Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: mts620 for a newbie? (long)
nostatic
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:29 am Reply with quote

OK...so it is somewhat classic mid life crisis, but in reality I'm just whack. It started about 2.5 years ago when I bought an old ('79) 911. It started off as a daily and fun driver, but soon I heard the siren song of the track. Now it has roll bar, harness, proper seats, and I've done a number of DE events, and am starting an 8 race short track race series. About 12 years ago I used to race bicycles (both road and mountain), so I'm no stranger to 2 wheels. Going back even further, I started on a dirt bike at age 8, and briefly had an enduro for street use when I was about 18.

So with a relationship change (ie a new girlfriend who used to ride a Seca II), and my increased love for all things wheeled, I now have the bug. I've signed up for an MSF class, and have been considering my bike options. The problem is I'm used to "good" stuff (my 911, although it is old, it takes a thrashing at the track and still happily does my work commute, my bicycles were nice Moots ti frames, etc). Whenever I dive into something, I've ended up buying something "budget", then rapidly moving up to something more serious.

Hence my looking at a Ducati. I don't want to track it (yet...I didn't think I'd be tracking the 911 when I bought it, but rather I always loved air-cooled cars), and would like to be able to do some drives to work (in LA traffic no less). I don't feel the need to impress anybody with my speed on the street (again, hence my going to the track), but I appreciate air cooled goodness and style.

In order to stay on budget, I've been considering a Monster 620 or MTS 620. I'm drawn a bit more to the MTS because it is a bit more upright, although my g/f is short and she's always dreamed of a Monster, so I could also get one of those first, then give her that one and get a MTS later. Or just get both at the same time (quantity discount...ha!).

Thoughts on a MTS 620 as a "getting back into the game" bike?
Rocker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:34 am Reply with quote

As the MS 620 has not been released yet it is difficult to give a balanced reply to your question

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:21 pm Reply with quote

its OK, I'm used to unbalanced...US news media and all Wink

So a variation on the question, does extensive time on a bicycle (especially racing conditions) give one an edge on a motorcycle? And would you consider an MTS 1000 and/or a Monster 620 a reasonable bike for me to get back on 2 wheels?
doctor_john

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:04 pm Reply with quote

dear friend...

i have previously drove a 620 monster for a couple of weeks... it has a nice and reliable moteur but you get used to it's power quickly enough!

i think that the money that you are going to spent is already enough without being too far from a used 1000DS (here they have announced: almost 8.500 euros for 620), that's my view about your delema!

and YES! you can play with your wife driving the 911! Mr. Green

Cool
Hans Wurst
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:08 pm Reply with quote

Hi mr static!

skip the idea of the 620, at least for your own personal use..

a brief summary of how i got infected with the ducati virus:

Actually I considered a few bikes when I got into buying a new one, among them the monster. Since the Ducati dealer had no 1000 in stock i test drove the 800.
(after having spend years on a triumph 750 bonneville http://www.dasgibtsnochnicht.de/webmoped/bilder.html)
the monster felt great, nice control of the bike and I was sitting in it rather than on it. But the engine was just to weak. And that said beeing used to overaged british engineering!!
So I tried the 1000 Multistrada and I was hooked..
If deciding between Multistrada and Monster you should make sure you're comparing the same engine, there is quite some difference..

good luck and lots of fun choosing
GS
nostatic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:46 pm Reply with quote

doctor_john wrote:

and YES! you can play with your wife driving the 911! Mr. Green

Cool

ha! My wife doesn't like the 911....but my g/f does Wink

Actually she is en route to becoming ex-wife so I'm not quite as big a cad as it might seem. Maybe that's one reason why...the g/f goes to track days with me and used to ride a Seca II. The soon-to-be-ex-wife hated the 911.
CoastalRider
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:22 pm Reply with quote

My dealer told me the 620 MTS will be priced at US$7,500. However, what accessories will you add? You could easily spend $2-3K more on an exhaust system and other goodies. You may be able to do better than the $11,500 list for the 1000 if you do some research. You might be able to get zero percent financing or a free maintenance deal out of a 1000, also. I've seen some used ones at the $8,900 price point with low miles, and these come with some accessories. EBAY has some new ones for sale, also. The 1000 doesn't have the power of the Ducati water-cooled engines, although it has enough to put a grin on your face. You might grow out of that 620 fast. On the other hand, a smaller bike might be better for commuting.

Who will be watching it while you are working? I'm of the opinion in California "they" will steal a newer Ducati if you give them the opportunity.

Tom
rajbbhatt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:36 pm Reply with quote

I too was a new rider not too long ago (somedays I still am) and the best thing I did was bought a cheaper used bike and then sold up. I too have ridden a lot of bicycles, but motorcycling is very different! You are ON THE ROAD and accidents can happen from too much wrist action or pulling the brakes to hard. The effect of minor mistakes are greatly amplified compared to bicycling. I would suggest you find a good quality used Monster 620 or maybe an older 900. You can ride it for a while and give it to your GF or sell it and not lose too much value on it! Buying new will kill you if you decide you dont like the bike. Since you are in SoCal..there are SOOO many monsters available right now. I too am in LA so let me know if you need tips for buying used. If you are not planning on traveling far or doing any lite touring, then I would go for the monster. Check out ducatimonster.org as well. Just my 2 cents...

Yamaha Virago 250 ('03) (cherry popper)
MultiMan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:48 am Reply with quote

I went with the 1000DS Multi as my "getting back into the game" bike and I thought then it was an inspired choice and I still do after 30,000 km or so.

I came from a background of midsized street bikes, so perhaps there is a parallel to your considering going from an enduro however many years ago to an MTS 620.

That said, I have some seat time on a Monster 620 and speculate both it and the MTS 620 might seem a bit lacking in power, etc., once a new rider or returning rider get some miles under their belt.

So...I think you might consider going the used route for your initial 620 reentry ride (this would mean a Monster since the small Multi isn't yet out) and then trade up to the 1000DS. And the Multi with the "good stuff" would be the "S" version, of course, but the regular versions aren't too shabby.

To be sure, I see nothing wrong with going with a new MTS 620 or Monster, except that if you trade it in after a short period you'll take a financial hit. If that isn't a significant consideration, then you really can't go wrong.

MM