Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Multi 620 or Multi 1000DS ?????
Goto page 1, 2  Next
carlosMULTI
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:02 am Reply with quote

Hi all
I am engaged in a "difficult decission", let me explain...
I am a happy Ducati S4R owner; and the story is:

I have both an S4R for my personal use and a Harley Davidson Fat Boy which I share with my girldfriend for travelling together.
I was considering selling the HD and buy the Multi so I could give a wider usage (never getting rid of the S4R) the multi would be used for travelling around with my girldfriend installing the side cases kit. It could be a short of replacing the Harley Davidson, we could do the same travelling together but more confortable and with more security.... my girldfriend does not like speed or turns at all (that is why I want to keep my S4R for myself..)
The problem is, would the MTS 620 be enought or MTS1000DS would be better??...(everyone could say the MTS1000DS is better...we know that!!), but considering the usage we are going to give it, my concern is that maybe the 620 would provide the same satisfactions and at a lower cost. I like the MTS1000DS swing arm, suspensions and brakes.....but, using this bike more as a "touring bike" and very little usage as "racing bike" for turns and so on....would it be worthy??

....most of my friends tell me that I am complicating myslef very much with this issue, but when you are involved in a matter like this, you donĀ“t want to choose wrong...

I would like to read MTS owners with similar situations to help me to make my decission. I have mada a ride test with the MTS620 and maybe because I am used to S4R braking systems, the MTS620 does not give me such a feeling of powerfull brakes (I know it is a 620 but..). I do not know, I am doubting....so any help would be appreciatted.

CarlosMULTI
clockwork orange
MTS: 2005 620 (Orange)

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:06 pm Reply with quote

The brakes on the 620 are nothing like as good as on the 1000. However, they do take a couple of hundred miles to bed in properly, and I certainly don't have any problem with mine. 2-up, I'd think about uprating the 2-pot jobs to Gold 4-pot, or buy the 1000.
Joe Lohr
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:36 am Reply with quote

If your gonna ride 2 up, get the 1000.

Doc
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 3:29 pm Reply with quote

Joe Lohr wrote:
If your gonna ride 2 up, get the 1000.

Yeap, if 2-up most of the time and additional bags etc, get the 1000.

Doc

Alaskan

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:06 pm Reply with quote

I am following this thread closely. Like CarlosMULTI, I am thinking about a new Multistrada but I do not want to make an expensive mistake - either buying more bike than I want or less bike than I need. Everything I have read indicates that two-up riding with bags is too big a job for the 620. The disappointment might be more profound if Carlos jumps from his Monster to the 620 Multistrada - and a big part of the equation is having fun, right?

How about solo touring on a 620 with bags, though? I am not a big man - 5'10" and 150 pounds - and the 620's lower standover height and price sound good to me.
broomhilda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:26 pm Reply with quote

1000 or 620 ?

Had a chat at my local dealer today on this topic.

They said I should consider the 1000 because ;

1. I will be riding over 6,000 feet elevation

2. I am used to the power and suspension of my ST2

3. I can afford it.

Still, I am not going to rush out and buy. I hope to demo ride both bikes.

I will not be riding 2up but will occasionally have luggage. ;

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:22 pm Reply with quote

Go for the 1000. I ride a lot of two and it rides very very easily. You cant even tell someone is behind you. You will need the power, compared to the 620.

Yamaha Virago 250 ('03) (cherry popper)
kneepuck
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:41 pm Reply with quote

carlosMULTI wrote:
Hi all
I was considering selling the HD and buy the Multi so I could give a wider usage (never getting rid of the S4R) the multi would be used for travelling around with my girldfriend installing the side cases kit. .... my girldfriend does not like speed or turns at all

CarlosMULTI

I would keep the HD then! The Multistrada loves curves!! In fact it kind of has a guidance system that automatically seeks out tight twisty roads. Better be safe and keep the RoadKing!

MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:28 am Reply with quote

Quote:
How about solo touring on a 620 with bags, though? I am not a big man - 5'10" and 150 pounds - and the 620's lower standover height and price sound good to me.

Alaskan...I'm 5'6" and 165 and I have zero problems with the height of the 1000 so I don't think you will either. Decide on price if it's an issue, but I think you'll be more comfortable on the 1000.

Kneepuck is right! The MTS shiffs out curves and attacks them with little effort...boy it's fun when it does that! Laughing

Carlos...what ended up being the result?

www.OnAnyMoto.com
jrodriguezmd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:25 pm Reply with quote

620 MTS has been great for this 52 yo, 5'6'' 165lb weekend rider. I am in love again with riding. I have had a Harley since college days, and recently bought a 999s for the handling, braking, power and all of the excitment of a track day.
My new 620 MTS and I traveled 700 miles for my Laguna Seca weekend and had a blast. Soft Tourmaster panniers with a pack pack, tie downs was all I needed for this little pack mule.
I feel sorry for my Springer HD that is standing lonely in the garage and no one to ride her.
Thank you Ducati for making a little touring on the 620 MTS so much fun in the Golden State. JR
Rocker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:47 am Reply with quote

jrodriguezmd wrote:
I feel sorry for my Springer HD that is standing lonely in the garage and no one to ride her.
Thank you Ducati for making a little touring on the 620 MTS so much fun in the Golden State. JR

Just send her on a vacation to the UK. I will give her free accomodation and promise to take her out on regular trips Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:16 pm Reply with quote

Alaskan wrote:
I have the 1000 and love it. However I have test ridden the 620 and I could easily use the 620 as a solo touring bike with bags.

Sheeny
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:13 pm Reply with quote

The 1000 seems to be the popular choice! It's the one I've chosen and I don't regret it for a minute. I had considered the 620, but the extra power and torque on the 1000 makes it an even more capable all rounder.

Sheeny
Jinsai
MTS: 2005 620 Dark (Flat black)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:14 pm Reply with quote

I am 5'10", 180 lbs. I have been riding for 5 years. I could afford either bike.

I chose the 620. Why?

* 620 gets 50+ mpg. I can't justify buying a new bike (especially $11K+) that gets worse gas mileage than my car

* 620 is plenty powerful enough for me. Realistically, I'm not going to take it racing, nor am I going to load it up with so much gear that I'd feel bogged down (my wife has 3 bikes, so no pillion on tours for me)

* 620 is lighter and lower

* 620 is substantially less expensive (just because I can afford a more expensive bike doesn't mean I don't want to save money!)

The most difficult thing for me was "giving up" the single-sided swingarm. I really like the way single-sided bikes look, plus the tire-changing and other maintenance is much simpler.

I think it depends on what kind of a rider you think you are. I commute on my bike. Another reason I ride is to help reduce environmental impact (i.e. instead of driving a car) - so gas mileage is more important to me than massive horsepower.
wayward

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:25 pm Reply with quote

carlosMULTI wrote:
I was considering selling the HD and buy the Multi so I could give a wider usage (never getting rid of the S4R) the multi would be used for travelling around with my girldfriend installing the side cases kit. It could be a short of replacing the Harley Davidson, we could do the same travelling together but more confortable and with more security....
Just something to throw out there. For a little more than the cost of a 1000DS, you can get two 620's. What about buying a pair of 620's and teaching your girlfriend how to ride? Just a thought, I don't know if she is the type that would want to ride on her own.