Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: High Mileage Concerns?
tpw
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:50 am Reply with quote

Hi, I am looking at an 06 1000S with about 27,000 on it. Anybody out there have any ideas on questions I should ask. Any concerns provided it has had all the appropriate service? Does anyone have high mileage on an 06 and have they run into any issues?
Any thoughts appreciated.
dmusic148
MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:51 pm Reply with quote

Hi and welcome. I've got an '06 with about 18,000 miles, no problems. The things to ask and be sure about are the timing belts and valve checks/adjustments. These are critical. The belts must be changed every 12,500 miles or two years, whichever comes first. The valves must be inspected and adjusted if needed every 6,500 miles. However some folks find that the valves 'settle in' after 10-15,000 miles and lengthen(double) the inspection interval. But no skimping on the belts-they are cheap compared the the consequences of not changing them.
Also the clutch, if original, is probably near the end of it's life. And the clutch basket is probably pretty beat up as well. These two items simply must be regarded as consumables, I'm afraid. Good news is they're not difficult to change, but sadly they're not cheap.
Take it for a ride and test the brakes. Pay extra attention to the front-they have a history of shuddering, particularly at low speeds. Some bikes do it, most don't. But if it does it's expensive to fix.
Aside from that, the usual stuff-oil changes, chain/sprockets, brake pads, etc.

almostowner
MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:36 pm Reply with quote

I have an 06 1000 S DS. It is 2 years 2 months old, and has 30,600 miles on it.

All service has been completed at the same shop, at the required intervals. I do all the 'off' oil changes.

There have been no glaring issues with the bike. I just had the 30K major service completed, and the valves were a bit out, more so than previous services (6K, 12K, 18K, 24K).

Just had the front brakes replaced @ 30K (EBC HH - highly recommend), and had the chain replaced @ 18K. Chain still has life it in. I am running a 520 chain on a 43 tooth AFAM sprocket.

I had a belt bearing almost seize about 10K ago, but it got replaced under warranty. I recommend you pull the belt covers off and spin the belt bearings by hand (just to make sure they spin (all 4)). I agree with dmusic148, the belts are very important.

And my clutch is still great, thank you very much!

The bike runs like a champ, and has not lost any of her character since new. If the deal and the bike look good, I say go for it.
TnTimbo
MTS: 2006 620 (Yellow)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:17 pm Reply with quote

I bought a 06 with 9300 miles last January, I don't believe it had the required 6000 mile service although the previous owner said he had done it on his own tp save money. I Had it serviced at 11,500, it now has 17,000 on it and has performed flawlessly. I have averaged over 1000 miles/month on the bike. It is my favorite city and short haul ride. I have done multiple 500 mile days on it.

I was gone six weeks of this time riding another bike to Alaska.

My Ducati dealer tried to talk me into riding it to Alaska. I told him I would if he or Ducati would put up sponsorship money. I rode my BMW GS on that trip.

So far I am very impressed with the durability of the Ducati.
T
tpw
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:57 am Reply with quote

Thanks much to all of you for the responses!
I just sold my 2001 M900Sie yesterday so I have the cash for the Multi! I did the belts (only two on the older Monster) and I reshuffled the clutch pack on that bike, so I comfortable with with that level of work and more. I will take a look at the brakes; I would expect them to have some wear by now. Also, I am pretty sure the current owner had all service work done locally so he should allow me to talk to the shop about the bikes history.
Thanks again for your input; if anyone else wants to chime in, feel free.
Multi Man
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:41 am Reply with quote

I have an 07 Red non S for sale with 800 miles and is flawless for $8900 and you can pick up a set of used Olin forks for about a grand if the suspension is crucial to you... just a thought.
dickm
MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:42 am Reply with quote

I have a truck w/ a ramp in Seattle. PM me when that sucker croaks, and I'll give you a lift home; (karma trade)