Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Anyone go from a Monster to Multi? (or have both?)
rmm
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:36 pm Reply with quote

Hi all...

Curious if anyone went from a Monster to a Multi and can give their thoughts? Kindly refrain from flaming (like the time I asked if anyone wanted to trade...) just curious what was better and what was worse. I'm riding a S2R 800 which I absolutely love... for about 140 miles. Past that the wind / bent knees / rear get kinda painful. But since most of my trips are 10-120 miles (new haven to NYC, new haven to Lincoln, mass), and I do a decent amount of city riding... I'm wondering if the switch is worth it? Of course getting a multi may inspire me to do a bit more touring...

Also wondering about maneuverability. I know the multi compares well to G/S beemers, but I'm wondering how much less movable (in urban and stop/go setting) it is than a monster... which is fantastically light and low. I'm 5'8".

Thanks for your opinions.
lotus54
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:59 pm Reply with quote

First of all, I've never ridden a Monster, just sat on them.

The height may be your biggest problem. The Multi is taller than the Monster. The 620 Multi is lower and a few people have lowered the 1000/1100.

The Multi feels very light, especially with no luggage etc. For that reason I now go light when packing for trips and only use a tank bag and small rear seat bag. Others don't seem to notice the panniers when riding at all. (might be mostly mental for me, who knows?)

The engine will feel very similar, I imagine a bit more poop with the larger engine. I don't think it is all that much heavier- but I'd have to check specs.
They are very comfy for long rides yet still great for 'around town'.
I'm going to guess it will feel much better for you on the long trips but the around town stuff won't be as good- mostly because of the taller seat.

Again, I've never ridden a Monster so my opinion may not be worth very much.

Go ride one, especially around town and see if it calling your name. If you don't particularly like it, then some mods to your Monster may be the way to go (or check out a lowered Multi).

Mark

Beta XTrainer 300
racersdad
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:05 pm Reply with quote

rmm
i have a 2000monster 900it steers quicker very light and seat is low (I'm 5-7)and stand over flat footed.I find on longer rides back and shoulders hurt. I also have a 04 MTS1000 that is lowered handles twisties very well but is very comfortable at higher speeds. No back pain. A month ago I purcased a 620 this is a keeper for me does everything well. As Lotus said lacks a little on top end. It cruises well at 70-75 on the highway. suspension is not as good as the 1000/1100 but I am working on that. I notice you live in CT. pm me if you would like to test ride (not test flog)one. hope this helps
sal

2004ZRX
2004 1000ds
2006 620
Q
MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:12 pm Reply with quote

I have both a 2000 Monster 900Sie and a 2006 MTS 1000DS. My first Duc was an Monster 800Sie. I've enjoyed all three, but:

The MTS is the easiest bike to do almost everything with, day in and day out. I've owned it since new. I recently put some hard panniers on it, and use it for commuting to work. Because of the riding position, it's just plain easy to ride. I love it.

The M900Sie is really fun. It's light, agile, simple, also easy to ride...but, maybe for shorter distances. It has a certain raw felling that I kind'a enjoy. While the fully adjustable stock suspension (Showa forks/Ohlins shock) is very good, the MTS suspension may be better suited for my (admittedly easy) riding style.

Your S2R probably suffers from one of the things that started to bother me on my M800Sie. That was the lack of good, adjustable suspension. If you like your S2R, and I fully understand why you would, then you might consider upgrading the forks and rear shock. They can be pricey pieces, but it really improves the bike's character. I replaced the forks on my M800Sie with some fully adjustable Showas from an S4R...big improvement.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Q on Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total

2005 ST4s (gone)
2004 749s Track Bike (gone)
2010 Streetfighter F1098S (gone)
2000 Monster 900Sie (gone)
2006 MTS 1000DS (gone)
2003 Monster 800Sie (gone)
rmm

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:27 pm Reply with quote

Q wrote:

Your S2R probably suffers from one of the things that started to bother me on my M800Sie. That was the lack of good, adjustable suspension. If you like your S2R, and I fully understand why you would, then you might consider upgrading the forks and rear shock. They can be pricey pieces, but it really improves the bike's character. I replaced the forks on my M800Sie with some fully adjustable Showas from an S4R...big improvement.

Thanks to everyone for their comments. To change the topic slightly (but still relevant because i've been considering the merits of the Multi S vs non-S)... can you describe what you perceived to be lacking with the non-adjustable monster suspension? I've been riding on and off for 6 years, but still don't know if I can quantify or describe a good suspension. I have a good sense of how a bike turns in and how the suspension deals with bumps when going in a straight line.... but what did the Showa S4R suspension do for you?

(and was it a bolt on direct swap?).

Thanks!
Q

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 pm Reply with quote

rmm wrote:
Q wrote:

Thanks to everyone for their comments. To change the topic slightly (but still relevant because i've been considering the merits of the Multi S vs non-S)... can you describe what you perceived to be lacking with the non-adjustable monster suspension? I've been riding on and off for 6 years, but still don't know if I can quantify or describe a good suspension. I have a good sense of how a bike turns in and how the suspension deals with bumps when going in a straight line.... but what did the Showa S4R suspension do for you?

(and was it a bolt on direct swap?).

Thanks!

For me, it was about harshness and control. The non-adjustable suspension on my M800Sie always felt harsh. On a rough surface it felt like it was hooping from one bump to the next. I didn't realize the difference until I test road a couple of other Ducati models that had better suspension, both Showas and Ohlins. With the better quality, fully adjustable suspension, I've found that I can set up the bike to give a pretty plush ride without sacrificing cornering control or high speed stability. In fact, both cornering control and stability are better because the wheels stay in contact with the ground over bumps vs hooping around. It also seems that Ducati tends to deliver their bikes with the compression and rebound dampening set a little firm. My non-adjustable forks and shock on the M800 were quite (very) firm. The current settings on both my Monster and Multistrada are way softer than how they were delivered, and way softer than would be optimal on a track bike. But, my bikes are not ridden on the track...they're ridden on public roads and highways that are less than perfect. And keep in mind, I'm no Valentino Rossi...nor do I want to be. If I'm riding near any limit, it's only because I've made a mistake. BTW, I weigh 195 lbs with gear on.

I would suggest test riding a couple of high end Ducati models (I'm talking about motorcycles here Smile ) with really good suspension. Do it on a variety of roads, paying close attention to the "feel" of the feedback the suspension is or isn't giving you. While others with greater speed and talent will rightly tell you that the Ohlins are way better, it's been my experience that my riding style is not as demanding, and as a such, the Showas seem more than adequate. That being said, when I have the MTS (Showas) forks serviced this winter, I plan on having the Ohlins RT inards installed. More because I can vs that they need it.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Rich

Last edited by Q on Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total

2005 ST4s (gone)
2006 MTS 1000DS (gone)
rmm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:13 am Reply with quote

Thanks - great advice. I certainly find that ive learned most about bikes from riding different ones. I used to have a '99 Monster M750, and after riding my friends '09 696 I was shocked/outraged at how much more precise the throttle and turn-in were. Less than month later I had a S2R.
Q

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:26 am Reply with quote

Oh, and sorry I didn't answer your question about the S4R forks. Yes they were a direct bolt in replacement on my Monster 800. No mods necessary. I paid around $500 for them (used, low miles), if remember correctly.

2005 ST4s (gone)
2006 MTS 1000DS (gone)
sailwa66
MTS: 2004 1000 DS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:13 am Reply with quote

Went from a M900 to the Multi.

Put over 20k on the Monster, including several longish trips (1500 miles +/-). Other than cramped legs, never had a problem, and to this day its stock seat remains the best seat for my arse... ever.

Wasn't even looking at a Multi when a Duc shop owner/friend pretty much forced me to take his demo out for the day. Bought it. Bastard. Mr. Green

The motor had the snap the Monster was missing, the FI was better, the suspension was better, the riding position was enduro-perfect, and most of all, the bike roosted down dirt roads... opening up all kinds of new places to explore.

The missus now has a M750, and while it's a hoot to ride, I rarely do.

I've put over 40k on my Multi, and given the asinine direction that Ducati is going with its replacement (less capable, more complex, more expensive, etc), am going to have it for a VERY long time.

Ducati Multistrada Adventure/Off-Road Gear: www.strada-avventurosa.com
potomacduc
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:53 pm Reply with quote

I put about 18,000 miles on a '99 M750 before buying a Multistrada. I greatly enjoyed my Monster. I found it plenty comfortable for 300+ mile days on backroads, but it did have its drawbacks for weekend touring. The lack of wind protection was bothersome at sustained speeds of 75+mph. As I don't do a lot of freeway miles this was a small issue, but notable. I got tired of having to stuff everything in a tailbag for weekend trips. The final issue was the desire for a little more power. I test rode an MTS 1000S DS in 2005 and that convinced me. The wind protection from the stock '04 screen is not great, but it adds ~15 mph versus my Monster, e.g. 75 on the MTS feels like a comfortable 60 on the Monster. Taller screens can provide even more protection. I really enjoy the option of hardbags. I only use the bags for weekend trips (I use a tail bag other times) a few times per year, but I appreciate the extra capacity. As for comfort, I had a Corbin on my Monster and the DP Comfort Seat on my Multi. Both bikes are comfortable for ~150 miles at a stretch (which is when I usually stop for gas) and 3-400 miles in a day is pretty easy on either. I do find that I am a bit less fatigued after longer days on the Multi than I was on Monster. My guess is that this is mostly due to the improved wind protection.

I did have a bit of a transition period when switching. For me, the Monster riding position worked best with a hybrid riding style that was part sit-up dirtbike and part sportbike crouch with a fair amount of body English by gripping the tank with the knees. The more upright position and wider bar on the Multi is pure dirtbike. I actually found the stock bars gave me too much leverage and I was over-steering. A switch to lower, narrower and slightly more pulled back bars solved that problem. I also switched to HM footpegs which have made it easier for me to weight the pegs when needed. In the end, I am happy with the switch. I had both bikes for a while. I had told my wife I would sell one, but took my time doing it. When I found I wasn't riding the Monster much, it made it easier for to sell the bike to someone who would.

There is a fly in this ointment. I preferred the Monster for city traffic. I'm 6' tall and can flat foot my Multi, but I still found the Monster easier to manage in slow-moving traffic. The MTS1000 is 40-50#s heavier than the M750 and it carries its weight higher. The MTS is not a difficult bike to handle in traffic, but the M750 almost felt like a bicycle. I can imagine this contrast would be even more stark for someone shorter than I am.

Like others have said, do some more testing of the MTS. Maybe the advantages gained elsewhere will more than make up for a little more work in traffic.
mandrbarrett
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:01 pm Reply with quote

I recently had an S4r for a bit. Didn't like it at all. Very fast & great handling, but I didn't look forward to riding it, so it had to go.

I bought it because I regarded it as a different take on the ST4s but in reality it was just too similar and all the differences were negative ones (no weather protection for me or the bike).

I shan't be getting another. The Multi on the other hand will be staying - at least till Strata Apertas start appearing on the secondhand market.....
Dave36
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:57 pm Reply with quote

I had an S4RS for a couple of years before my multi and would never go back - except for that motor. Giving away around thirty odd HP was hard to take. The multi simply suits my prefered style of riding these days in so much as gives me the freedom of blasting along dirt roads in between the tar. Makes weekend rides away far more interesting.
Plus, I grew up on dirtbikes and the ride position just 'fits' better.
The multi might not be a 'better' bike, if there is such a thing, but for me its a more capable 'allrounder' than the monster.

BTW, I'm 5'8" also, and unless you weigh around 250 lbs, forget about flat footing the multi - if that kind of bullshit bothers you that is. But on the flipside, you will enjoy the commanding view of the going's on about you, quite handy in a world of in-attentive cage drivers / pedestrians with i pods and phones permanently attached to their skulls..
ken w
MTS: 2009 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:48 pm Reply with quote

I traded my '02 S4 monster for an '09 1100s Multi. I've found the Multi easier to ride on short hops and in town & a lot better with 2 up. I'll probably honk off some monster riders with this statement, but I just didn't bond with the S4. I,m 5'10' and one up I have to 'tippy toe' at a stop with one up, yes the ride height in almost all the way down. So sit on one and check the saddle height. I don't know the HP to weight on your monster but the multi will haul pretty well. The only complaint I have with the Multi is the windscreen is too short and the mirrors are 'fun house' stuff above 65mph, but those problems are in the works $.the Multi is different, the suspension is fantastic the ride is comfortable no stiff necks or cramped forearms, being a light bike crosswinds can be fun. The engine pulls like any 'Duc'. This is really almost an apples to oranges comparision. I also have an ST4s with the 996 I would not care to compare the multi to her. I think you will like the Multi.
wennekes
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:18 pm Reply with quote

Ken,
After 5 years driven a monster M600 I got my MTS 1000, low backpain after 50 Km/ 35 miles was one of the resons. Now I drove more than 1000 KM /650 Miles in 5 days on the 1000DS, no pain, no stifness and a big smile on my face. Good luck, Rob