Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: I want a Multi, but....
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Zanshin59
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:51 pm Reply with quote

I have a couple of questions for some of you seasoned Multistrada owners. I will be buying a bike within the next three months and a Multi is near the top of my short list, but I have a few concerns. After reading my points below, can you give me your insights as to whether this bike will suit my needs or not.

One: my riding will consist of about 100 miles per week of commuting plus frequent weekend rides of 200 miles or more. Will it cost me an arm and a leg to keep this bike on the road?

Two: I will plan on making at least one summer trip per year that will range in length form 1000 to 5000 miles. Destinations will include out-of-the-way places like Alaska, rural areas in Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, etc. I will not be riding “off-road” per sae, but dirt roads will frequently be encountered. Much of my riding will also be two-up.

My primary concerns are with reliability, durability, and maintenance. I know there are probably other bikes out there that will handle my needs better, but I love the sportiness of the Multi and if it will hold up under this kind of use, I prefer this to a big pig like a GS.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards.

A-
ms620chick
MTS: 2006 620 Dark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:44 pm Reply with quote

i commute on mine all the time (least 200-300 miles a week) and it has done some nice long distance traveling 2up but my 2up is 1 of my daughters on the back). great bike for all..maintenance do it yourself and save an arm and leg
SoCalBrian
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:55 pm Reply with quote

I've done some long distance riding on my Multi and I was less than satisfied, but I came from a GS1200. I love my Multi for commuting, carving canyons and track days, but I don't plan on taking any more long trips on it anytime soon.

I know I will catch some s@#t for this in here, but if I was going to do the type of riding your talking about again, I would get another GS. I loved the way that bike handled in the canyons and I rode it from Canada to Mexico on the great divide and never had a complaint. Maybe wait for the new F800GS to come out before you decide if you are looking for something a little more nimble.

Who knows, maybe I need to give the Multi another chance on the trip scene, but my arms and ass were sore at the end of each day, not something I was used to.

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

2007 1100 DS (Red)

Is it summer yet? Damn this cold weather!
kmasa58
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:37 pm Reply with quote

+1 on SoCal's comment. I too am from GS12 & I'm not fully satisfied with the ability of the MTS for long distance riding. Espeically if your plans include such long distant trips, then STICK with the GS. Not only from the reliability stand point, but also from dealership network and parts availability, the BMW support is FAR better. Also, if you don't wrench on your own bike, then this brand will cost you PLENTY to keep it running.
kmasa58

eviltwin
MTS: 2007 1100S (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:46 pm Reply with quote

Another point to consider is the possibility of a "GS-like" redesigned multi next year. It may be even more like what you're looking for than the current multi.

07 MTS1100S
07 Team USA 999S
Hampus
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:22 pm Reply with quote

I think 500 km a day is easy on the multi, I've done over 700 km a day but then my feet were aking from small vibrations from the foot pegs. I might get rubber pegs if I'm going to do another long trip. Other than that, all was well and easier than I espected (but I was on my way home and a little bit homesick...).

I suck at gravel roads and don't have the tyres for it so I try to stick to tarmac as much as possible, specially when I have a passenger.

Try out some different bikes, have you thought about Honda Varadero? My friend rides it, I think it's a boring bike but he trashes it around faster than I ride my multi. And it seems to be a great touring bike and probably better on the gravel roads than the multi. The only complaints he has is the soft back spring.
TrueTurbo
MTS: 2007 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:53 pm Reply with quote

The Multi is a great touring bike!

I also own a 2002 ST4s on which I've put on 72,000 miles touring in 6 years. It's in the shop having an engine rebuild at the moment (a bottom end bearing was about to let go!) and I bought a 2007 1100s MTS to keep me on 2 wheels while the ST4s was down.

Anyway, I've fallen in love with the Multi so much that when I get the ST4s back, I'll be selling it! I got the Multi in November '07 and I've put a little over 12,000 miles on it touring so far. I regularly do 200-300 mile weekend trips and the occasional 1,000-2,000 mile long weekend trips. This Summer I toured 3,400 miles in 8 days on the Multi.

It does everything I want in a touring bike. If you like riding and live for the twisties, you'll learn how to ride a Multi long distances to experience them. Laughing

TrueTurbo
MTS: 2007 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:57 pm Reply with quote

Hampus wrote:
I think 500 km a day is easy on the multi, I've done over 700 km a day but then my feet were aking from small vibrations from the foot pegs. I might get rubber pegs if I'm going to do another long trip. Other than that, all was well and easier than I espected (but I was on my way home and a little bit homesick...).

A simple solution to foot peg fatigue is to get yourself some gel sole inserts for your boots. I too found my feet aching at the end of a long day riding. I popped into my local supermarket and bought some gel inserts. Haven't suffered any fatigue since. I'm gellin'. Cool

Hampus
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:08 pm Reply with quote

TrueTurbo wrote:

A simple solution to foot peg fatigue is to get yourself some gel sole inserts for your boots. I too found my feet aching at the end of a long day riding. I popped into my local supermarket and bought some gel inserts. Haven't suffered any fatigue since. I'm gellin'. Cool

Thanks for reminding me about the gel inserts, I will definitely look for a pair!
dudecati
MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:44 pm Reply with quote

I went from the 1200gs to the Multi and can't be happier. My GS had the Sargent Seat and the Givi windscreen and the BMW winglets and the bar backs... you get the idea. Of course that made it a great touring bike.

My Multi still has the comfort seat which will either get reshaped or traded for a Sargent and I'll likely install my Fastway pegs on it but other than that I'll leave it as is.

What made me switch? I have carpal tunnel and the BMW hurt for me to ride it after about 30 mins, my wrists were killing me. My Hyper I could ride all day (except for that seat which is on its way out too) with no pains at all but a bit to much wind. So, I figured the Multi would replace the GS and the Hyper would stay.

So - I think the 'short comings' listed are rather easily addressed other than dirt roads. That said, what do you want? What calls to you? Answer that and you'll have the right bike!

- Hans

MTS: 2006 620 (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:39 pm Reply with quote

It seems the suggestion is that a GS might be more suitable for the one or two long trips you plan to make each year. But why should something you do so infrequently affect your choice for something you plan to use all the time? If I wanted to make a very long trip, I'd consider renting a GT (in my case) before buying such a bike to accommodate those once-a-year occasions - suitable as it may be as an only bike. I wouldn't want to sacrifice the advantages I get from Multi most of the time.

'09 Suzuki DR650 Nameless 9/'10 - 5/'11
'08 Aprilia RSV Lara, aka Silver Lion 3/'10 - current
potomacduc
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:18 pm Reply with quote

I don't see how the Multi would cost sgnificantly more than the GS to maintain. The new Multis require service every 7500 miles. Every other service is a major service. The R1200GS has a 6,000 mile service interval IIRC, so that's a wash or slight advantage for the Duc. The only marginal cost the Duc has is chain maintenance. If you maintain your chain regularly (~500 miles between squirts of lube) you should be able to get 15,000 miles out of a chain and sprockets. A chain and sprockets will run close to $350+labor, so factor that in once a year or so at your mileage.

BMW shop rates certainly aren't any cheaper than Ducati shop rates so that's a wash as well.

I suppose when you get up over 40-50,000 miles on a bike, the Ducati may be slightly more likely to require major repairs, but that seems to be less the case as Ducs get more stout and BMWs get more fragile.
jackpine savage
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:57 pm Reply with quote

Zanshin59 wrote:
there are probably other bikes out there that will handle my needs better, but I love the sportiness of the Multi and if it will hold up under this kind of use, I prefer this to a big pig like a GS.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards.

A-

Right, I had a big pile (GS) and it was a joke for weight. Got a KTM 950 ADV. when I traded in my ST4s. Now, I REALLLY am looking at adding the Multi 1100/1000S to the stable. The Multi S engine/suspension combo is unbeatable, but the feather-weight aspect of it for where you'll spend the most time in the city, will be your deciding factor. Agility in the streets and the ability to suck up potholes is fun after work, blowing off some steam.
lotus54
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:55 pm Reply with quote

I think the Multi is great for long distances. I did a 4200 mile trip last spring, couldn't be happier.
We kept to the back roads as much as possible, the Multi isn't the best freeway bike out there if it has a lot of traffic.

I do all my own maintenance, so it is pretty cheap. Some dealers are pretty expensive, others not so. They are quite easy to maintain, and the only 'odd' thing on them is the valves- which are quite easy-plus they rarely need adjusting once they are set correctly (on the snug side).

Mark

Beta XTrainer 300
vacey
MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:19 am Reply with quote

Zanshin,

I use my multi almost exactly as you describe. Its a great daily communter, exhilarating on fast (for me!) weekend trips and I've found it comfortable on a long trip. That said a) I'm a skinny little bugger, b) I rarely do more then 700-800km days; and c) I keep away from freeways.

Fuel economy is great, though as with all the bikes I've owned, touring with gear / panniers etc means lower k/l.

Booked in for the 12K service in the next couple of weeks, and will need a least a new rear tyre. That's not going to be cheap, but I knew that and factored it in to my original purchase decision.

And the bike just makes me happy...