Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Dealer in NYC
davidhpark
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:24 pm Reply with quote

Hi.

I'm considering buying a used 620 MTS to leave in NY for when I'm in town. I'm an experienced motorcyclist, living/working mostly in CA. The smaller displacement for my intended use doesn't bother me (city runabout).

What are decent prices for the bikes used with what (average) miles?

Just don't know the local dealers in the city. Any idea if there are still any new bikes for sale? How are they re: customer service (eg knowledge, friendliness, reliability for timely/efficient repair, etc.).

TIA for any answers. When I lived in NYC I had two bikes there before and it was always fun to ride in, around, and out of the city. I'm hoping to be back in NY for more time in the coming years so leaving bike there to ride is definitely in the plans. Drop me a note here or by e-mail.

David H. Park
www.dhpmoto.com
david (<at>) dhpmoto.com
DR14
MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:33 pm Reply with quote

Hi David,
The dealer in the city is Ducati Soho. Kevin who's also on the list here bought his 620 from them, they are pricey but convenient as they are right in the city. My dealership is north of the city about 50 miles in Fort Montgomery NY called Rockwell Cycles. They're a great shop and know a ton about Ducatis and are very friendly people. They have a demo 620 dark there has very low miles on it. Don't know the price offhand but you should check them out:

http://www.rockwellcycles.com

-Dave
archkevinbrown
MTS: 2006 620 (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:24 am Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I saw a 620 Dark in the Rockwell showroom on Saturday. Haven't seen a 620 at Ducati New York since I took one off their hands in August. I was disappointed when they swore they couldn't get me a red one. Though it's not the closest, you might try Cliff's in Danbury CT. I haven't heard or read anything to speak of about the other local dealer, Gold Coast on Long Island, but I'm sure they'd rather sell you a Bimota.

'09 Suzuki DR650 Nameless 9/'10 - 5/'11
'08 Aprilia RSV Lara, aka Silver Lion 3/'10 - current
regbafazool
MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Black)

Location: Brooklyn, New York ....land of pot-holes, salt, and homicidal taxi cabs !

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:27 am Reply with quote

+1 for Rockwell Cycles !!

1958 BSA A7
1946 Indian Chief
1934 Sunbeam Model 80
1922 Henderson Deluxe 4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:38 pm Reply with quote

I was at Supermoto Italia (St. James, LI) this weekend. They have a new, red 620 on the floor but it has a deposit on it. Joe, the owner, says he can get more new 620s.
archkevinbrown
MTS: 2006 620 (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:21 pm Reply with quote

JohnB wrote:
I was at Supermoto Italia (St. James, LI) this weekend. They have a new, red 620 on the floor but it has a deposit on it. Joe, the owner, says he can get more new 620s.

Rolling Eyes I'm sure if you asked at Ducati NY, they'd tell you there are no more new 620 on the planet, and the only MTS available at all are the color and model they have on their floor.

In other words, don't even bother with the shop in the city. They're generally OK, and certainly convenient, but they don't want to sell you the bike you're looking for. LI sound like your best bet for options, but like the other Dave mentioned, there's one ready to go up in Ft. Montgomery.

Last edited by archkevinbrown on Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

'09 Suzuki DR650 Nameless 9/'10 - 5/'11
'08 Aprilia RSV Lara, aka Silver Lion 3/'10 - current
PeterPRM
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:49 pm Reply with quote

If Joe says that he can get them, he can. He is a strait shooter.

JohnB
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:57 pm Reply with quote

PeterPRM wrote:
If Joe says that he can get them, he can. He is a strait shooter.

He was showing off a brand new Desmosedeci RR this weekend. He had to move a couple of Bimotas out of the way so it could be displayed as soon as you walked in. He sure has a nice selection of toys in his shop. Ducati, Bimota, Benelli and a new white 2006 HD Electraglide Police Special (converted for civilians).
aschwrtz
MTS: 2007 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:37 am Reply with quote

I have had horrible experiences with Ducati in Manhattan. I live and work in Manhattan, but I chose to buy my '07 MTS 1100S and my '08 Hypermotard 1100S from Cross Country Ducati / BMW in Metuchen, NJ. Not only did I buy my bikes from Cross Country, I get them serviced there too. The salesmen at Ducati SoHo don't know the products that they're selling and the fact that they're the only Ducati dealer in Manhattan fuels their "I'm doing you a favor" attitude. They don't appreciate your business and they will do everything they can to spend as little time on your transaction as possible. Cross Country, on the other hand, discounted BOTH by bikes and their service guys are accessible and eager to help, whether you're having them do the work or you're just seeking advice. The 40 minute drive to Metuchen is well worth the difference in the level of service.
jbro
MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:31 pm Reply with quote

+1 for Rockwell Cycles.

I'm surprised at the negative reviews of Ducati SOHO however; they were excellent with me (almost bought a multi there but went out-of-town based on price).

Another consideration is where to keep it. Moto garage space in Manhattan typically runs $175 per month....
a_cletus_cracker
MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:31 pm Reply with quote

Fast by Farracci has a 620. fastbyferracci.com.

Ask for Vince.

MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:10 am Reply with quote

what's hilarious is the dude hasn't chimed back in on this thread so it's just a bunch
of us telling each other stuff we all know Surprised

-Dave
PeterPRM
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:09 am Reply with quote

LMAO!!! That happens all the time here.

aschwrtz
MTS: 2007 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:52 pm Reply with quote

jbro wrote:
+1 for Rockwell Cycles.

I'm surprised at the negative reviews of Ducati SOHO however; they were excellent with me (almost bought a multi there but went out-of-town based on price).

My experience w/ Ducati SoHo: About a year ago I went in to buy an '07 1100S. They said they had one and could have it prepped by the next day. I gave them my credit card and they charged the entire price of the bike. When I got home with the VIN # and called my insurance company I was told that the VIN that I had was for an '06 1000. I called Ducati SoHo and asked them what the hell was going on. They said it was a mistake, apologized and then advised me that they didn't have an '07 1100S in stock. The salesman then tried to convince me to buy the 1000 (for not much less than I'd pay for the '07 1100S). Very long story short, I had to have the NYPD in that store before those jackasses would credit the $15,000 back to my Visa. That charge was on my Visa for almost two months. I'll never walk into that place again. [/b]