Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Multistrada purchase, maybe
badmayonaise
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:14 am Reply with quote

so the local dealer showed me a demo 04 with almost 1000 miles on it for 9000 OTD. I really like the ergos. Seat, wider mirrors, centerstand, and maybe a taller windscreen would be on my toget list. My main concern is any problems with the 04s and any advice that might prepare me or save me grief. I was almost set on buying a leftover VFR, maybe a Vstrom(seems practicle but just so ugly and even though it's roomy feels a little wierd) The multistrada just seems like a perfect upgrade from my SV, the narrow tank and seat to peg distance felt owe so comfy. Thanks for any input.
blackrhino
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:17 pm Reply with quote

The main issues with the MTS seem to be as follows:

Brake Shudder - Make sure when driving the bike that you stop it from varying speeds and feel for any brake shudder from the front brakes. Several MTS's have varying degrees of this problem.

Instrument Panel - Make sure it resets (i.e. trip miles). If not Ducati will replace it under warranty.

Inaccurate Fuel Gauge - You will have to live with this one if you get the bike, the fuel gauge is very inaccurate on all MTS's (design issue?).

Kickstand - I have no problems with the use of my kickstand on my 04, however many people with luggage have made some major complaints about it being unsafe, so if you are to be carrying luggage (hard or soft bags) have the dealer throw in a centerstand (not good for track days) or have the dealer upgrade your sidestand to a 2005 spec.

Mirrors - Stock mirrors vibrate like a jackhammer and are not wide enough. The DP mirrors are much better. Maybe you get swing a big discount on the DP mirrors from the dealer by pointing how unusable they are. I bought some extenders from uglyduck that helped to see behind you and I will be ordering the DP mirrors from cyccon sport (Fred) as soon as I can figure out what a Proforma Invoice is.

VFR - Better wind protection, more HP, and not a Ducati. I actually was considering the MTS, ST3, and a VFR. The VFR would probably be more reliable even though I have no problems with my 04 MTS. I have zero regrets in getting the MTS.

Vstrom - Solid, good protection, affordable, ugly, not a Ducati.

You seem to have 3 good choices and good comparable bikes. The MTS is different then any bike I have owned or ridden for a time. I am very happy. For me the VFR and ST3 would have been great bikes I would have been happy with though the MTS a much bigger Grin Factor .