Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: South Coast UK Dealer
Goto page 1, 2  Next
guernseybozrah
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:29 pm Reply with quote

As we don't have a dealer here in Guernsey worth mentioning, and who according to rumour is about to close due to all the staff moving on, any recommendations for a UK southern coast boy.......well just off anyway.

MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:49 pm Reply with quote

WM Snells in Alton (Hants). No, not on the coast but I travel down from West London and well worth the effort imho.
Admiral Nelson
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:54 pm Reply with quote

Are you after buying a dealership or Multistrada Mr. Green

Don't know anything about them but I suspect 3X Motorcycles are the nearest to you.

http://www.3xmotorcycles.net/

2008 1100 bikes with 1 mile on the clock for £7800

or £7950 with the panniers.

'Its not the size of dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog'
Dr Bob
MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:15 am Reply with quote

WITHOUT PREJUDICE.... Be careful with 3X - 1st class sales, I've bought there - although in my experience absolute *rse h*les for after sales & service. I live about 20 miles from them and wound up travelling to Snells, more like 50 miles! A smaller outfit but, at least you can talk to them.
Had a mate so disgusted with 3X (not on a Duc), he wound up riding to Exeter for his servicing within the warrenty period and paid for a new number plate just to get the 3X name off his bike.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:48 pm Reply with quote

Who does he use in Exeter for service on his Duke Bob cause at the moment, I have to go from Plymouth to Bridgewater.

Dr Bob
MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:02 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
(not on a Duc)
Was actually a Guzzi + he has family in that area.
Rob

MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:00 pm Reply with quote

Avoid Alan Lear Motorcycles in Winchester.

A few weeks ago I bought an ST2 as a winter runabout. The previous owner took it there for a new clutch a week before I bought the bike. 300 miles after I bought it the clutch was making weird grinding noises, and slipping under load but not disengaging fully when changing gear. Thankfully I stopped after a mile or so at town speeds to investigate.

The idiot had not tightened the centre nut after refitting the clutch hub and the clutch had moved off the end of the shaft until the springs were grinding away at the inside of the clutch cover.

After a few hours and a spare secondhand clutch, normal service was resumed, but what would have happened if I'd been on the A roads at normal speeds?

Mark
coman
MTS: 2005 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:18 pm Reply with quote

Watty wrote:
WM Snells in Alton (Hants). No, not on the coast but I travel down from West London and well worth the effort imho.

+1 on Snells. Have only had one service there, and asked them to check the mixture after I'd fitted Termis. They balanced the throttles and it ran smoother thereafter.

As a small, family run business, they are very friendly, and as Dr Bob says, they are happy to chat bikes with you.

No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:02 pm Reply with quote

thanks people for the advise, much appeciated.
I must say I'm suprised to get some bad vibes about 3X as I thought they would of been at the top of their game.
I take it with Snells its to small to be on the web then?
Incidentally the others i had heard about was Motorapido and Red Dog, any thoughts on these.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:18 pm Reply with quote

mandrbarrett wrote:

A few weeks ago I bought an ST2 as a winter runabout. The previous owner took it there for a new clutch a week before I bought the bike. 300 miles after I bought it the clutch was making weird grinding noises, and slipping under load but not disengaging fully when changing gear. Thankfully I stopped after a mile or so at town speeds to investigate.

The idiot had not tightened the centre nut after refitting the clutch hub and the clutch had moved off the end of the shaft until the springs were grinding away at the inside of the clutch cover.

After a few hours and a spare secondhand clutch, normal service was resumed, but what would have happened if I'd been on the A roads at normal speeds?

Mark

Christ Mark that is familiar - remember my catastrophic clutch failure. Mine didn't have the OEM clutch cover but a beautiful vented cover and the thing came out until the springs jammed in the clutch cover and snapped all of the clutch drum posts off! I was so lucky that it did not lock up and spit me off.

mandrbarrett

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:34 pm Reply with quote

Hmmm, I remember the posts about your problem. Thank fully I had the standard metal cover on, otherwise it would have come right out through a carbon cover.

The only real damage was to the cover which now has a nice burnt ring on it where teh spring carriers touched it on the inside and the friction caused the paint on the outside to burn a bit. The spring carriers were all shot.

The problem seems to be that when he put the big stepped spacer back on over the clutch drum there is a small pin and a hole that need lining up so that the big spacer cant turn. I suspect he never lined these two up so tightening the centre nut just mashed the pin, and it didn't stop the spacer from turning. Therefore with a few hundred miles and a bit of vibration it undid all by itself. Unfortunately this has ruined the clutch hub as well as I can't get out what's left of the pin to replace it. I had a spare clutch so there was no downtime, but it seems a shame to have to throw away the clutch hub because of someone else's incompetence.
Admiral Nelson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:22 am Reply with quote

I remember trying to glue a pin back in. I cant remember wqhat I did in the end and I dont want to take it apart to find out. Mr. Green

I did manage to borrow a clutch tool to hold it still when I was torqueing it up. I was tempted to use high strength loctitie but followed the manual and used high temp grease in the end.

(sorry for highjacking the thread Mr. Green )

Watty
MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:56 am Reply with quote

guernseybozrah wrote:
thanks people for the advise, much appeciated.
I must say I'm suprised to get some bad vibes about 3X as I thought they would of been at the top of their game.
I take it with Snells its to small to be on the web then?
Incidentally the others i had heard about was Motorapido and Red Dog, any thoughts on these.

Here: http://www.snellmotorcycles.com/
timtwickham
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:01 pm Reply with quote

I've also had a problem with them.
They agreed to pick up a dead scooter, fix it, MOT and service it.
They didn't turn up, and only phoned hours later to say they couldn't find the place. They then said that they couldn't be bothered to come out again to pick it up, so they didn't many my business.
With an attitude like that, go elsewhere!

mandrbarrett wrote:

Mark
Android

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:23 am Reply with quote

I have only heard good things about Moto Rapido at Winchester.