Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Buying 2005 1000DS, but mech problem. Help please!
rhino_343
MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:18 pm Reply with quote

Hi guys, just took a 2005 MTS 1000ds ofr a test run. It is a private sale, it has only 7000k's on it but is not looked after the way I would have expected a bike like this should be... the owner reckons it was serviced at 1000k's and again at 6000k's and I don't doubt this, but the bike is filthy, it has obviously never been washed. The motor felt strong and I THINK the clutch/gearbox felt ok, but it is very different from my bikes and from the wet clutch 1100 Multi I rode at the dealer the other day (new demo bike). So I need to get advice on a couple issues.

1. Whilst riding I noticed a burning smell, like hot brakes. I had been doing about 120 down a open road and pulled over to a side road and as I slowed down the bike started juddering like I was in to high a gear, I changed down but it kept doing it, when I pulled in the clutch to roll to a stop the bike just STOPPED and I couldnt move it with the clutch in. I hopped off and managed to wrestleit in 1st to the side of the road and switched it off. I played with both brakes and I suspect the front brake may have been jammed but the disc wasnt glowing? Front brake had hardly any freeplay before engaging and rear had heaps before any kind of feeling? I switched bike back on and pulled the clutch in and all of a sudden it felt fine, rolling easily in neutral? Any ideas what would cause this, brakes, clutch, engine?

2. The bike had a small oil leak just near where the header exits the engine on left side, it looked like it was from a gasket. Owner said he had only noticed it in the last couple of days. Do they get many oil leaks? Is this just a Ducati thing or should I be worried about this?

3. When you turn the ignition on, before starting the bike, does the oil light normally stay on?

4. The cover on the front brake reservoir was flaking off paint and coroded because he lives near the coast. There were a few other cosmetic issues like this (other than the bike being filthy). My question re. this is, are these kind of small parts very expensive to replace on a ducati? If I buy the bike I will want to get it back to looking like new, so just wondering how to factor these things into my buy price?

Thanks very much for any answers you fellas can give me, Ducati's are a new beast to me and I am not that familiar with them, being more of a dirt bike style rider usually. So your advice is hugely appreciated as this is a big purchase for me!
jrbourke
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:59 pm Reply with quote

Here is another instance of a corrosive environment causing havoc with the rear brake.
Probably... your rear brake overheated and boiled the brake fluid in the caliper causing a pressure lock that subsided when it cooled enough to stop the boiling. The reason it was dragging and overheating is more than likely caused by the pistons/pads not retracting all the way after it gets used. To tie it all together: corrosion on the exposed piston surfaces of the rear caliper and edges of the pads, first because of the environment, second because of the caliper being mounted upside down( i.e. on the bottom of the rotor) so it becomes the repository for shit draining off the rotor, third because of the obvious lack of proper care, has led to the pads remaining in contact with the rear rotor etc......You need to see the recent posting by "all" called "Short ride, big trouble" that described the same ordeal. Common denominator=corrosive environment. I posted a little main. routine that should help you out. If things are too bad, get a new set of pads for the P34 rear caliper and service the caliper and pistons with new seals before bleeding.
Jon

Twotone
MTS: 2008 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:15 am Reply with quote

When in doubt go without Cool

Trust me if a bike looks like it hasn't been cared for, it usually means it hasn't, better to buy another even for more money than a less loved Duke. It might be cheap but you don't want a project bike. Do you?

T
mandrbarrett
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:06 am Reply with quote

Leave it well alone.

If its been neglected on the outside then its been neglected on the inside too - unless he can show you receipts for services then I'd seriously doubt that they were done.

If you do go ahead and buy it allow a contingency for the cost of putting rights a few bugs with it.

Ducatis don't leak oil more than any other bikes so I'd be cautious about this. yes the oil light will come on as soon as you turn thekey, and go out as soon as the engine fires.

If you want a bike that looks like new then I'd wait and buy the right bike, otherwise you're in for a lot of cost and time, ane you probably won't ever get it looking like new again.

Mark.
jeffpm
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:18 pm Reply with quote

I'd agree with the others. If the seller isn't even bothering to clean the bike before selling, chances are he hasn't taken very good care of it. Another one will come along.

rhino_343

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:36 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Rhino
Hampus
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:18 pm Reply with quote

Ì agree, look for another multi. This one has too many questionmarks for you. Especially the oil leak. And you are perhaps right about the front brakes, but could the burning smell have come from dirt on the exhaust?

One thing about the rear brake is the total lack of feeling. I think this is normal, my rear brake isn't anywhere near the feeling of my old Kawasaki Zephyr and it's easy to lock it when the tires are cold or worn, just because I apply to much rear brake. On the Zephyr I could always tell how much rear brake I applied and when it was close to lock up.

Did you feel if any of the brake disc was hotter than normal?

The cover on the front brake reservoir is normal. They all do that.
rhino_343

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:18 am Reply with quote

Hampus wrote:
Ì agree, look for another multi. This one has too many questionmarks for you. Especially the oil leak. And you are perhaps right about the front brakes, but could the burning smell have come from dirt on the exhaust?

One thing about the rear brake is the total lack of feeling. I think this is normal, my rear brake isn't anywhere near the feeling of my old Kawasaki Zephyr and it's easy to lock it when the tires are cold or worn, just because I apply to much rear brake. On the Zephyr I could always tell how much rear brake I applied and when it was close to lock up.

Did you feel if any of the brake disc was hotter than normal?

The cover on the front brake reservoir is normal. They all do that.

I didn't feel the discs because I thought they would glow red... I was since told they glow blue, I couldnt tell if they were blue as I was in shade.

Do you guys know if any one makes a billet alloy cover for the reservoir?

I looked at the bike again today and decided I was a bit harsh with my description of it, it wasn't that rough or dirty, just all the 'hard to clean' bits were dirty... I think he is lazy in cleaning it. I got a mate to look as well and he reckons at a good price it would be a good buy. I spoke to the owner of the Ducati dealership where it was bought from, I know the owner of the shop, he reckons the guy that owns the mts is a good guy and that the bike should be ok... this dealer has really done the right thing by me in the past and is a very helpful guy (Wayne Patterson in Bunbury West Australia) so I totallly trust what he says... I think I will make a low offer on it, take it too Waynes shop if I get it and get them to give it a thorough going over.
Thanks again for the help people, hopefully I will soon be an mts owner and will get to know some of you guys a bit better... I normally spend my time at advrider.com
Twotone
MTS: 2008 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:50 am Reply with quote

"Do you guys know if any one makes a billet alloy cover for the reservoir?"

Ok you have to use your jugement I guess>

Rizoma makes the billet Res' covers just to name one brand but check out the US ebay, and do some google.

Good luck Enjoy

T
Hans Wurst
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:24 am Reply with quote

Twotone wrote:
".. Rizoma

Or take the covers off, have them sand blasted for 10 bucks & polish them 10 mins each ..
eh voilá:

cheers,
GS

Admiral Nelson
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:22 pm Reply with quote

or paint them yourself like I did......

'Its not the size of dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog'
rhino_343

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:02 pm Reply with quote

Well got the new bike home yesterday!