Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: After First Demo Ride; Not Sure
Goto page 1, 2  Next
IMADUCK
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:15 pm Reply with quote

Coming from a H-D "sport-touring" bike(Road King & SE Road Glide) background, I found my first demo ride on a MTS 1100S to be somewhat of a "culture shock". Overall the ride was rougher than I expected. This leads me to ask: Is the MTS a good 2-up bike for long distance, or is it primarily a single rider bike that can accommodate a passenger once in a while? I think I'll have to spend some $$$$ to outfit it with:
1. saddle bags and a tour box.
2. touring (gel) seats
3. different (larger) grips
4. taller fairing
After watching a parade of Italian bike dealers come and go over many years, I feel we finally have a dealer that is committed to stay in INDY for the long haul. With the price that they are asking for the 1100S I will have to continue to do research, and ask questions. I get the impression that the MTS could change significantly in 2010. Something about moving in the "adventure" bike direction. I know they are popular; but really not my style. I do like the Pearl White color, so maybe 2009 is the year.
Mike
JohnB
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:47 pm Reply with quote

Welcome, Mike.

If you ask 10 riders these questions, you'll probably get 10 different answers. IMO, the Multi doesn't have enough wind protection for serious touring. Also, I don't want to be bothered with chain maintenance on the road. The accomodations are not that roomy for the passenger either. This is why I bought an FJR1300 for long distance, 2-up, luggage full and possibly cold weather type touring. It has a great fairing, electrically adjustable windshield, spacious luggage and gobs of power everywhere. And, it can handle itself pretty well in the twisties too.
Don't get me wrong, I love my Multi for everything else. It gets most of my riding time. But, having had a Gold Wing at one time, there's no substitute for some luxuries on the long haul with a significant other.

John

2005 Multistrada 1000 S (sold)
eviltwin
MTS: 2007 1100S (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:54 pm Reply with quote

Hmmm...tough comparison. I've owned a Road King and you're really talking apples and oranges here. I assume you were not expecting a lot of similarities and that you're actually looking for the things a multi can give you which an HD can not. Concerning 2-up riding, the biggest variable is the passenger and what he/she deems comfortable. Did you demo the multi with or without a passenger? The multi has no problem carrying a pillion and loaded panniers on long-distance rides but it will be a drastically different experience for you and your pillion compared to your HD. Alot depends on what kind of ride you are looking for as the Ohlins suspenders will behave very differently than the, umm, plush HD version. IMHO, there is no "sport" in HD touring but if that's what you're looking for, the multi is very sporty indeed.

The list you've created will definitely add to touring comfort so you're on the right track.

07 MTS1100S
07 Team USA 999S
vern748
MTS: 2006 620 (Gray)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:45 pm Reply with quote

JohnB wrote:
I don't want to be bothered with chain maintenance on the road.

Huuu Think

Has this ever been a concern ?

MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:29 pm Reply with quote

vern748 wrote:
JohnB wrote:

Huuu Think

Well, you should clean/lube/adjust it every 600 miles.
Shaft drive maintenance is a drain/refill oil change once a year in my garage.

2005 Multistrada 1000 S (sold)
potomacduc
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:28 pm Reply with quote

IMADUCK wrote:
Coming from a H-D "sport-touring" bike(Road King & SE Road Glide) background.....
Mike

"H-D sport-touring" is an oxymoron. There is nothing sporty about H-D touring bikes.

Otherwise, I think the advice given above is pointing in the right direction. You don't need the comfort of a H-D or Gold Wing or ST1300 to cross the country on two wheels, just like you don't need a DVD player, Nintendo DS and GPS to drive two hours with your kids in the car. However, if you are used to those creature comforts it might be hard to do without.
vern748
MTS: 2006 620 (Gray)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:37 pm Reply with quote

JohnB wrote:
vern748 wrote:
JohnB wrote:

Huuu Think

I understand, but I am not going to pull off the road or cut my trip short because I needed to lube the chain.

Just thought it was an interesting comment.

MTS: 2007 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:22 pm Reply with quote

chain lube maintenance - no big deal, just plan your lube 'sprays' accordingly. short ride to breakfast, lube chain, ride rest of day. short ride to hotel, cabin, etc. in the evening after dinner, lube chain, ride care-free in the morning. chain lube doesn't take up much space in the tank bag, pannier or top case. easy. done. Cool

gone:
'95 duc 900ss, '03 duc ST4s, '05 zuk drz400s, '06 bmw r1200gsa, '05 husky tc450, '03 indian and more...
OSJ
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:11 pm Reply with quote

IMADUCK wrote:
Coming from a H-D "sport-touring" bike(Road King & SE Road Glide) background, I found my first demo ride on a MTS 1100S to be somewhat of a "culture shock". Overall the ride was rougher than I expected. This leads me to ask: Is the MTS a good 2-up bike for long distance, or is it primarily a single rider bike that can accommodate a passenger once in a while? I think I'll have to spend some $$$$ to outfit it with:
1. saddle bags and a tour box.
2. touring (gel) seats
3. different (larger) grips
4. taller fairing
After watching a parade of Italian bike dealers come and go over many years, I feel we finally have a dealer that is committed to stay in INDY for the long haul. With the price that they are asking for the 1100S I will have to continue to do research, and ask questions. I get the impression that the MTS could change significantly in 2010. Something about moving in the "adventure" bike direction. I know they are popular; but really not my style. I do like the Pearl White color, so maybe 2009 is the year.
Mike

Ive owned many bikes over the years, either sport bikes or sport touring bikes. For 3 years I had a Ducati Super sport and a Concours. Each one got 20k + miles on them in that time frame. I replaced both those bikes with my 07 Multi. I thought I would get the best of both worlds with this bike. After 9,000 miles in 6 months Im not quite sure it fits the bill.

I cant ride it as fast in the twisties as I could the SS and its not quite the touring bike the Connie was for the long 2 up trips. I spent some money on this one trying to solve some of the problems I had, Mirrors suck ( FAR's are not much better ) Seat is horrible ( Corbin solved that problem ) Center stand to ease with chain maintenance ( BUT this makes the ground clearance a bigger problem ) and the maintenance on this bike is much more expensive then my older super sport was ( wife is not happy about that! ) but with all that I still love looking at her and enjoy it every time I take her out.

Like I said, Im not quite sure it’s the right bike for me and the type of riding I enjoy but I sure am having fun finding this out!!
dickm
MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:52 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
"H-D sport-touring" is an oxymoron. There is nothing sporty about H-D touring bikes.

If your demo ride didn't 'rock your world'. this is the wrong place for opinions.
Plenty of milquetoast rides out there waiting for you

sorry
,DickM aka RichardCranium
Habanero
MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:45 am Reply with quote

I came to the Multi after a few hundred thousand miles on Beemers..the no worries approach that the shaft drive gives you, was very nice. But, I don't find chain maintenance to be a concern with the Duc, at all.

After I pull my gear off the bike at the end of a day of travel, the first thing I do is lube the chain. The bike is then ready for then next day of riding, it also gives me a chance to look over the bike and spot any potential issues. I don't mind it at all, I actually kind of enjoy it.

JohnB wrote:
vern748 wrote:
JohnB wrote:

Huuu Think

No Multistrada

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:19 pm Reply with quote

IMADUCK wrote:
I get the impression that the MTS could change significantly in 2010. Something about moving in the "adventure" bike direction. I know they are popular; but really not my style. I do like the Pearl White color, so maybe 2009 is the year.
Mike

I check this forum everyday looking for news of the new bike. I plan to get a 2010 Ducati to replace my R100GS. I also like the White color so if I don't like the new bike I might get a 2009. Or maybe a HyperMotard. Think

potomacduc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:02 pm Reply with quote

OSJ wrote:

I cant ride it as fast in the twisties as I could the SS

My guess is that it may be a riding style issue, as the Multi can run with anything in the twisties. You have to ride the Multi differently than you would a bike with clip-ons. I came from a Monster, which has an ergonomic set-up between the SS and Multi, and even then it took me awhile to adapt.

Also, sometimes I think the Multi can disguise speed through the twisties. I think that is a function of the higher riding position. At the same lean angle, you (well, your head) are further from the pavement on a taller bike. I think this takes away some of the perception of leaning and you feal like you aren't leaning as far as you are and therefore think you aren't pushing it as hard or going as fast. If you have riding buddies that have followed you frequently on both bikes, ask them if they think you have slowed down.
dudecati
MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:17 pm Reply with quote

I have a very nice Hypermotard that might be up for sale. PM me if you are interested.

feirmeoir wrote:
IMADUCK wrote:
I get the impression that the MTS could change significantly in 2010. Something about moving in the "adventure" bike direction. I know they are popular; but really not my style. I do like the Pearl White color, so maybe 2009 is the year.
Mike

I check this forum everyday looking for news of the new bike. I plan to get a 2010 Ducati to replace my R100GS. I also like the White color so if I don't like the new bike I might get a 2009. Or maybe a HyperMotard. Think

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:43 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
I cant ride it as fast in the twisties as I could the SS

I do not agree with this statement. My MTS hangs with super bikes in the twisties. When you are talking about high speed sweepers the superbike is better, and the superbike will obviously pull away on the straights, but tight twisties the MTS is the S*&t. The MTS has all the power that the SS has and a very stable flickable chassis. I have only riden a SS on track, but in my opinion the MTS handles better.