No Multistrada

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:21 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great info! Very Happy
atypical1
MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:11 pm Reply with quote

fsbk366 wrote:
Hey guys, this is my first post... Smile

A quick history on me...I've been riding for about 8 years now. I've owned a '99 ZX-6R, then an '03 RC51, and now my '06 600rr. Been riding the track for the past 3 years, though I doubt I am going to spend much more money on that. I'm getting less interested in going fast and more interested in going places. Lately I've been toying with the idea of selling my 600rr and picking up an 1100s.

Other then the short rides to work and back, the typical 'long' runs are up in the mountains on weekends. Those are usually only about 150-200 mile trips. The problem is that when I get home, everything hurts, especially my back and wrists. The longest distance I've ridden was from Atlanta, GA to Jacksonville, FL.....something like 350 miles in one day.

Obviously the Multistrada is going to be more comfortable then a full on sportbike, but the question is by how much? There are a few long trips (~2000 miles over a few days) that I'd like to go on, but don't want to be hurting or exhausted when I get there. How long of a ride can you go on without feeling the pain?

-Nick

Great first post and welcome to the forum.

I routinely ride long distances (just did 1000 this past weekend). I have the stock seat and it has never bothered me really. I wear underwear without seams in it (underarmor is good) and find that it helps a lot. Taking gas breaks help a lot too. Just moving around a bit is normally enough to make me not sore.

Have fun and take lots of pics for us!

james

PhilipMSPT
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:32 pm Reply with quote

I have a Multi with DP gel seat and Eagle Touring windshield.

I've riden my Multi from L.A to San Francisco, Las Vegas, and Phoenix; and for all those trips, the only thing that bothered me was my right forearm/wrist due to the prolonged continuous use of the throttle.

You can remedy this by getting a "throttle rocker" or a forearm tendonitis brace (I use both for long trips).

Otherwise, I would have to say that, overall, the Multi is a very comfortable and ergonomic bike.

MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:53 pm Reply with quote

Cycle Cat bars, stock 2005 seat, DP Maximum Performance shield. Coming back from Wisconsin last August, I did a 14 hour day followed by a 16 hour day.....mostly back roads. My butt was kinda tired by the end of the day, but really not bad. I'm about 5'10'' and 145 pounds.....and 69 years old.

Ken

JohnB
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:10 pm Reply with quote

bonefish wrote:
fsbk366 wrote:
I did notice the seat was a little stiff when I sat on one in the showroom. I checked out the Corbin site and it looks like they have a very comfy seat. Anyone have one of those?

Air Hawk small cruiser size, problem solved. Ride for hours. Very Happy Very Happy

I recommend the medium cruiser (14" x 14") size. It's a perfect fit.
Robert C
MTS: 2007 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:27 pm Reply with quote

Second the Airhawk in the medium cruiser size, although the '07 stock seat isn't too bad. At 6'1" I found the stock windscreen to deliver too much wind to the chest/head at speeds above about 65 mph. I fitted a laminar touring screen which eliminates the chest blast and bobble head at higher speeds ( for me anyway). For one up I prefer it to my RT for comfort. I kind of like the stock S bars myself.

Bob

GOTJ
MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:44 pm Reply with quote

Bob,

The Laminar touring windscreen gets the air completely above your helmet with no buffeting? I'm the same height as you with a pants inseam of 32". Do you think the screen would work for me?
Robert C

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:06 am Reply with quote

GOTJ, I believe it would. I have a 33" inseam so it sounds like we probably sit about the same. I use the Airhawk most of the time and it adds about a 1/4 to 1/2" to seat height. In clean air there is no appreciable buffeting. When passing a semi or "drafting" one I still get a very slight buffeting, not even an annoyance really. I really like the Laminar and won't be switching back, although you can switch screens in minutes. You do get a little more wind noise, earplugs handle that. Of course I have been riding behind a barn door on my RT the past 6 years and have gotten used to not fighting the wind at speed. I am going to see my painter after the first of the year and see if he can paint the screen to match the stock one. He has some Ducati paint laying around.

Bob

johneric
MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:03 am Reply with quote

I have a suggestion for those who feel the stock seat and aftermarket seats make them slide foreward. I feel the same way so when I put on my sargent seat I added spacing washers to the front mounting bolts and even that small amount makes a big difference..It raised the front of the seat about 5mm but my seat now feels fairly flat. You have to be careful not to raise it too high or the seat won't fit properly into the tank. Johneric
dmk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:35 pm Reply with quote

GOTJ wrote:
Bob,

The Laminar touring windscreen gets the air completely above your helmet with no buffeting? I'm the same height as you with a pants inseam of 32". Do you think the screen would work for me?

You'll just have to try it. I'm 5'10" (on a good day) with 32" inseam and the Laminar with Lip is not quite high enough to throw the air over my head with no buffeting. I guess I sit more upright than most.

johneric wrote:
I have a suggestion for those who feel the stock seat and aftermarket seats make them slide foreward. I feel the same way so when I put on my sargent seat I added spacing washers to the front mounting bolts and even that small amount makes a big difference..It raised the front of the seat about 5mm but my seat now feels fairly flat. You have to be careful not to raise it too high or the seat won't fit properly into the tank. Johneric

The stock seat feels and looks flat to me. I suspect part of the problem for some people is the reach to the bars. If you keep your back straight, bend at the hips, and lean into the bars, your butt shouldn't slide forward. But if you try to sit upright, your back arches forward and your butt is pulled forward.

Dave

Bohdan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:29 pm Reply with quote

dmk wrote:
The stock seat feels and looks flat to me. I suspect part of the problem for some people is the reach to the bars. If you keep your back straight, bend at the hips, and lean into the bars, your butt shouldn't slide forward. But if you try to sit upright, your back arches forward and your butt is pulled forward.

+1.
For me also seat is perfectly flat. Another explanation could be that people who previously rode bikes with pegs set more rearward unconsciously slide forward to compensate for more forward pegs on Multi.
Just another take on this.
notarian
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:31 pm Reply with quote

Comfort seat, taller windscreen, heated grips, hand guards. That's all you need for 8 hours in the saddle. Butt starts to go after 6-7 so 8 is not a problem really. Concentration is gone long before that and automatic comes into play.

Reality is 8 hours in the Alps, mountain passes, switch back after switch back, long fast sweepers, no motorways - splaying it out - the full monty.

Note

2004 Multistrada 1000DS
2005 KTM Duke II
2006 KTM 950 sm
2007 Ducati 1098s
canyonchaser
MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:59 pm Reply with quote

I did over 5000 miles in two weeks, not a single ache or pain. I even thought the OEM seat was fantastic!

I'm 5'6" 150lbs.

I also come from a track/racing background - so I know what you mean by the pain of the sport-bike torture rack. I think you'll enjoy the comfort and capability of an MTS.

dp