Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Somebody stop me!
Adventure Rider
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:20 pm Reply with quote

On a whim yesterday I was shopping around for an MTS locally, and I found out that a local dealer had what seemed like a decent deal on a used 2004 ($10K asking price). I have cash, so I could probably beat them down a little even though I am not very good at that.

I have researched and considered the MTS for a while as I have always wanted a Ducati. Part of it is the music a 90 degree V-Twin makes - but then there is the Guzzi, the Suzuki and the Honda 90 deg. VTwins too - but save for the Guzzi Quota I don't think any of those bikes would fit me (6'6" with a bad back that can't sit on a crotch rocket much less ride one for an hour).

Part of it is having an Italian bike, but the Guzzi fills that niche too - although I have always kinda looked askance at their tech which seemed to be something of a blend of BMW Airhead and Oilhead, and not that impressive.

I currently own a Suzuki DR350 which I blew the top end off of, and a BMW Airhead GS which now suffers from missing circlip syndrome (the transmission is of that year range and has gone south).

I like to ride backroads and go exploring any road that hits my fancy. That sometimes includes dirt/gravel roads and even trails. The DR is great for the dirt roads and trails, but lousy for anything more than 50 miles away (I once did a 2K trip on it, and boy was I sore afterwards). The GS is okay for long trips, but lousy off-road.

I was thinking of getting the KTM LC8 for my big bike for long trips where I might explore off-road - but truth be told, most of my riding is usually close to home (less than 500 miles or shorter) and mostly on pavement - I love carving up the backroads, but I am not such a squid that I need a sharp edged bike, just something more capable than my GS (often known as the Rubber Cow for how it acts in the corners).

I am a fair weather rider, and in the Pacific NorthWet that means less than half the year.

I am not concerned about items on the bike that are easy to replace or modify. We have an excellent seat guy here in Seattle, the mirrors sound like they are easy to replace, and other little bits too - as long as I can onesey-twosey it without major expense.

As I understand, my only real choice (with regards to the MTS models) would be to either get a non-S model or the S-model. The rest of the diffs between the 2005 and 2004 are mostly trivial and/or easily retrofitted (the windscreen? can it be retrofitted?).

Are there any really tall guys (6'5" or taller) here who own/ride and MTS? Most of my height is in my torso rather than my legs, but my legs are longer than average (34" inseam).

Has anybody taken a moderately long tour on the MTS (400+ miles per day, several thousand miles or more in one trip)?
kenvvy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:59 pm Reply with quote

The MTS won't fair well as an off road bike. Never was inteded to do so.

I am 6'4 and ride a multi. I have put in 1500 miles in three days, and will be doing 1800 in three days at the end of May. No problems whatsoever. Three weeks ago, I rode it 400 miles through the coastal mountains to a track day - unbolted my luggage, rode the track the next day, and returned home after the track day via a 180 mile freeway ride. Hard to find a bike to do all that.
SCOTT
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:01 pm Reply with quote

Welcome Adventure Rider,

I suppose your decision might be based on how much dirt you're talking about as the MTS is technically not a Dual Sport but rather a Mountain Pass Bike (Rough roads, switchbacks, pot holes etc.) due to the 17" wheels and no bash plates. The bike is IDEAL for tight mountain roads!! If I were to use the MTS more than rarely on dirt roads, I would go for either the KTM 950 Adventure or BMW GS 1200 IMHO.

Having said that, I'm riding to Death Valley next week and may join the GS owners in the group on their little Saturday excursion to explore the ghost towns in the area... if the dirt roads are OK. I'll probably report back to the forum on how things went... Think

Regarding long trips, a friend took his MTS from SFO to East Coast and back (the LONG WAY) last summer and rode on alot of gravel roads. He had a fantastic time, cracked his frame under the rear luggage rack (FYI, now all MTS have reinforced frames under the luggage rack!) and did an indicated 137 mph on a long, long straightaway with the 14 tooth countersprocket. A great sportstouring bike if you buy an Airhawk Seat Cover in his opinion! Without the Airhawk, it's torture after a few LONG days (500+ miles) in the saddle. FYI, his max miles btwn fill-up was usually 200 miles putting in 5 gal.

Cheers,

Scott

Last edited by SCOTT on Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
falcofred

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:04 pm Reply with quote

If you've got the $ go for the S model, of course you could save some $ by purchasing the 04 and put the $ you saved into luggage. Be sure to inquire about how long it will take to get luggage, some have been waitin awhile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:51 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. Given the design of the bike I didn't expect it to be capable of any off-road riding, off-pavement a little sure, but off-road no.

I have read a few posts here state that the 'S' model is nice, but really only worth it if you are a sharp skilled rider who likes to push it to the edge. I am not that sharp skilled rider. I like to ride the twisty roads but not the ragged edge. Should I still consider the 'S'?

Where I think I want to spend money on the best suspension I can get would be in my off-road bikes where it really helps my riding.

I will probably still get the KTM, but I am now thinking the MTS would come first. I would not get an Oilhead at this point in time as I consider the KTM a better bike in that regard and I don't do two-up touring (the only thing the Oilhead GS would be better at in my opinion).
lotus54
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:57 pm Reply with quote

I think the MTS is very good on gravel roads. The only place it may start having problems if it gets REALLY rough. I don't know how strong those wheels are...

I bought the 'S', even though I don't push things that hard anymore. I like the plushness of the Ohlins. For the price, I think it is a good deal. I'm not sure if Seattle Ducati has a 'S' demo or not. They did have one for sale a few weeks ago, but it most likely is gone by now.
I've been told the 'S' bars make a big difference in vibration reaching your hands, but I don't have any experience on the non 'S' bikes. Maybe I'll try and take one out next time I'm over that way, just for a comparison.

Luggage...I ordered mine when I bough the bike in January. I found out the Givi is having major problems getting the molds and colour right (Nonfango went out of business last fall)- and who knows when they will be avaliable.
Seattle Duc was very helpful in getting me a grey set with a bit more off so I could paint it. Certainly not their fault that the bags are not avalible, but I have to give it to them that they went out of their way to do what they could to get me a set.

Mark
Port Angeles

[quote="Adventure Rider"]
I have read a few posts here state that the 'S' model is nice, but really only worth it if you are a sharp skilled rider who likes to push it to the edge. I am not that sharp skilled rider. I like to ride the twisty roads but not the ragged edge. Should I still consider the 'S'?

Where I think I want to spend money on the best suspension I can get would be in my off-road bikes where it really helps my riding.
Adventure Rider

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:27 pm Reply with quote

I bought the bike yesterday.

It was different than I expected it, and I probably won't be taking it off-pavement on purpose.

I do like it - more juice than I am used to, certainly a lot more solid and planted than the "rubber cow" or the Oilhead GS I have ridden. I like it.

So, I log in here today and what do I see as the random pic on the front page? Hmmm. That looks familiar! Turns out that I bought the bike that member "djinbd" owned. He only had 9 posts here, none all that recent, but that is the bike and the profile of "djinbd" matches the the location of the person on the oil filter reciept I have with the papers that came with the bike.

How is that for coincidence?

Doc
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:18 am Reply with quote

Congrats and enjoy your new ride Adventure rider Smile

The world is indeed small Very Happy

Regards,

Doc

Adventure Rider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:49 am Reply with quote

Doc wrote:

Thanks Doc - I think I will enjoy it, although it will probably put my license in danger if I am not very careful. Already I had some untoward attention from the local law enforcement while I was test riding it - but he just missed me doubling the speed limit by about 60 seconds.

So far I really like the bike. I have noticed the front end shuddering while breaking hard at certain speeds (about 30-40 MPH) but nothing uncontrollable and it only does it at that speed not higher.

I did notice that the bike isn't too happy below 4K RPM, especially below 3K RPM. I am used the the torquey response of the Airhead GS, but I will get used to it. I am not sure what the previous owner did to the bike beyond what is visible (Remus cans) but it is peppy. I believe it has the stock sprockets so I think I am going to drop the front a tooth as I find myself lugging the engine and wishing for a lower first gear. I do love the way the bike takes off, but I usually don't get out of second gear most of the time in town and on the backroads rarely third. On the highway I shift back and forth between fourth and fifth to keep it happy (about 5-6K RPM seems to be the sweet spot for vibration and accessibility to more power) - I never see sixth during that time.

Of course I have only had the bike one day and ridden it about 100 miles so I have some more to learn, but that is my feeling of it at this point - besides, it will probably much easier and cheaper to change gearing back and forth with sprockets than it is with a driveline on the Beemer.

I have also noticed that the speedo is quite optimistic (5-10 MPH at 70 MPH) - so I will be looking for some way to adjust that.
lotus54
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:15 am Reply with quote

That bike looks pretty nice. How loud is it?

If you get over on the Peninsula, be sure to let me know. I can show you some of the backroads around Port Angeles I especially like.

Mark
2005 'S'

Adventure Rider wrote:
Doc wrote:

Thanks Doc - I think I will enjoy it, although it will probably put my license in danger if I am not very careful. Already I had some untoward attention from the local law enforcement while I was test riding it - but he just missed me doubling the speed limit by about 60 seconds.
Adventure Rider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:38 am Reply with quote

lotus54 wrote:
That bike looks pretty nice. How loud is it?

If you get over on the Peninsula, be sure to let me know. I can show you some of the backroads around Port Angeles I especially like.
Not too loud, but loud enough for people to notice (usually approvingly) and for it to sound like a Ducati ought to sound - but then that is all personal taste I guess. For some people the sound of a really loud Harley does it for them, but not me - I prefer the sound to be more smooth (and I have heard HDs that were more smooth, had a nice throaty sound, but weren't too loud).

I try to be a halfway decent citizen and not make too much noise all the time, keeping the RPMs and throttle down when going by people if I can - but I do love the sound of the bike when getting on it and backing off. I have noticed a difference in sound between backing off with the throttle somewhat closed and fully closed, the latter sounds better.

I don't know yet if the cans have the restrictor removed, but I am guessing from the sound and the look that they do.

I also noticed that the transition when using engine compression to decelerate is more abrupt than any bike I have ever ridden - but then most bikes I have ridden weren't quite as sporty as this one.

I am thinking about getting over to the Peninsula sometime this summer. I have a friend over there who just sold his boatyard/shop and who sponsors a GS ride about once a year - it would be nice to try out the MTS on some of those roads.
djinbd
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:08 am Reply with quote

Hey nice bike I miss it. To bad, my need for speed got the best of me.
Adventure Rider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:02 pm Reply with quote

djinbd wrote:
Hey nice bike I miss it. To bad, my need for speed got the best of me.
Thanks for the PM. Been busy on multiple fronts - gonna sell the Beemer, looking for a new place to live, and trying to get the best deal on insurance for the MTS.

I like speed too, but I can't fit on any of the really fast bikes - this should be plenty fast for me for a while.