Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: St4s to MTS??
redrover
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:47 am Reply with quote

Currently have an ST4S and thinking about changing to MTS. Would appreciate any feedback from those of you who have made this change, especially any regrets. I love the power and handling of the ST4s and am worried about the horse-power reduction of the Multistrada.
Thanks for the help.
Mike
Multibound

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:31 pm Reply with quote

I havent done the switch but i test rode both. Acceleration is about the same. Factor in the extra 50lbs on the ST4 with about 20more hp and you have the same power to weight ratio with the MTS. Have you checked out the new 2004 ST4? It all depends on what your looking for. Take one for test ride and see foryourself before jumping to any conclusions.

Art

jacknipper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:52 pm Reply with quote

secondo me la differenza principale non è nella potenza massima ma nell'uso che ne vuoi fare: la st4s è una moto sportiva per fare turismo, la MTS è una "fun bike" anche sportiva: una moto che ti permette di guidare quasi in stile supermotard oltrechè guidare "pulito" come la st4s ... un'altra cosa di cui tenere conto è ogni quanto cambi la moto poichè la linea st non ha mai venduto molto quindi perderà più velocemente il suo valore ...

according to me the main difference is not in the difference of power but in the use that you want to do of it: the st4s is a sporty bike for do tourism, the MTS is a "fun bike" also sporty: a bike that allows you to drive n SM style in add to "clean" drive like the st4s...
another thing to hold account is how much time you change the bike because the ST line is not much sold and therefore it will lose faster its value...

My photo album at: http://www.otweb.it/foto_JN
Steve B
MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:04 pm Reply with quote

I went from a '99 ST4 to a Multistrada. While not an ST4s, it's close. The power hasn't been a big issue to me. The MTS feels considerably stronger up to about 6000 rpm than the 916 motor did. From that point on the 4 valve motor would leave it. I've ridden an ST4s and their 996 pulls quite a bit stronger on the low end than the 916 though. I think the riding position is more comfortable on the MTS than an ST, but the '04 STs have adjustable ergos too. I haven't sampled one of them.

To be disappointed with the 1000DS motor would depend on what kind of riding you do. If you ride two up at high speed then it might not be enough power. If you want to cruise 100mph then have plenty of acceleration, a 4 valver is the answer. That's not the kind of riding I do and it suits me just fine. If you mainly do backroads riding with the occasional highway blast, I don't think you'd be disappointed.
desmodummy
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:20 pm Reply with quote

I own an standard ST4s and testdrove an MTS.
The MTS felt to me as fast as the ST4s until say 7000 rpm. The MTS seems to rev easier, feels (is) lighter and the riding position gives you the sense that there cant go anything wrong. The MTS has a more friendly engine, it feels more sophisticated.
The speed experience is quite different. On the St4s you always go faster then you think. I think the MTS is saver to your driving license.
On the MTS the windprotection isnt as good and the suspension feels less planted (in comparison to the st4s).

But I like both! For fun rides the MTS is the bike. But for me when it comes to all year driving, when you use the bike to commute, and specialy at higher speeds i think the ST4s is better. And the engine has that special brutal something.
Giando

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:44 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Currently have an ST4S and thinking about changing to MTS. Would appreciate any feedback from those of you who have made this change, especially any regrets

I have made Whistle Whistle Whistle
I think you have to try the Mts Very Happy but obviously the decision depends on what you want from the bike.
If you use it on short run I think Mts is better and very very fun.
If you want a bike for long ride St4s give you something more, expecially because of the "tremendous" acceleration over the 7000 rpm Mr. Green
I agree with Desmodummy that on St4s you always go faster then you think (and you feel), while on Mts you feel to go faster then reality with a lot of fun Very Happy
spo002

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:27 pm Reply with quote

It depends on what riding style you like. I prefere the Multi's SM like-terror-on-the-road style. Its faster turning and more quick handling bike. Not ideal for long hi-way use.
Power Is always better. I should say that if the Multi came with a 916 engine it would be the perfect bike.