Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: could the mts be "the one"?
nostatic
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:11 pm Reply with quote

ok, so 25 or so years since I've been on a bike (enduros way back when). Got the bug, just finished the MSF so now I'm hunting for my first bike. I have a lot of miles on bicycles (racing on and off road) and I track an old 911 so I'm no stranger to 2 or 4 wheels at speed. I'm not speed-crazed though, and am fairly "mature" with my throttles.

So I've been going back and forth on what do get. A Monster was the initial object of lust, followed by an MTS, keeping with my air cooled background. I just can't get warm for Japanese bikes, although an SV650 could be a decent "starter" bike...although I know I'd be itching for something with more soul in about 2 weeks. So after reading everything I could I narrowed things down to a few choices (although they might not make sense): used Monster (750/800/900), SS750 (have a line on some used ones), Triumph Speed Four (yeah, water cooled but I can get one cheap and they are funky), or BMW R1100S. See...like I said, odd choices, but those are the ones that "speak" to me. Oh, and for good measure throw a SuperMotard bike in there...I like the upright feel..lik my old enduros and the bikes at MSF course.

But then I start wondering again about the MTS. I don't want to spring for a new 1000DS, and used ones in the states aren't easy to come by (and are still pricey). So I wander back onto this forum and see the 620s are starting to appear. So that sets me thinking...could this be the solution? I don't really want to have multiple bikes (I've already got 2 cars and limited garage space, not to mention money), and my riding would be fun stuff with some local canyons, maybe a long ride or two, and hopefully a handful of low key track days. Not really going to fight LA traffic on a regular basis...that's what the subaru is for.

So a new MTS 620? I love the look (yes, I'm weird), love the air cooled, probably love the more upright position (at 43 I'm not getting younger), and love the rear exit pipes. Like I said, I'm not an absolute speed demon, and instead prefer to drive/ride a slow vehicle fast (my 911 has all of 180hp...its all about momentum). Or is there a better choice?
nickybcareful
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:07 am Reply with quote

Ok nostatic - this is my 2 cents. It sounds like you are a mature and sensible rider. For me, I had never owned a true muscle machine until I bought the Multistrada. Very Happy True, I’ve had the Triumphs, etc. that mysteriously crashed at 100 MPH+ (ouch! Doh ). But those are days gone by. Now I know how much low-sides hurt – so I ride to avoid them. If you think you can handle a powerful (and agile) bike, then I would say go for the MTS 1000. You’ll have it (the power) if you want it – particularly if you make the upgrades folks on this site have made. I had a 750 cc Japanese (something) bike that was fun and boring at the same time. Really, it’s a decision between whether or not you want to ride a stallion or start with a pony. If you’re not ready for it, the pony is a good choice. As many members have said: it’s time in the saddle that make you a safe rider Neutral.

�Keep your stick on the ice!�
� Red Green
Cool Person Test
loop
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:25 am Reply with quote

hi
a friend of mine started with the monster 600 then a couple of months ago he moved to s2r (800) and now he conciders that next year he should move to s4r!!!
what i say is that one way or another you will end at 1000! so why waste money? be brave and go to the S DS 1000 it might seems expensive but in a depth of 2-3 years you will save money!!!
jbcaddy
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:02 am Reply with quote

Find a dealer that will let you do a test ride. I bypassed one to do so. I found that i didn't fit on a monster. however, one ride on the multi was all it took. I have done 6,000 miles on it so far and love it. the power was quite a step up from the bikes I have been riding, but power is like money. you get to where you just can't have too much! I love the roll-on torque. JB