Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: S vs non-S?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
biggziff
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:58 pm Reply with quote

I know the equipment differences, but what are the real-world, seat of the pants differences?

Thanks
biggziff
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:30 pm Reply with quote

60 views and no one has any input? 2 dealers have told me that I won't notice the difference on an 07 unless I'm on the track (which I'll never do)

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Thanks
dudecati
MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:36 pm Reply with quote

Well - its all suspension bits and carbon fiber bits. So, I'm not sure what your asking or looking for. Engine & drivetrain are identical.

biggziff wrote:
I know the equipment differences, but what are the real-world, seat of the pants differences?

Thanks

No Multistrada

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quote

Sorry...I'm referring to the suspension difference. I'll never ride the bike on a track and ride pretty gently most of the time.
Clyde
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:40 pm Reply with quote

I have no S... my wife likes my no S.... maybe I should re-type that! Mine is the plain jane version and I like it a lot, I have not tried the refined S version so I would think it is even better since Ohlins is the good stuff and carbon fiber is waaayyy cool.
I find it handles just fine for me and I am not going to race it on the street ever and might go to the track someday, might need the finer things in life then... for now it is ok.
I have dreams of moving up to the fancier stuff if I feel the need to spend more dough on her, and I will likely do it anyway because I suffer from make it better-itis.
Summary... if you plan to make it better later, spend it now on the S it will save a lot over the cost of doing it later... otherwise, go with the no S one she will do very well.

MTS: 2006 620 (Gray)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:53 pm Reply with quote

If you are easy on your stuff, then you may never notice the difference between the S and non-S.

If you load your bike up, go 9 - 10th with the wife and luggage on back, then the S version will make a difference. The non-S version can be made to feel as good, but its all about the money. It easier to make the Ohlins ride well then it is to make the Showa do the same.

Cheers
Vern

Last edited by vern748 on Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:57 pm Reply with quote

biggziff wrote:
60 views and no one has any input? 2 dealers have told me that I won't notice the difference on an 07 unless I'm on the track (which I'll never do)

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Thanks

Not true....

I have owned both. Both are excellent, but the Ohlins give a plusher ride, eating up the bumps and ridges in the pavement. If you get the Showa version you can dial back the front end preload and rebound, and still get an excellent ride, though.

If you like to ride long days, the Ohlins leave you a bit less tired at teh end of the day.

No Multistrada

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:51 pm Reply with quote

vern748 wrote:
If you are easy on your stuff, then you may never notice the difference between the S and non-S.

If you load your bike up, go 9 - 10th with the wife and luggage on back, then the S version will make a difference. The non-S version can be made to feel as good, but its all about the money. It easier to make the Ohlins ride well then it is to make the Showa do the same.

Cheers
Vern

I ride primarily to and from work (about 40 miles round trip) and then the weekend 250 milers. Wife does not ride with me...she has no interest. I'm 6-1 225 and while I used to ride MX I find myself dialing it back some these days.

So aside from swapping out the Showa and Sachs for the Ohlins, what is typically done to improve the non-S components? Are they rebuildables?

Thanks
vacey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:49 pm Reply with quote

[

Not true....

I have owned both. Both are excellent, but the Ohlins give a plusher ride, eating up the bumps and ridges in the pavement. If you get the Showa version you can dial back the front end preload and rebound, and still get an excellent ride, though.

If you like to ride long days, the Ohlins leave you a bit less tired at teh end of the day.[/quote]

Exactly. Ridden both, bought the S - S just felt "right". Is it worth the extra? It is for me.
dmk
MTS: 2007 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:06 am Reply with quote

You will definitely notice the difference, not just in plushness but also stability in bumpy corners and steering feel. But the Showa suspension is not likely to be a limiting factor on the street, perhaps that is what the dealers meant.

vern748
MTS: 2006 620 (Gray)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:29 am Reply with quote

biggziff wrote:

I ride primarily to and from work (about 40 miles round trip) and then the weekend 250 milers. Wife does not ride with me...she has no interest. I'm 6-1 225 and while I used to ride MX I find myself dialing it back some these days.

So aside from swapping out the Showa and Sachs for the Ohlins, what is typically done to improve the non-S components? Are they rebuildables?

Thanks

The showa and Ohlins are rebuildable and the cost are comparable. ( except for ohlins fluid, the stuff is the price of gold Shocked ) The Ohlins can give you a better ride out of the box than the showas. That is not to say that the showas may be perfect for your weight and riding style.

MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:11 am Reply with quote

Carbon = lighter weight

Ohlins = God of suspension

Add both together and there will be an obvious difference in any driving condition.

Just my opinion here after swapping an OEM fairing for a full carbon version and swopping OEM suspension for full Ohlins on my 748S.

I rode my buddies 748S and my modded 748S back to back and could tell the difference on the same stretch of road with my eye's closed.

I know the weight difference was not huge, but any weight saving on a bike has a positive effect on handling, so add that to the better class of ride that Ohlins suspension gives and its a no-brainer.

In the real world though ........... both of the mods cost me as much as the bike did (I was the 3rd owner), so it would have been cheaper if not easier for me to drop 20 pounds in weight for the same result.

A lot of the time in the world of Ducati owners I have noticed that the 'S' or 'R' is a badge as much as SP or SPS was in the early days of 916/748 ownership. I say a lot of the time, as in the case of my previous 748S, I bought it because it was available and at the right price at the time I was looking for a new bike.

Cool
lotus54
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:28 am Reply with quote

I don't ride on the track and don't ride super fast (I do ok on really tight, twisty, bumpy roads).
The Ohlins are very plush, but still maintain very good control.

I think you will notice a difference on the street, unless you only ride really smooth roads all the time.

Mark

Beta XTrainer 300
JohnB
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:00 pm Reply with quote

Although you pay a premium for the "S", it's far less than what you would pay to upgrade the standard model with all of the same items (suspension and carbon bits). So, if you have the money now, get it all at a big discount by buying the "S".
Steve B

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:06 pm Reply with quote

I'm also someone who's owned both, an '04 standard and now an '07 S. If a great deal were to be had on a standard, I wouldn't hesitate to buy, but as others have said, there is a difference that can easily be felt on the street, not just the track. It's just a matter of priorities.

If your budget is stretched, the extra money for an S might not justify it. If you can afford the S, I think it's worth it. I try to keep in mind that sales people might have a motive for recommending one product over another, like needing to move a bike that's been on the floor for a long time.