Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Very close to buying one!!
Larry
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:08 pm Reply with quote

Hello all from Florida, USA!!

I'm new to the forum. I've been watching the strada for a couple of years now and the bike has finally reached my price point. (slightly used for $8000 - 8500, new from $9000 -9500) so I am now in the market.

I have a question before I take the plunge. I am 6'1" and 220Lbs and I was wonderng how others my size fit on the bike. I see in all the advertising there's a skinny 130lb italian man riding one through the Alps in full black leathers, but what about the ... ehem... better-fed riders out there?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tee-Dub

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:25 pm Reply with quote

$9-$9.5K for a new one seems a bit low, but if you can get one for that, go for it.

I am 6'02", 210lbs and have never been as comfortable or had as much fun as I do on the Multistrada. There is plenty of room to move around on the seat and your legs arent cramped up under/behind you. It has one of the most natural riding positions of any "sport" bike I've ridden. The only difference I notice now is instead of my knees hurting, it is my back. Since you sit up nice and tall, most of your weight is on your lower back and butt. I actually find that most sportbikes with a forward lean don't hurt my back at all, but kill my knees.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:09 pm Reply with quote

Here's a brand new 2004 Red that sold for $9000

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...TRK%3AMEWA%3AIT
GREATLAKESRIDER

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:36 pm Reply with quote

Yeah Larry I saw that $9000.00 Multi. Makes you think that dealer cost must be $9000.00 for an 04' which I think retailed for $11,495. Might help in negotiations! I don't know if you saw the black 04' in KY on e bay with 650 miles for $8000w/1 year of warranty left. I was going to buy that one until I saw the brand new one for $9000. I don't know about you but i'd be willing to pay a $1000 more for a year of warranty and that feeling of a brand new purchase! Laughing

About your size question--I read about a guy 6'6" and 285lbs Shocked that was comfortable on a multi but I can't remember where I read it. Think

I'm 6'4" and 220lbs and the most comfortable bike I've ridden is a GS1150 Adventure with a seat height of over 35". But I gotta have a multi! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

By the way, must be nice to be able to ride all year Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:32 am Reply with quote

James, contrary to popular belief, our riding season isn't all year. In the summer, it's so hot and humid, you dread putting on your helmet. It also rains every day for an hour, and it's so hot that raingear is out of the question. Let's just say you can ride between June and November, but it's not always fun to (especially July, August and September - pure shite). Try riding in a hurricane!

But for the other 6 months, the weather is heaven. Sunny, breezzy, dry 70-85 every day. Now...if the roads had a curve or hill, I'd really be happy.

By the way, the black 04 with 640 miles on it went for $8000 even. Too bad I want red or silver. I'll wait for a used one between 8000 and 8500 and I'll grab it. But, 640 miles!! Geez what a deal. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...TRK%3AMEWA%3AIT
GREATLAKESRIDER

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:31 am Reply with quote

Very Happy Learn something new everyday Larry Very Happy

I rode my bike to Orlando to visit some friends May of 03'. It was so hot from Atlanta to Orlando I could only ride in a t-shirt Once I entered Florida I'm pretty sure I took my helmet off which I really don't like doing but the heat was unbearable. Ended up with a farmers tan from riding in the t-shirt Very Happy I had to ride around in shorts + t-shirt the rest of the week with no helmet Cool

Had to leave 10:00p.m a day early because of 2 huge storms moving east with about a 300-400mile break in between--I rode 80-100mph all night long going by 2 different police cars parked in the median-they didn't even flip on the lights Very Happy --arrived just south of Atlanta to find standing water on I-75 for a short time Mad The rain stopped north of Atlanta luckily-kept on riding until Lake City, Tn.-had to stop for 45 min because the fog was so thick around the mountains-after the fog lifted the weather was perfect all the way to Michigan Very Happy I arrived home 18hrs 15min and 1208 miles later completely exhausted LaughingI never intended to ride straight thru, but when I reached Ohio, the adrenaline started pumping knowing I had only one more state to pass thru. Some called it stupidity some called it lunacy--I call it living Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:13 pm Reply with quote

James,

Where in Michigan are you located? Section 8 Superbike is having their Grand Opening this Saturday at 6:00pm. Very Happy Now that there is going to be a "good" Ducati dealer in the Detroit area I have decided to finally get a Multistrada. I am turning my SV650 into a track-only bike and have been waffling for several months on what to replace it with. Always kept coming back to the Multistrada but was hesitant given the lack of a good dealer. Up til now I have had to use Rosenau when servicing my wife's Monster. No more. Very Happy

Wade
GREATLAKESRIDER

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:50 pm Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi Wade, I'm from Jackson. I met the guys from Section 8 at last years bike show at Cobo Hall. Seemed like nice people. I just sold by 1150rt a few months ago and just like you, I'm trying to decide on what to replace it with. I think I've got to have a Multi. A friend and I just went to Rosenau's last saturday--too many salesman attacking us as soon as we walked in. I don't really care for that. Sounds like you're not very happy with there service. I am exactly 1/2 way between Rosenau's and Life cycle in K-zoo. I'm not sure where Section 8 moved too. Good day Very Happy

MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:23 pm Reply with quote

Hi Wade and James,
I’m in Toledo and just bought a new MTS in November. Smile Cool I bought it from Rizzon in New Jersey (really nice folks Very Happy – you guys out east are sure lucky). Now I have to find someone to service my bike, as there are no Ducati dealers in Toledo. Detroit is closest. I talked to Bill Keros at Section 8 last fall. He seemed very knowledgeable, but I haven’t talk to anyone who has used them. Please let me know who you would recommend. I’ll be needing my first service in the Spring.

�Keep your stick on the ice!�
� Red Green
Cool Person Test
GREATLAKESRIDER

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:29 pm Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi Nick, as far as service goes, I can't help you. I'm not that familiar with either dealer in Detroit Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:00 pm Reply with quote

Hello Nick,

The owner of Section 8 is a former Ducati racer, and certified mechanic. Everyone I know who has done business with them swears by them. They also offer a 25% discount to anyone who does track days. Very Happy I'll be using them for service from now on. Here's a link to their website:

http://www.section8superbike.com/profile.htm

The other Ducati dealer in town is Rosenau, who have one Ducati mechanic. They are a high volume Big Four dealer, and the service department is about what you would expect from such a dealer. Anything Ducati related requires a long wait period.

I never tried Classic Cycles, who also sold Ducatis, as numerous people I know have had negative experiences. When I purchased my wife's Monster they wouldn't budge on price. They recently dropped the Ducati line altogether.

BTW, Jason of Section 8 posts a lot on the Speedzilla forum. Here is the Grand Opening annoucement.

http://speedzilla.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=37750

Now, I just need to decide on the S or standard version. Think

Wade
nickybcareful
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:56 pm Reply with quote

Hi again Wade and James,
Thanks a bunch for your feedback. Smile I had the feeling that Section 8 might be a little more expensive. But that’s okay as long as their prices are fair. I would much rather do business with a dealer who is passionate about Ducati, and the MTS. Smile
BTW do you know anything about the Ducs Unlimited club in Wixom Michigan?http://www.ducsunlimited.com I am an adrenalin junky, of sorts (aren’t we all? Eh? ). I love downhill skiing (mostly Salt Lake City – Hey Jantah, if you have anything close, then you’re in heaven Very Happy ). I do a lot of trips to SE Ohio. Fabulous roads that I ride on Sunday morning until my forearms turn into knots from braking and accelerating.
So far, I have hesitated to ride in a group because the other bikers either want to go too fast or too slow – I always want to be on the edge (where the fun is). But lately, I’ve become interested in ‘adventure touring’. Do you know these guys? Do they do trips around the Great Lakes? I’m gassed up and ready to go…

�Keep your stick on the ice!�
� Red Green
Cool Person Test
badittude

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:59 pm Reply with quote

Larry, Im from Baton Rouge, La., and have a red 04 for sale. I frequently come over to north Florida to dive, and have the means to haul it if you are interested.
I wont call it mint, but it doesnt have a scratch. Nipples still on tires, brakes fine, no shudder, all stock plus two AGV Helmets to match.
8k delivered.
shaneevans1@cox.net if you are interested.

(Ill be over for the weekend of 11,12,13 Feb for some diving)