Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: What other bike did you look at when you bought your Multi?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
MIK3
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:52 am Reply with quote

I am curious as I am strongly drawn to several bikes, and of various styles. I can rationalize each style, so I thought I would put this out there.

Also as a secondary item, one of the bikes I am thinking of is the Hyper. What I find interesting is the similarity of it to the Multi. Has anyone ridden the two, and is the feel vastly different?

Mike
ptooey
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:01 am Reply with quote

Before I ended up getting the MTS, I was also considering the Kawasaki Versys and Buell Ulysses, and maybe V-Strom, BMW 650GS(?).

My checklist was I wanted a good all round touring bike that could do off-road pretty well, but that I could use for city riding since it was going to be my only bike.

On inspection of V-strom and BMWs-- price, size and weight (and cylinder count for the bmw) were the major factors against.

First test was Ulysses. Best looking front end out of the 3 primary choices, but when riding it, whenever I gave it some schtick I kept on sliding backwards on the seat. Also me being short-legged on the inseam I had to tippy toe a little bit. But more so, only after about 10mins of riding the insides of my legs started to get hot, and this was in mild 15deg C weather! Engine otherwise felt very torquey but the fan is also very disruptive and I don't know wtf is with the side mounted key hole.

Second test was Versys, Plenty of torque, very easy to pull a mono, but something didn't sit right with it for me... My butt for one, and the feel of the throttle/engine (my bike prior to this was a Monster 620)-- just didn't feel sporty, thoroughbred, no soul, etc. I wasn't blown away by this bike, although it probably would've been a better fit for me considering my checklist.

Found a 2nd hand MTS for sale for around the same price as a new Versys, took that for a test ride, instantly found the feel/vibe that I expected. Pretty much slammed my cash down for it straight away.
Seat shape better for shorter people, more pleasant looks than Versys, better engine, sportier feel, throttle response, etc.

Cut to the present, MTS has unfortunately been crashed, and I've now replaced it with a Hypermotard.

Hypermotard, best way I can describe it is it feels like riding a go-kart, but also feels like riding a penny-farthing, as there's nothing of the bike in your peripheral vision, and it is like you're riding over the front wheel.

But as far as comparing the 2, the HM is what the MTS isn't, but the MTS is what the HM isn't either. The weight of the HM is less noticeable and the bike just feels chuckable. It's to me got the best looks out there compared to any bike on the road, and I love the 1000/1100DS engine that both bikes share, so that's also another benefit. Overall there's plenty that's better on the MTS.

Touring wise the HM is just not suitable (poor load carrying choice, fuel range, wind protection); besides I've come to the conclusion that it's easier to keep 1 bike for the local riding (and twisty backroads), and another bike for the touring/distance riding.

Hopefully eventually another MTS down the track, and hopefully with more tasty looks and less weight-- my only 2 uncontrollable gripes I had with the MTS.

Admiral Nelson
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:33 am Reply with quote

I went to Birmingham NEC Bike show in November with the intention of test riding a Mule Uselessees. It was way too tall for me. In the end I rode the Super TT. It was bloody aweful. Looked like it was mage by Chad Valley.

I had previously riden the Versys and found it to be a good bike but with no charector.

The BMW F800S was a great bike but just too expensive for me.

The MTS is fast and fun with plenty of charector and tickked all the boxes for me. My occasional rides at the weekend or in the summer evenings are enjoyable without thinking about loosing my license everytime I go out. Mr. Green

'Its not the size of dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog'
a_cletus_cracker
MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:58 am Reply with quote

My S.O. test rode a Gt 1000, and loved it. So we agreed to get new bikes, and sold the Triumphs. I researched all the models, and options, and it came down to the "Multi" part of the equation. I couldn't see dropping that kind of money on a bike that can only do one thing. Plus the hyper didn't come out for awhile.

I've ridden the motard, and it is similiar like me and my brother are similiar, but we hate each other. They are as different as they are the same I guess. Same foundaion, different house. A lot of fun. Holy shit, so much fun. Lighter, I love the feeling like nothing is under you. I loved the cockpit, seating, BUT for only 80 miles at a time. Just based on the gas tank size, I couldn't do it. For all around value based on versatility, Multistrada.

(the hyper demo had all the bits in the injection and exhaust, just FYI)

The key differences in the HYPER and the MULTI, are basically the same in their differences as the names themselves; if look at their meanings. Even the ride is somewhat described accurately in the denotation of the prefixes of the names.

MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:26 am Reply with quote

I was going for an 800 monster but needed more wind protection so I went with the Multistrada. I've owned it for three seasons and I don't regret it Smile

I might buy a sports bike as well but I won't sell the multi, it's too good and comfortable to sell.
Mutis1100ss
MTS: 2007 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:50 am Reply with quote

Before I purchased the Multi, I had a deposit on a Wee Strom. I wanted something for commuting duties mainly and an occasional weekend getaway. When I test rode a 1000SDS at a Qld turismo, I was so impressed with it's slow speed handling and manoeuvreability that I thought the MTS was the one. And, it is. Daily, and in the rain.
Cheers,
Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:22 am Reply with quote

I was considering the Busa', the Multi and the S4 Monster. Busa was too big, not comfy enough and just plain ugly. Monster almost won but was not quite touring oriented enough.
46Fan
MTS: 2008 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:53 pm Reply with quote

not counting the tire kicking, I narrowed it down took out the following:

Monster S4R - found the seat to peg height no different than my 999, didn't care for the minimal wind protection

Hypermotard - was fun until about 60mph and the wind buffeting got annoying. combine that with it's piddly fuel tank and wedgie seat, it was a no go

R1200GS - very large, felt faster than a car but not fast, absolutely hated the shaft drive and the way the bike snapped to the side when blipping the throttle on a downshift

MTS1000 - found it comfortable and fun

MTS1100S - same as the 1000, but more fun

bought the MTS1100S

MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:26 pm Reply with quote

My shortlist went like this:

MTS - discounted originally as it would surely break down Sad
Aprilia Tuono - footrests too high to be comfortable
MTS - really want one , but surely it won't be reliable
Triumph Speed Triple - nice but not comfortable
BMW K1200RS - great engine but too heavy
Yam FJR1300 - great engine but too bulky
ST4s - bars too low for my bad back
MTS - Can't get this bike out of my mind, but is it up to daily commuting?
Honda X11 - Great engine, awful riding position & too heavy
MTS - saw one at a good price, couldn't say no any longer.

It was four months from first considering and riding the MTS to getting mine. Despite looking at and riding lots of other things in the meantime the MTS was just the most desirable. No regrets at all after 3 years ownership.
archkevinbrown
MTS: 2006 620 (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:39 pm Reply with quote

Bikes I thought I wanted before I got the Multi: K1200GT and RSV Mille.
Clearly, as someone who'd never ridden before, I didn't know much about what would be appropriate. A salesman suggested the Multi. I never would have selected it from just walking around the showroom, so I've a newfound respect for salesmen now Smile

'09 Suzuki DR650 Nameless 9/'10 - 5/'11
'08 Aprilia RSV Lara, aka Silver Lion 3/'10 - current
Steve
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:27 pm Reply with quote

archkevinbrown wrote:
Bikes I thought I wanted before I got the Multi: K1200GT and RSV Mille.
Clearly, as someone who'd never ridden before, I didn't know much about what would be appropriate. A salesman suggested the Multi. I never would have selected it from just walking around the showroom, so I've a newfound respect for salesmen now Smile

Ditto. I had a 749S and had a lot of problems with it. I also suffer from arthritis and wanted a bike that didn't put so much pressure on my arm and wrists.
I checked out the Varadero and was looking for a second hand one to purchase but this took ages as they are as rare as rocking horse shit. In the end I went into my Ducati dealer and the sales guy suggested I take a ride on an 03 MTS. I had only ridden 50 mts up the road and loved it. So, to top it off, he agreed a straight swap for my 04 749S (which I had bought brand new from them and they knew the history).
Thats me.
fufaso
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:38 pm Reply with quote

The only other bike I seriously considered was the BMW F800ST. In fact it was my first choice, until I rode it.

Found a 620D for sale used and snatched it up without a test ride and, after only 5 days, I can say that I am glad I did - no regrets at all.

I admit that I do miss my sport bike though, but this Friday the Multi and I are going on an all day adventure, which is something I could never do on my 600r.
potomacduc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:45 pm Reply with quote

I had ridden a 750 Monster for 6 years when I went looking for a new bike in late 2006. I quickly narrowed my search down to a Monster 1000/S2R 1000 or a MTS 1000DS. I also considered an ST2 or ST3, but moved away from those early on because I wanted a bike with tubular bars and I like being able to see that air-cooled lump.

I had test ridden a MTS in 05 and really liked it, so I knew that from a performance/riding character standpoint, there's nothing between the two bikes. The Monster is lighter, so that makes it a tad easier handling, but most riders should be able to run the same pace on a tight backroad on either bike. With performance out of the equation, it came down to the classic looks of the Monster versus the better long haul ability of the Multistrada. I went with the Multi and haven't regretted it.

fufaso wrote:
The only other bike I seriously considered was the BMW F800ST. In fact it was my first choice, until I rode it.

I test rode the F800s last year while a friend was shopping for a new bike. Yuck. I don't know why the F800 bikes get such postive reviews in the moto mags. That bike was b-o-r-i-n-g. I found the new 650 thumpers more entertaining.

Last edited by potomacduc on Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
MIK3
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:06 am Reply with quote

Thank you all for the replies. I appreciate and enjoyed each post.

M
Mike944
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:53 pm Reply with quote

MIK3 wrote:
I am curious as I am strongly drawn to several bikes, and of various styles. I can rationalize each style, so I thought I would put this out there.

Also as a secondary item, one of the bikes I am thinking of is the Hyper. What I find interesting is the similarity of it to the Multi. Has anyone ridden the two, and is the feel vastly different?

Mike

I looked at my backup color first....but I went with my first choice.
BLACK THE FASTER COLOR