Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Serious "Jones" for a Multi
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Crowdog
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:19 am Reply with quote

Hi all! I'm a 56 year old with the kids grown, I started riding again about a year ago. I have a 2003 Triumph Speedmaster, but have to admit I have a serious "Jones" for a Multi. Started riding in the 60's on a Yamaha 80 to a Honda 160 to a Honda 305 Super Hawk to a Matchless to a Triumph to a Harley...I'm sure you get the point..bigger, bigger, bigger. My Speed-master at 790cc is a step down in displacement from what I was riding before I quit when the kids were born. I really don't want to "break the bank" on a new bike so my first question is: the 620 Multi is due in the States in a couple of weeks..at 6' and 220 lbs do you think I would be satisfied or do I need to "bite the bullet" and just go into debt and buy a 1000? Second question: my local dealer has a red '04 DS and an '05 S DS. if I go for the 1000, buy the discounted '04 or say "what the hell" and buy the '05 BLACK (oh ya!) Ohlins equiped bike?

Thanks for any imput.

Crow
ewitte
MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:45 am Reply with quote

Hi Crowdog,

First, welcome to the club and congrats to your choice. Clap
If you ask me by the 1000DS and not the 620, the 620 is a super bike and there is nothing wrong with it but with your experience you might wanna buy the 1000 instead Wink . I believe that if you're broken in again you will love the 1000. Think
About what bike to buy........... Whistle I have to say stay with the 1000DS.
If you are going to put in a lot of circuit days than you might by the 1000S DS, but for the usual riding, carousing, sporty riding, etc... you will not need all the Ohlins stuff. The normal 1000DS will do it all for you Mr. Green

Have fun with the choice you make and let us know.....
Wink

2001 - Yamaha, R6
1999 - Ducati, 748
1998 - Kawasaki, ZX6R
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger Top
fmechini
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:41 am Reply with quote

For your size you may find the 620 light on power. The difference between 1000 DS and 1000S DS are the components. Engine is the same.
I have bee told that if you buy the components separately you will spend more.

In any case you will need a rear hugger, a fender extension and the removal of the ugly carbon canister ... cat-bypass is also good.

Fred

2005 Red Ducati Multistrada "la signorina"
2003 Blue Suzuki DR650 "il muletto"
kneepuck
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:47 pm Reply with quote

I agree that given your 'presence' (220 lbs) the 1000 makes more sense. And at 6' the 620 is much lower. I was making the same choice on the '04 verses '05 S. I went with the '04. My reasoning is that the are a lot of suspension guru's out there that can tune that showa stuff if you are riding agressive enough to need it. And you will save a bundle over the ohlins. I was able to get a good reduction in price for the hold-over model.

good luck with your choice!

MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:09 pm Reply with quote

Hey, 'dog:

I recently sold a Monster 620 and bought a gently-used Multistrada 1000DS. At 5'10" and 190lbs. I find the 1000DS to be just right. Don't get me wrong, the 620 was a great bike, and lots of fun, but the greater power of the MTS 1000 really makes a difference, and has expanded my riding options from shorter local jaunts solo, to longer trips, two-up, if desired.

I'm an "older" rider, too, 60 years old, who like you recently returned to riding; so, unless you're wanting to really push the limits of the envelope, the 1000DS, not the S, might suit you fine. And you can probably find one, used or a holdover, for not much more than a new MTS 620.

Whatever you decide, all the best, and enjoy!

'03 Giallo Multistrada 1000DS
iamz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:03 pm Reply with quote

On a pure numbers argument, I'm guessing the 620 puts out roughly the same horsepower and torque as your Triumph, but more importantly, weighs at least 100 lbs less. So, you might be very pleased with 620's performance based on those numbers. My 2 cents isn't worth much though since I've ridden none of the bikes were talking about.
Crowdog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:07 pm Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for their imput. Smile I have a lead on an 04 ds with about 3500 miles on it for what appears to be a decent price. Will let ya know. Thanks again Very Happy
greenmanstunnel
MTS: 2006 620 Dark

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:56 am Reply with quote

It is my understanding that the ergonomics of the 620 and 1000 are exactly the same, so either one should fit just the same. If engine power is important to you, I guess go for the 1,000. I don't thrash on bikes, and prefer lighter weight (not to mention cost!) so I ordered the 620.
Rocker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:24 pm Reply with quote

greenmanstunnel wrote:
It is my understanding that the ergonomics of the 620 and 1000 are exactly the same, so either one should fit just the same. If engine power is important to you, I guess go for the 1,000. I don't thrash on bikes, and prefer lighter weight (not to mention cost!) so I ordered the 620.

In fact the seat is lower on the 620

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:24 pm Reply with quote

has been raining here so i have not had a chance to ride the 04 1000 yet Sad looks like the weather will break so i should be able to tomorrow. i'm still kinda wondering if an old man like me would not be just as happy with 30 less pounds and the lower seat height of the 620. great isn't it?....hmmmmm...do i want a 1000 or a 620....hmmmmm....620 or a 1000.... Laughing
doctor bob
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:50 am Reply with quote

Yeah, these hard decisions! Think

'03 Giallo Multistrada 1000DS
Crowdog

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 11:52 am Reply with quote

Got a chance to ride the red 04 MTS yesterday even though conditions were less than optimal. Cold, damp and overcast (I'm sure the UK guys can relate Smile ) First part of ride was fairly straight with some gentle curves just warming up the bike. First impression was quick, light and nimble with great exceleration. Moved into some soft twisties and the bike was a joy to corner, simply went where I was looking. Final part of ride was a quick highway ride where I took the bike to about 90 mph to see how stable it felt. Interesting part of the highway ride was when I slowed back to 70 mph (legal speed) I dropped back down to 5th gear where on my Speedmaster at 70 mph I am always looking for a 6th gear which is not there Laughing I have a 17" windshield on my Speedmaster so I wear a HJC half helmet with an aftermarket faceshield comfortably, that helmet did not work on the MTS at all! Way too much wind buffeting (and noise) even with the comfort screen installed on the bike. I will have to buy a full face helmet (I know I should ride with one anyway) if I buy the bike. Riding position was comfortable for the time I was on the bike but that is probably my main concern with purchasing the Multi, I am really used to the feet forward riding position of a cruiser and am wondering about longer rides with the upright body/feet slightly aft riding position. My guess is I will adjust in a short time but any imput from riders who have moved from cruiser to MTS would be greatly appreciated. I took my Speedmaster out for a ride when I got back home and must admit I do like it although it felt slow and a bit "slug like" after the MTS. I spoke with my son about the bike (he is 23, college senior) and he said "don't be a "insert rude word here", pull the trigger Pop and buy the bike" Laughing
I can see where the "grin factor" statements come from...the bike really did take me back to the feel of my early riding years....like I said "quick, light and nimble."

Crow
greenmanstunnel
MTS: 2006 620 Dark

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:51 pm Reply with quote

Crowdog, I went from the cruiser riding position to a MTS-type riding position on my BMW and, more recently, my KLR650, and I won't go back. The cruiser is much less comfy for long distances because all you weight's directly on your butt, and you can't stand up at all on the pegs. Plus steering is so much more difficult on the cruiser because of decreased leverage.
Doc
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:23 am Reply with quote

greenmanstunnel wrote:
Crowdog, I went from the cruiser riding position to a MTS-type riding position on my BMW and, more recently, my KLR650, and I won't go back. The cruiser is much less comfy for long distances because all you weight's directly on your butt, and you can't stand up at all on the pegs. Plus steering is so much more difficult on the cruiser because of decreased leverage.

Doctor's confirmation on this too Laughing

Doc

Crowdog

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 11:57 pm Reply with quote

Update: have not bought a MTS yet..real word struck, 2300 bucks for my daughter's summer class at the University of Alabama Shocked Gotta do it though, its my "job" as her dad (lucky me Smile, and I mean that, she's great ) Nashville Ducati has just received its first 620 (dark) and I will check it out tomorrow. I do think I will prefer the 1000 over the 620 due to my "presence" (Kneepuck, I call it lardass Laughing ) Still riding the Triumph almost every day, but there really is something about the MTS that the "Jones" just won't go away Laughing

Crow

ps: all fathers out there will understand the daughter over the bike thing, since I do at least have a bike Smile