run.
ynotbiker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:33 am Reply with quote

This is a website I use for my tiger. I think you'll get all of the information you need out of these lads. Good luck.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/triumphtiger/