Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: reliability concerns
fgunnr
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:27 pm Reply with quote

All I need to pay the difference in price between the MTS and the V-Strom is a comfort level on the MTS reliability. I like everything about the MTS versus the V-Strom except reliability issues. What makes matters worse is the closest Ducati dealer is over a 100 miles away.

thanks for anyones advice.
danphoto
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:00 pm Reply with quote

The Multi is my first non-Jap. bike in 37 years of riding. I love the Ducati but I don't think it will ever live up to the "spoiled" feeling I had with Hondas (still own two of them) or Yamahas. There's just something comforting about calling the dealer for a part and knowing it'll be there in a day or two.

With the Multi, I've had disappointment after disappointment on parts. Right now I'm watching tiny puddles of oil form when I park as I await arrival of new oil lines.

On the other hand, based on my decades as an import auto mechanic (a previous career), I have a very good feeling about the overall mechanical integrity of the Multi and wouldn't hesitate to take it on long tours (well, once the "new-model" buggy oil lines are replaced anyway).

And, though it has nothing to do with reliability, there's something to be said for riding something "different."

Hope this helps!

Dan
dartfrog
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:50 pm Reply with quote

danphoto wrote:

And, though it has nothing to do with reliability, there's something to be said for riding something "different."

Hope this helps!

Dan

...and the V-strom is Butt Ugly Whistle

kenvvy
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:09 am Reply with quote

The Multistrada was my first Italian bike - and I have put over 7000 miles on it without a problem. I have loved every mile. The V-Strom cannot compare when it comes to enjoyment. My only input is that you are sure that you have a good dealer - even if they are 100 miles away. I have had zero problems with part availability with my dealer. They even had the oil lines in stock when the recall was made. A good dealer will make up for any little stuff that might go on. I guess that is the case with any dealer.
steveberde

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:52 pm Reply with quote

I own a Suzuki GSXR 1000 and the MTS - true you can ride the Japanese bike w/o worry - and when things do go wrong, yes, the parts arrive usually within days - but, the MST is a joy - and the realability issue is not a problem or at least has not been one for me, and I've owned 8 Ducati's and never had a major or even a minor problem with any of them -

If you'd like to check on the reliability of ANY bike go to their chat sites and lurk for a week - you'd be amazed - every bike mfr. has a group of gripers (go to the BMW GS site ( short for Bitcher, Moaners and Whiners)
you'll get a rude awakening at the issues on all the GS issues - consequently - buy the bike that sets your juices flowing - after all, it's about the heart not the head when it comes to bikes.

Steve Berde
Spokane
toytec
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:53 am Reply with quote

buy the bike that sets your juices flowing - after all, it's about the heart not the head when it comes to bikes.

Steve Berde
Spokane[/quote]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well said Very Happy
kenvvy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:08 am Reply with quote

I think so much of the experience of your bike depends on the dealer. I have never had a problem with parts being in stock - from oil lines, to a new updated dash. I have had zero problems in 13,000 miles save that of the warranty stuff - and again, all parts were in stock. Make sure you have a great dealer, and your MTS experience will be great as well.
BikerRN
MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:45 am Reply with quote

A lot of people are concerned about the time it takes to get parts for their Ducati. I just learned from my dealer that all products are shipping direct from Italy.

No more having to see if it's in the Ducati North America Warehouse before sending to Italy for the part. Part of the problem was Ducati NA. Ducati has wisely chosen to cut out the "middleman" with the NA Warehouse.

I got my soft panniers in 2 weeks. It would've been 1 week, but they shipped Hard Panniers by mistake. Too bad my dealer wouldn't sell them to me at Soft Pannier prices. Sad Oh well, I'm pretty impressed with the way Ducati is handleing things now. Smile
steveberde

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:56 am Reply with quote

I've had two excellent parts situations with Ducati in the past three weeks. First, I ordered an 06 windscreen for my 04 bike and it arrived in three business days just like the parts guy promised me. I was floored. Then he had to order an exhaust gasket for my Termi slip ons (it's an OEM part) when I had my Staintune headers put on and that arrived in three business days also. Both were dropped shipped from Italy direct.

Apparently they now use DHL for shipping and it's all done online. They can see if it's in stock and when it will be shipped and when it will arrive. I have to say I was very impressed with these two items being shipped so promptly. The service department even called me when the windscreen was in. That floored me too. Normally the dealer never calls to let you know it's been in stock for two weeks.

Steve

"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space."
author unknown
"hearses have no luggage racks"
Chairguy
MTS: 2006 620 Dark

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:17 am Reply with quote

Buy a ducati live the dream ! Here is a photot essay of V-strom verse Multistrada .. What was funny was the V-strom guy all weekend( great guy by the way) Was saying Team Ducati vs Team v-strom

Hey Its an asain bike what could go wrong ? I am 500 miles from home..

"Praying" to the V-strom gods ..Please baby Hey-zues let this make my bike better..

Gosh Team Ducati can you give me a ride ??? My V-strom is broken !

The last thing The V-strom guy saw m when we had to leave him 5oo miles from home.. Yep team ducati won the day baby..

The bottom line is like they say any given sunday.. If you do a search for the same topics you will find more like it.. Buy a multistrada & live the dream.. Buy a V-strom & drive a boat..

Urb