Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: "05 1000S DS ready to buy
fgunnr
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:57 pm Reply with quote

I took a test ride today on a '05 1000DS. Salesman said the S is worth the $1500 difference so I said OK. I can pay cash today or 90 days from now. I told the salesman when the deal was right I would buy it. .

My questions

Is the S worth the difference?

What can you buy a new '05 S for?

Does Ducati ever have any rebates or other deals(My first Ducati) to sweeten the price?

thanks
dartfrog
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:22 pm Reply with quote

Think Where are you located? IS there snow on the ground? If so don't even touch it for full retail!
Is it worth the extra coin? To some yes. This model deals w/a certain passion level and what its worth to you. only you can answer it.
Will you, if you are the average seasonal rider ever use the Ohlin's to its full potential? Probably not IMO.

Did you test a base D and notice any difference?

It sure is a nice version but for the extra $$$$ / bling I cannot justify it.

I would bet you a beer there is a leftover '04 on the floor where you could save a bunch of coin on it and still have a SEG Laughing on your face after any ride.

Unless the dealer can sweeten the pot, say, like free first check up or 20% discount on future parts and accessories for life, like me Very Happy
Then go for it !!

lotus54
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:17 pm Reply with quote

I thought the 'S' was worth the extra.
I looked at some 2004's, but locally couldn't find any that seemed worth it for the discount. Especially since the 05 has a number of improvements.
The S has the improved bars (some say noticably lower vibration, I dont' know)- some extra carbon junk and of course the suspension.

I did get a little discount for the time of year, but they sold both bikes in a week or two, so they weren't going to go down a lot.

I also got 4 % interest rate through a local company.

Mark

fgunnr wrote:
I took a test ride today on a '05 1000DS. Salesman said the S is worth the $1500 difference so I said OK. I can pay cash today or 90 days from now. I told the salesman when the deal was right I would buy it. .

My questions

Is the S worth the difference?

What can you buy a new '05 S for?

Does Ducati ever have any rebates or other deals(My first Ducati) to sweeten the price?

thanks
eyedragaknee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:34 am Reply with quote

No choice. Get the S if you can afford it. Nothing works like Ohlins, not to mention the poser factor. You'd never be able to upgrade for twice that amount. Even riding moderately, the Ohlins are plush. A standard Multi is still an awesome bike, the S is that much better. IMO
loop

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:43 am Reply with quote

hi from an S owner
here you go:ohlins front fork 2000euros rear susp 800euros and i not calculate the bar and the carbon...
so i think its worth every penny!!!
it also has black rims witch are beautifull
my dealer sold it to me for 13500euros from 13980 witch was the price
macvette

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:10 am Reply with quote

Recomended UK prices (not necessarily what the dealer will settle for)
Multi 7775 pounds=11,283 Euro = 14,715 USD
Multi s 8495 pounds=12,327 Euro = 16078 USD

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:24 pm Reply with quote

i would say get the "s". you probably will be sorry if you didn't. if they had an "s" in 04 when i got mine, i would have bought it.

my experience with three dealers in the south east has been that they do not discount from the list price. sometimes, ducati will offer a special, like when i bought my 2000 monster 900 in the summer of 04 before new models were coming out, they had a $500 discount promotion going.

what i did negotiate for, however, is zero set up charge. some dealers like to charge $300-$400 dollars to put it together. (i happened to be in kansas city recently...there is a great ducati dealership there...and i watched them put together an 05 S from the crate to showroom. it takes almost no time to do. the set up charge is really extra profit.

i also got all of the ducati dealers i've purchased a ducati from to provide a 20% discount on all future parts, which has been very nice. i've also heard that you can negotiate to get a discount or a free 600 mile checkup which normally costs a couple of hundred dollars. i didn't personally do that, but it seems like an excellent negotiating point.

once you get into the new model year, any bikes left over from the previous year definitely become price negotiable. i've seen some dealers advertize a discount, some others just offer it if you ask.

it would be interesting to see what other's say, but from my personal knowledge, and knowledge of several people buying ducati's here in the southeast US, paying list price for a current year ducati is very common. negotiations instead center around future parts and service.

ray s
prmultiwannabe
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:52 pm Reply with quote

Lots of good advice on this one, stuff I should have done when I bought my 04 MTS. Anyway, about your question: I say forget the difference in performance between the two, unless you're a highly skilled, aggressive rider, you won't notice the difference; instead focus on the looks. If you can't justify the difference in price with the looks then go for the '04. Good luck and enjoy.
eyedragaknee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:09 am Reply with quote

I agree with the "looks" of the Ohlins BUT, go ride both like you normally would ride once. It will be an easy choice from there. On any uneven roads the Ohlins are just plush compared. I would definitely try both if you could. I don't have Ohlins on mine. I wish I did. First bike I have had for a while that I didn't put them on$$$$$
lotus54

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:47 am Reply with quote

There is a deal on financing, soon to end.
I got a better deal from a local company though...
4.3%

Mark

05 'S'

fgunnr wrote:

thanks
atwood
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:23 pm Reply with quote

Just to add additional viewpoint: the usual advantages of an ohlins over a good stock shock are 1) rebuildable and 2) the spring and shim stack are selected specifically for your weight by the retailer.

Since you're buying the ohlins on a stock bike, it will not be set up for you unless you happen to weigh within ducati's design criteria when they selected the suspension.

You may have to get the shock rebuilt and/or the fork springs replaced in order to work with your weight anyway (if the adjustability does not cover your weight or riding style), so the savings over buying a non-S model and upgrading the suspension is not a simple one-to-one comparison, unless Ducati will set up the components for you during the purchase.
eyedragaknee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:34 pm Reply with quote

absolutely agree with that one and it also applies to any suspension. it is amazing to me how someone buys a bike and never bothers setting the sag and preload to suit their weight and just rides it like it comes from the factory. the whole handling of the bike can easily be changed as well as the steering and how the bike goes through a corner and holds a line.

good point

great suspension is just mediocre if not properly dialed in