Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Multistrada Advice, Please Advise!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
IMADUCK
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:05 am Reply with quote

Dean,
Given the current economic climate, and the riding season winding down is some areas of the country, I would think that if you can find a "new" '07 that would be the way to go. I would feel that there are bargins to be had on old inventory that dealers are paying floor plan on. That is unless you just have to have Pearl White. My favorite combination is black with the matte black panniers.
Mike
KevinP
MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:24 am Reply with quote

I use my multistrada for sport touring, and it has more cornering clearance than I can use on public roads (no centerstand installed).

I rode the BMW800ST and agree with others who have posted. There is no possible way the BMW could be more comfortable on long trips since the riding position is more sport bike than sport touring (I have a 34in inseam). More wind on the BMW and less flickable at low speeds.
The engine is the big difference. The 800ST definitely sounds like its coming apart above 6000 RPMs, so if you’re planning on spending much time up there, I would look elsewhere. The desmodue however purs and howls gloriously above 6000 RPMs giving a distinct feedback that all is well inside the motor when ridden hard. Let’s see… the wheels & brakes, suspension, and frame are all better for sport riding on the Ducati.

Okay, enough already, I'll stop now.

Last edited by KevinP on Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dean L
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:48 pm Reply with quote

Wow!! Great feedback, everyone.

Just in case I didn't make it clear, my preference is definitely the MTS 1100S. I love Ducati's air cooled V-Twin, and the Ohlins suspension is tops. I do wish that the Duc had a lower seat, and my intention in my original post was first to find a way to lower the seat height, and second, to determine if doing so would compromise the handling. I feel all of your comments have answered my concerns.

For me, a chain drive touring bike needs a center stand, if for no other reason than to ease chain maintenance on long rides, but I find it makes it easier to deal with side bags and/or tailtrunks as well. I guess I'd put up with a small loss in cornering clearance to gain the the flexibility of a center stand.

A couple of you have indicated that the F800ST doesn't offer good wind protection, but I found the airflow coming off the Beemer's fairing to be smoother than on the MTS. I also wish the MTS had heated grips and a built in accessory outlet for an electric vest or other accessory. I imagine that the latter can be added aftermarket.

And, personally, I rather like the idea of belt drive in a sport touring motorcycle--much lower unsprung weight than a shaft drive, and none of the maintenance hassles of a chain. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I much prefer riding a bike to maintaining it. The guy who broke his BMW belt at 30K miles should have replaced it at 25K miles, which the dealer claims is the recommended service interval. Admittedly, $700 is a bit steep, but in 25 K miles I would typically have to replace the chain and both sprockets twice, so with labor included, my cost wouldn't be much different. Perhaps others get more life out of their chains, but I don't wait until the chain is completely shot before replacement.

What impresses me most about the MTS is that the owners are apparently very satisfied with their choice of mount, and that says a lot. For me, the trick is to find a MTS that I can get at a good price. I'll probably have to buy out of state to maximize savings--definitely a hassle to do, and it carries a certain amount of risk as well. For those reasons, it may be better to pay more and buy locally, and pay more I will.

I made an offer on the last remaining `08 MTS here in the valley, and the dealer countered with full list price plus $610 for freight and $525 for prep plus tax, license, doc fees, etc. Total came to a staggering $17.6K out the door. Obviously, this dealer wants to own the bike far worse than I do.

Thanks again for all your thoughtful responses.

`95 Ducati 900SP
`01 Aprilia Falco SL1000
lotus54
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:10 pm Reply with quote

Dean L wrote:
The guy who broke his BMW belt at 30K miles should have replaced it at 25K miles, which the dealer claims is the recommended service interval. Admittedly, $700 is a bit steep, but in 25 K miles I would typically have to replace the chain and both sprockets twice, so with labor included, my cost wouldn't be much different. Perhaps others get more life out of their chains, but I don't wait until the chain is completely shot before replacement.

I had no idea those belts were so much and only lasted that long.
I had about 19k miles on my original chain, is wasn't totally shot or anything but due for replacement.
I so far really like the Pro-Oiler chain oiler. Once it is dialed in there is very little chain maintenance (just don't read the chart wrong and turn it UP instead of DOWN on a long day like I did).
Chain was about $100, sprockets close to that if I recall. But of course I do all my own maintenance so I don't count labour.

I end up on dirt roads a fair amount, not the best for chains...

I like the looks of the BMW, but I've not ridden one. A buddy just bought the new model and really likes it. I've ridden the K1200S model for a LONG day and liked it a lot for more open roads. (the Multi is WAY better on the tight stuff)

Mark

Beta XTrainer 300
ewebster1
MTS: 2006 620 (Yellow)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:41 am Reply with quote

Dean L.

In 30K miles I have only replaced my chain and sprockets once. At this point they are still wearing quite well. Aside from services, the new chain seems to have no need for adjustment.

KevinP, I never had the F800ST over 6K. With almost two hundred cc's more than my MTS620 AND water-cooled I didn't want to risk the speeds that would entail on the road I was on Smile

Dean L
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:23 am Reply with quote

ewebster1

I've never gotten anywhere close to 30K miles out of a chain and sprockets, and I rarely go more than 500 miles before wiping down and re-lubing the chain. Perhaps the 620 doesn't stress a chain nearly as much as larger displacement machines, or maybe you ride far more conservatively than I do (based on your comment to KevinP).

Years ago I used to have a Yamaha XV920 that the chain ran in a completely sealed and grease-packed enclosure, and I never got anywhere close to that mileage out of the chain. I guess these new chains must last a lot longer than I think.

I wonder if KevinP would think that vibrator of a machine Beemer would be better suited to me than the MTS 1100S if he knew I was well over 60? Wink

Dean
ewebster1
MTS: 2006 620 (Yellow)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:54 am Reply with quote

Dean L.

I should amend my post.

I had my chain and sprockets replaced once, at 14,497 miles at a cost of $327. Prior to that point I needed to adjust my chain tension at least once a month. Since then, I only clean and lube the chain with adjustments when the rear wheel comes out.

Dean L
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:55 pm Reply with quote

ewebster1

Thanks for the clarification--clearly, I misunderstood what you were telling me. What you state confirms my notion that the cost of belt replacement is only a little greater than that of chains and sprokets over a similar distance traveled. I really like the concept of belt drive, but it would be a disaster on an adventure motorcycle.

lotus54, I'll have to look into the Pro-Oiler chain oiler--anyone who can get 19K miles out of an OEM chain is doing something right. Doesn't something like that end up slinging a fair bit of oil off the chain and onto various and sundry parts of the motorcycle?

I, too, rode the K1200S and would prefer it on a long day's ride on more open road, but I found myself having a hard time getting comfortable with the steering (cornering); and the brakes, while powerful, seemed overly sensitive and lacking the progressive feel of the MTS brakes. Every bike has traits you have to get used to, but BMWs have tended to have more of those than most. The little F800ST, however, is far easier to ride. As an all-arounder, though, I doubt there's a better bike than the Multi.

Dean
Habanero
MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:03 pm Reply with quote

I'm going on to 20,000 miles on the original chain and sprockets. They looked fine to me, but I figured that my shop would have suggested changing them out at my 18,000 service, but they said the looked great. I will definitely change them out at 24,000.

Krause Racing offers Titanium sprockets and chains that offer a lifetime guarantee! I'm probably going to give them a try.

http://sidewindersprockets.com/

MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:34 pm Reply with quote

Dean L wrote:
ewebster1

lotus54, I'll have to look into the Pro-Oiler chain oiler--anyone who can get 19K miles out of an OEM chain is doing something right. Doesn't something like that end up slinging a fair bit of oil off the chain and onto various and sundry parts of the motorcycle?

The 19k was before the chain oiler. I used teflon lube and cleaned it.
I just got tired of cleaning it and wanted to try out the chain oiler.

If adjusted correctly, there is very little oil flinging onto the bike.
If adjusted incorrectly it can make a horrible mess!

I'd still rather have a modern chain with a lightweight fully enclosed setup.
That and a chain oiler and I'll be the chain would last a LONG time.

I think I would have gotten more miles, but I end up on dirt roads a lot and didn't clean the chain very well. Plus it could have gone more, it just was starting to get stiff links and I figured it's time was due.

Mark

Beta XTrainer 300
Dean L
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:21 pm Reply with quote

Habanero

That makes at least 3 of you guys that are getting really good mileage out of your chains, so it appears that Ducati is using a much higher quality chain nowdays than they did when I bought my last Duc. Of course, it doesn't make maintaining them any less of a hassle, which is my primary objection to chains on a touring motorcycle.

Thanks for the link on the sprockets. I didn't price them, but they do sound interesting. If I understood what I read, only the sprockets are guaranteed for life. Their chain, called the "Smart Chain", looks very interesting as well, but their claim is to last twice as long as X-ring or D-ring (or any other "ring") chain. I didn't see a lifetime guarantee on the chain, but maybe that's not the chain you were referring to. In any event, they sound like the chain and sprockets to use if a perso n is going to keep the bike for a long time.

Dean