Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: MTS as a touring bike?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Doc
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:09 pm Reply with quote

dryphtr wrote:
Anyone done a couple hundred miles two-up?

I've done 3 or 4 tours two-up with panniers loaded and tank-bag too (both rides were more than 600km long and one was more than 800km). If I had to do it again, I would get the comfort passenger seat (I'm glad she's not reading the forum otherwise I would have to get it asap Embarassed Cool ).

Doc

oliverletz
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:42 pm Reply with quote

I've had my 1000S DS (red) for a month and 1,500 miles now.

I will do about 1,500 miles in 4 days next weekend in Texas and Arkansas. 2-up with the DP top case (trunk) for luggage. We will probably be the only 2-up bike in a group of very spirited sports bike riders (999, 996, ...)

I will let you know how it went.

Peace,
Oliver

Btw, we did a few 200 mile day trips already 2-up and my wife sits better than on the HD Road King that we had before. Me too...
PeteS
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 11:55 pm Reply with quote

falcofred wrote:
I used to have a Honda ST1100, (EDIT). So I found the ST too heavy, and prefer a lighter bike, but still have luggage.

I also sold my ST1100 (Pan European) for the same reason & bought a Multistrada Very Happy
Now I ride the Multi everywhere. Does the Canberra to Phillip Island trip for the Moto GP in a day easy.
It just won sports tourer of the year award (again) in the Australian Motorcycle Magazine.

Cheers from Australia Very Happy
oliverletz
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:52 pm Reply with quote

Just got back from Arkansas.

4 days - 1660 miles all with passenger
Luggage - DP 48l trunk - perfect!

I am worn out from 4 days of hard riding, but the MTS performed flawlessly.

You can view pictures and movies here:
http://www.el8edrecords.com/albums/arkansas2005/

The bike definitely passed the test for mid-range touring.

Cheers,
Oliver

----
2005 Multistrada 1000S DS - RED
laurentius
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 1:11 pm Reply with quote

Two up touring does not work so good - the grab rail bite into your passangers backside is he/she is anything but a 21 year old waif model Wink

Must say that 400km a day trips are doable -just get the DP comfort seat for passanger - this also stops the annoying "riding the tank" situation on braking.

Don't attempt tight corners and panniers and passangers at high speed - you, the panniers and the MTS will make it but due to seating high of passanger and the "over the shoulder" view they suffer from severe stress after two mountain passes - and wipe the grin off your face before you take the helmet off - grinning ear to ear cause you scrapped a knee in a hairpin with passanger and luggage will not make you any friends that night......

L.
Thumpermon
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 5:27 pm Reply with quote

Just got back from a 3 day, 1000 mile scoot around S. PA, WV, and SE Ohio....solo. This bike is a hoot, particularly in this part of the country. Great twisties with great pavement.....but that's another story. This was kind of a test ride to see how the MS compares with my R1150GS, which I usually use for such trips. Although the GS is fun as well in this environment, the MS with its wonderful torque coming out of corners is just amazing. Wind and WX protection may be slightly less, but hey, everything else makes up for it, and if I wanted a whole lot of weather protection, I would have bought a Honda S2000.

In short, I wouldn't hesitate to take some long trips with it. I did put a Sargent seat, which is good, but not great on it. I do think that if I were doing a lot of two-up trips the BMW would get the nod as it does seem more roomy. As it is, my wife rides with me about a hundred miles a year. Tires last longer too on the GS, but one is stuck with the 19 inch front tire!

02 KTM 250 EXC RFS
94 DR350
72 R75/5 and assorded others..yes it's a disease
nickybcareful
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:08 pm Reply with quote

Thumpermon wrote:
Quote:
Just got back from a 3 day, 1000 mile scoot around S. PA, WV, and SE Ohio....solo. This bike is a hoot, particularly in this part of the country. Great twisties with great pavement.....but that's another story.

...any information on this area would be of interest. I’ve been riding in SE Ohio and am planning an extended June trip into WV. I’m thinking about following 219 down the Allegheny Mts. to the New River, then back up through Parkersburg. Very Happy I’ve checked http://www.motorcycleroads.us/ and all these roads look awesome! Smile Smile

�Keep your stick on the ice!�
� Red Green
Cool Person Test