Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: - New rider... Need help with my first Bike HELP!!!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Denaro
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:00 pm Reply with quote

Currently in Arizona, always enjoyed mountain biking and racing cars, but now I have neither. I plan to get a bike this month for daily commuting & some fun drives to San Diego; I love to drive, so I hope it transfers to riding… I’m taking a local cycle class & follow it up with an advance class, hope to get Duc… initially I was looking at the Monster dark 620|s2r and then I came across Multistrada but I can’t seem to find any… I was thinking of the 620, due to my lack of experience… I’m starting to run dry in hope any suggestions? I’m starting to look at other bikes cause it seems I’ll never get one… I’ve got a maximum of 3 weeks before I have to make a purchase… the local dealer got a 749 for cheap 03 no miles, I’ve gotten so desperate I’m thinking about it…Please advice…
falcofred
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:27 pm Reply with quote

This isn't what you want to hear, but it's your first bike, don't buy a high end Ducati, buy a used Suzuki SV650! Your gonna need to learn, and that will envolve a drop or two. The SV is a great beginners bike, and you won't out grow it ever. I've been riding 20+ years and my 99 SV is still a favorite ride in the really tight twisties.
After a year of riding, then think about stepping up to something you lust after. You didn't start driving in a Mercedes Benz did you? I didn't think so, so don't try and rush into riding.
If you start out on a Ducati, you won't have anything to step up to. And don't buy the 749, that is not a beginers bike, that is a race bike, uncomfortable, unforgiving, hard edged racer. Plus unless you have lots of $ to waste with insurance companies, you need to stay away from high end exotic bikes until you have some experience.
Belive me, you will have lots of fun on an SV650, I do all the time, passing liter bikes in the corners, only to have them blow by me in the straights, and me out braking them and passing them again! It's a great track tool also, take some track days to speed up your learning curve.
xlcafe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:52 am Reply with quote

Quote:
...buy a used Suzuki SV650! ...

This is all very good advise!
Can't add anything to that.
Mike S.
MultiMan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:39 am Reply with quote

I feel the small Monster or Multi would make decent first bikes, but it does make more sense to go used if you haven't ridden before.

An SV650 (or equivalent) would be a fine choice from what I've heard. And there's a strategic advantage too--if you have a wife or significant other who vets your major purchases.

It's far easier to convince the family that riding the sensible used 650, then moving up to a new MTS1000 within a year or so is the prudent way for a new rider to go. If you play this right, you end up with TWO bikes at the end of the year. You then mod that 650 into a tiny track terror and thrash the nuts off it.

I bought a new MTS 1000 in 2003 and have since come to also yearn for a 600cc track-only bike. However, justifying this purchase has become somewhat of a challenge. My wife's basic stance is something like "You have a DUCATI and now you want a used Jap bike??? What's wrong with you..."
xlcafe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:42 pm Reply with quote

Quote:

"You have a DUCATI and now you want a used Jap bike??? What's wrong with you..."

Laughing Laughing Laughing ...I'm going thru the same thing.
Mike S.
prmultiwannabe
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:40 pm Reply with quote

You have got to get a bike out there! I bought my first bike while living in southern New Mexico and between AZ and NM you've got two of the best bike places in the country. I echo the other gents, on the Ducati issue, especially the 749...run away! Despite what you may think you will probably drop that first bike or ding or do something to it that will make you pissed (don't tell this to your wife/girlfriend). I'd buy something reliable, comfortable, and around 600 CCs. If you're going to be riding to San Diego, I'd also recommend a bike with a good fairing/windscreen or a bike that can have one easily added. I've found that even the Multis small stock windscreen takes away a lot of the abuse I used to receive on my old back that didn't have one. One bike I've heard a lot of good things about is the V-Strom. I think it comes in a 650 although, since I haven't ridden it I can't personally vouch for it. In any case, ride safe and enjoy.
prof_daniel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:52 am Reply with quote

hi Denaro
I personally think a 'good choice' is a choice that serve our purpose well and fill our heart with passion. I happened to have a Monster and a MTS and I use them for daily commuting, too. They are both fantastic but I would recommend the MTS 620 due to its comfortable riding position over long distance. The MTS is agile and can accomodate luggage bags which is handy for travelling. The Monster has a nice and simple contour but fitting a luggage bag would spoil the "monster" looks.
tarzan
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:46 am Reply with quote

I think the MTS 620 would be ok to get as a beginner. it isnt a terribly fast bike but it is still fun... And didn't Ducati bring this one out so that beginners can have Dukes???
fant
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:16 pm Reply with quote

My suggestion is go for a used 600cc sport Japanese bike.
That was what I did back to 1992 when I first saw the 916ss at the age of 25 in Toronto, Canada. I sold my MR2 supercharge and brought a 7-seater car and a used Yamaha FZ600. I did took cycle class and learn to race at FAST racing(Shanonville, Ont) plus some night-time classes for motorcycle mechanic.
I did that because I know if I get the 916ss in the first place I will only mess it up and will also mess-up my riding interest, I have made myself a 1 years plan just because at that moment I know nothing about motorcycle.
With a used bike, everything including parts, workshop manual and service center are easy to reach and obtain, then I can learn how to fix it and some minor modification for my own riding style on both road and track and of course some close-call experience by some stupid people on road. Then I was stick to that used bike for 2 years untill I left Canada for some reason.
After all these years I still carry a big smile when I was thinking about the above period. However, stupid people are still exist on road. Rolling Eyes

sorry for my english

fant
eyedragaknee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:07 pm Reply with quote

Used BMW F650 in 2001 or newer for around $5500. I raced downhill mountain bikes on the NORBA circuit so I know what kind of skills and riding position you are used to. The BMW is like that although heavy. Very good on long distances too. Second choice would be a SV650 naked not the S version. 1999-2001 models can be had for around 3-4 grand. One of the best bikes made for the money invested. They can be hopped up for very little $$$. Learn on one of these and then buy a 1000DS if you want a Multi. The Multi is a great bike but not one you want to repair.

svrider.com is a good place to look for an SV. My old bike is on the opening web page right now.

It is more fun to run the crap out of a small bike than to be skeered of a big one AND you learn to ride better.
sham74

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:40 am Reply with quote

Im from Kuala Lumpur Malaysia, my 1st bike was a honda scooter 150cc Embarassed back in 1991. My last ride was 1994. Since than never touch any bike. After watching so many big bikers on the road suddenly it came clear to me that once you a biker (even a 150cc scooter)you will always be a biker. So without question I bought my 1st big bike Ducati Multistrada 1000DS Whistle . No experience nothing what so ever Whistle . Only took me 2 weeks to decide. I chose MTS because its dual purpose, can commute in town and take long endurance distance, one of the lightest bike 190kg only and most of all it looks damn damn cool Mr. Green Mr. Green . Talk about experience, it only takes 1 week to regain confidence riding in heavy jams. 2nd week already cruising at 140kmh. 3rd week already taking twist & turns and flat on most corners plus cruising at 190kmh!! Whistle . Well, moral of the story is why waste time and money trying low end bike?? You still have to go through the same old thing... My advise is take the best choice, once got the bike take your time slowly Wink . Take it easy on your 1st ride, early brake before corners, watch your back, dont push your limit Think . eventually you and the bike became one and it will be a beeauutifull ride Mr. Green ... I love my multistrada and will never regret it... go get the 1000.. Mad
eyedragaknee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:28 am Reply with quote

Not good advice to someone just starting out. The chances of having a long riding career get smaller with more agression combined with little experience. Good luck!!!! I hope you have someone watching over you.

Go ahead and flame on!!!! I just think that starting slow and building riding skills over YEARS is the best way to stay alive on the streets. Racetracks and off road is another story completely. That isn't the way to ride on the streets:D
Tee-Dub

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:49 pm Reply with quote

I will say the Multi is a very forgiving motorcycle and easy to ride, but the other guys are right, it is a very expensive bike to risk dropping in the beginning. If you are young, you will have a hard enough time getting insurance, but if you drop this one, even in the driveway, good luck getting insurance again. One of my co-workers is 21, has an endorsement, has been riding for a couple of years, and is considering the Multi. His quotes for full coverage have ranged so far from $1800/year all the way to $8000/year (that was dairyland). If it is your first, I'd look at the Multi 620 when they come out, or the SV650 would be a first choice. Don't discount that bike's abilities. It is a bike you can learn on, and not get bored with as your abilities improve. Forget the Japanese inline 4 600cc bikes. What you don't need is a 385lb bike with 115hp! Lastly, your dealer should be shot on the spot for even suggesting a new 749 to a new rider, sheesh. Wall

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:19 pm Reply with quote

I have owned 3 SV650's and raced one of them. There is nothing better to learn on for the $$$ and they will haul butt if asked. Insurance on a 650cc bike that costs 3500bucks will be hard to beat too. Get a 1999 to 2002, put some Hawkins woods pro taper bars on it and when you buy the Multi, it will feel like home(although a little tall in the seat)

Move up to a Multi later.
rays

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:07 pm Reply with quote

monster is a great first bike. i have a mts 1000, probably not too good for a first bike, but i believe the mts 620 would be very, very good.

the advice to get a used 650 for awhile and learn to ride on it is also good advice. can't go wrong there.

but its also not outrageous for someone to get a mts 620 or small monster as a first bike.

sit on the bikes if you are thinking about a new duc. make sure they are not too high for you, especially the mts.

i owned a monster 900 and now a mts 1000. neither were my first bikes, but both were great bikes. but i got the montster after a long time away, like 25 years, so it was almost like a first bike.

ray