Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Long distance rides
Goto page 1, 2  Next
fsbk366
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:57 pm Reply with quote

Hey guys, this is my first post... Smile

A quick history on me...I've been riding for about 8 years now. I've owned a '99 ZX-6R, then an '03 RC51, and now my '06 600rr. Been riding the track for the past 3 years, though I doubt I am going to spend much more money on that. I'm getting less interested in going fast and more interested in going places. Lately I've been toying with the idea of selling my 600rr and picking up an 1100s.

Other then the short rides to work and back, the typical 'long' runs are up in the mountains on weekends. Those are usually only about 150-200 mile trips. The problem is that when I get home, everything hurts, especially my back and wrists. The longest distance I've ridden was from Atlanta, GA to Jacksonville, FL.....something like 350 miles in one day.

Obviously the Multistrada is going to be more comfortable then a full on sportbike, but the question is by how much? There are a few long trips (~2000 miles over a few days) that I'd like to go on, but don't want to be hurting or exhausted when I get there. How long of a ride can you go on without feeling the pain?

-Nick
eviltwin
MTS: 2007 1100S (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:14 pm Reply with quote

Welcome from all of us!

I've found that the ergos of the multi significantly reduce pain/fatigue on long rides, yet amazingly, the bike still retains tons of sporty character. The biggest complaints I hear are seat hardness/comfortability and wind buffeting depending upon rider height. Some people still prefer more of a forward lean as well, but that is another product of rider height.

These things are hard to gauge on demo rides but I'm sure many folks here will add their $.02

07 MTS1100S
07 Team USA 999S
fsbk366
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:29 pm Reply with quote

I did notice the seat was a little stiff when I sat on one in the showroom. I checked out the Corbin site and it looks like they have a very comfy seat. Anyone have one of those?
bonefish
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:30 pm Reply with quote

fsbk366 wrote:
I did notice the seat was a little stiff when I sat on one in the showroom. I checked out the Corbin site and it looks like they have a very comfy seat. Anyone have one of those?

Air Hawk small cruiser size, problem solved. Ride for hours. Very Happy Very Happy

MTS: 2006 620 Dark (Flat black)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:41 pm Reply with quote

I went from a cbr1000rr to a 620 Multistrada, completely for comfort reasons and the two are night and day. I could only ride the cbr for about an hour, and then I was spent for the rest of the day. The Multistrada doesn't really have any limits for me, although an aftermarket seat may be in the future. The power difference is substantial, but I never used the hp of the Honda and I'm having more fun on the Ducati. Surprisingly, the Ducati gets much more attention as well!

CoastalRider
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:52 pm Reply with quote

I have issues with my right wrist and shoulders, and have found the Genmar riser, which lifts the handlebars up and back, to be of tremendous help. I went on a 1,600 mile over 4+ days this summer without any ill effects. Note that I have a 2003 and the newer ones might have different handlebars, but my conclusion is the same. Lifting the bars up and back should help the body. I'm 5' 9" btw.

I've found freeway driving at 65 mph+ to be hard on my body, and try to take the 55 mph backroads. I could go all day at 55-60 mph, but after about 30 miles at 65+ I want to get off the bike and stretch.
Scrambles
MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:34 pm Reply with quote

fsbk366 wrote:
Obviously the Multistrada is going to be more comfortable then a full on sportbike, but the question is by how much?

Tons!

The Multi is very comfortable in my experience. The biggest comfort complaints I have are the shape of the OEM bars (they need more sweep, IMO) and the seat leans forward slightly. I plan on getting some different bars in the spring, and the seat isn't that much of a bother unless I'm on it for more than 6 hrs. Others here have said Rich's Custom seats are superb, and cost about as much as the Corbin or Sargent.

MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:49 pm Reply with quote

It's going to be awesome in comparison.

It needs a new seat. That's the single biggest complaint I had after a weekend last year with somewhere over a 1000 miles.. my ass hurt to levels I couldn't have imagined before the ride. My plan was an Airhawk and a sheepskin seat cover from a company who's name I've forgotten.

I could ride all day and night if my ass didn't hurt... the ergos are great geometrically.

(I'm 6'4" and 230+lbs, for reference)
Habanero
MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:58 pm Reply with quote

I know a few guys that think the original seat was great. I have the DP gel seat, it is perfect for me.

When I take off on a long trip, I like to work myself into shape by starting out with 2-3 350-400 mile days, after that I find myself doing 450, 500+ miles per day. By the time I head for home after a week or 10 days, I find myself knocking out 700+ without much problem.

I virtually never ride the slab.

The multi eats the miles. I wake early, rested and eager to get on the road..

Awesome touring bike as far as I am concerned.
Scrambles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:44 pm Reply with quote

Just as a reference, the '03 & '04 models have a much harder seat than the later models. My '06's seat is soft enough for me, only the angle is a problem, and only after time in the saddle.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:21 pm Reply with quote

The stock seat works fine for me now that I have learned to slip back until my ass hits the passenger hump. This puts more of my thigh on the seat and thus distributes the load better. My Renthal bars have more sweep than OEM so my wrists are no longer the limiting factor for a long ride. Last summer I put 6800 miles on the bike in less than two weeks so I guess this setup works OK for me (5' 11", 180 lbs).

On a related note, mark your calendar to join us in Marlinton, WV, on 30 May-2 June '08. This is an all Ducati sport touring rally. More details to follow but it will be a good excuse to put some miles on your new bike.

Peter Y.
ms620chick
MTS: 2006 620 Dark

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:42 am Reply with quote

I can go all day on the stock seat and w stock windscreen...could be my egros 5'5 120lbs.
lotus54
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:38 pm Reply with quote

I have no problem with the stock '05 and later seat either. I've done many 700+ mile days with no problem.
But I don't just sit there, I flex the muscles, move around.
Like Habanero, I avoid the freeways and main roads as much as possible. The Multi's strong point is not the freeway anyway- it is much happier on the tight, twisty backroads. Bumpy is great too.

I changed my bars for Rizomas, with a couple of inches more sweep-back. That makes a big difference for me. But not everyone fits the same bar, you need to find what works best for you.
I'm 5'10", average sized.

Mark

Last edited by lotus54 on Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Beta XTrainer 300
turbodude
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:44 pm Reply with quote

I bought my multi to replace a superbike and for longer rides. It fits the bill perfectly for me. The mulit is still very sporty feeling, but the riding position is still very comfortable. I can now do all day rides without fear of pain..

The hardest thing for me at first was to get over the whole looks thing. The multi isn't as sexy as some of the superbikes are. I have grown to like the looks because it's a form follows function kindof thing..
rummaggio
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:36 pm Reply with quote

The Multi was my first bike which I took on a 6 week tour with more than one 700+ mile day. The Stock S bars worked well but as a few noted, the Rizoma's offer more sweep and and less leaned over feel. I didn't have the Rizoma's on long enough to make a final decision - my bike was totaled thanks to a drunk driver.

The stock seat was and not so nice on the 2006 models. I bought a Sargent and swear by it (personal opinion of course.)

In my Multi hiatus, I am looking at the Supersport series (800ss and 900ss) for a sportier offering until the new design comes up. Since I had two Multis (620 and 1000), I am trying a different ride style and hope to have both residing in my garage at some point. I see track days ahead.

While in the dealer looking at some old stock, they had a few of the newer 1100s. Damn, I still love the look of that bike and really miss riding it. For me if there were one bike, it is the Multi.

The stock screen also worked well for me but that is the result of the moon and tide along with torso height. There were times on my trip where I wished for no screen at all (the southern states are brutally hot in July - lesson learned there.)

All the best on your decisions