Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Coming Over To The DucSide
GaryO
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:26 am Reply with quote

Been on bikes for 30 years dirt and street. Had several jap dirt bikes and Harley street bikes. My current Dyna Sport is nice, powerful and sounds great, but I am just tired of drinking the Koolaid and trying to be a 1% er that really is not my reason for riding.

Always loved the sound and looks of Ducatis, so now the Dyna's on the market and I am going to look at a 2004 Multistrada, 18k miles, hard bags nice seat and owner says well maintained with 18 k touring miles on it. I am 6' 4" and weigh in at 250. Too big for this bike?...What's a new Duc rider to look for on these bikes? And the silly question: Will I be disappointed?

And nice forum you folks have here.
Clyde
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:10 am Reply with quote

Hey possible duc dude,

I am 6-7 and 300 ish and I love my multi, this thing rocks! Lots of room and power and handling and it looks cool to my eye.

I am sure you will love yours when you get it... just make sure you get one and experience it, it is an amazing design.
Fishwagon
MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:44 am Reply with quote

6'1" 230 here, and I love this bike, although I plan on having the forks re-sprung, there is no overwhelming reason to do so, just want to do it to maximize performance when riding the twisties....suspension was dialed in for a 180lb rider

I ride two up all the time as well, and the bike is simply amazing....sport bike performance, touring ergo's, bags....really is an exceptional design...

Rich

Father, thank you, for letting me fly this flight, for the privilege of being able to be in this position, to be in this wondrous place, seeing all these many startling, wonderful things that you have created.

- Gordon Cooper, orbiting earth, 22May1963
mollycbr123
MTS: 2008 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:05 am Reply with quote

After the Dyna Sport you will be amazed at what you have missing out on when you ride the Multistrada. Just be sure to ditch the pill helmet and chaps, and get some proper riding gear.

'12 Multistrada S Touring
Yes, I do miss my air cooled multi...
Brand spanking new '16 Thruxton R
GaryO
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:05 pm Reply with quote

I agree the riding apparel will be changed out too, although I never was a leather guy. I wore the FXRG fabric stuff and found that very weather proof...leather never was that comfortable and too cold or too hot and terrible when wet.

I guess that's part of my re-evaluation of why I ride. I still ride the dirt too so I am looking for the same type handling on twistys which are abundant in Northern CA...Rt 36 Red Bluff to the coast...amazing road!
JohnB
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:36 pm Reply with quote

An '04 may have valve guide issues. See whether the owner has had them replaced. If not and the 6k, 12k and 18k service has been done, then your machine is probably not affected since the problem should have become evident by now.
GaryO
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:33 pm Reply with quote

Will do John B. I have heard about the valve guide issue as well. I can contact the dealer in Medford OR, and inquiry about this bikes service record. The owner claims this was the dealer he purchased from and has performed the service. I haven't heard of anything else except the low fuel sensor may perform erractically. Seems the 07 fuel sensor is the fix.

And I believe 2004 US models did not have catilytic converters, but I may be mistaken on that one.
JohnB
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:59 am Reply with quote

GaryO wrote:
Will do John B. I have heard about the valve guide issue as well. I can contact the dealer in Medford OR, and inquiry about this bikes service record. The owner claims this was the dealer he purchased from and has performed the service. I haven't heard of anything else except the low fuel sensor may perform erractically. Seems the 07 fuel sensor is the fix.

And I believe 2004 US models did not have catilytic converters, but I may be mistaken on that one.

Right you are, Gary. The '03 thru '06 have a "cat box" but no cat. There's just a "pre-muffler" in there. Feel free to trash it in favor of something more sanitary like a Staintune header.
As far as the fuel sensor goes, expect it to show empty at about half full. I use the trip odometer like I've done on most of my other bikes in the last 30 years. I'm not sure if the '07 sensor will offer any relief or if it's even easily transferable to your '04.
Happy motoring! Smile
dundidder
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:55 am Reply with quote

+1

6'4" 215#

'07 1100 (red)

Rich in Placitas
falcofred
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:16 am Reply with quote

6"3" 210 lbs. love it
I've got a 2004 with 26,000 miles no valve problems, no real problems at all.
I"ve installed a Sargent seat and bar end mirrors
My exhaust system consists of the Termingnoni muffler that the original owner installed with Staintune head pipes and pre muffler eliminator. Looks and sounds great, mellow, not too loud or obnoxious.

MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:43 pm Reply with quote

I am not trying to be an ass. Seriously! But I after reading some of these post I realized just how versatile the multi realy is. Sounds like the big guys out there feel very comfy on the bike, and I am only 5'9", 170 and the bike suites me just fine as well.
How cool is that.
GaryO
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:50 pm Reply with quote

I appreciate and welcome all comments. Sounds like the Multi fits all sizes and is a reliable bike. Just as I thought. Thanks all!