Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: '05 MTS or '05 ST3
AJBard
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:18 am Reply with quote

Greetings,

I'm looking for a bike that is better suited, more functional and more comfortable for long trips than my Guzzi. I recently test rode an '04 MTS with an '05 windshield installed and was still very disappointed with the wind protection (the windblast hit me on the upper chest and seemed to follow a path over my neck and even under my helmet). Other than that I really loved the bike - the motor was fantastic. I'm 6'2".

A friend and even the dealer are making the case for the new ST3 saying that with Heli bars the riding position on the ST3 will be as comfortable as the MTS, and the ST3 is more powerful and at least here in the states is a better financial deal (same base price for both but the ST3 comes with hard bags).

I know this is an MTS site, so I'm prepared for a bit of, er, bias. That said, what are your thoughts? MTS or ST3??

Thanks,

A.J.
lotus54
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:43 pm Reply with quote

For me, I picked the MTS 'S'. I have owned a couple of ST2s and sold my 99 after buying the MTS. Yes, the ST3 has a bit more power than the ST2, but the 99 had better suspension (fully adjustable).
I also had 1" risers on my ST. I still find the MTS WAY more comfy than the ST. I'm 5' 10", so perhap that make a big difference in wind protection, but I thought it was very similar to the ST. The ST covers the lower legs better, but with handgards on the MTS I didn't see much other difference. I get hit in the helmet, same as the ST.

For high speed, I think the ST is a bit better, like over 80mph. Although the MTS is just fine at that speed, I think the ST has an edge at higher speeds. I rarely go over 80mph anymore. Lower speeds the MTS is way better (for me). Much more fun on those really tight back roads, and even 15mph type narrow slow roads.

I haven't done any long distance, but I understand it is quite good at it- after having both the ST and MTS I think it would matter more on the speeds than anything.

You can probably get a discount on the luggage when buying the bike, but be prepared to wait to get it! I've been waiting some 2 months for mine and still nothing in sight. I did recently order a small tail case (Givi 26litre) and the Ducati rack (too expensive). I don't like those huge tail cases, but Bong has one of these on his bike and it looks pretty good.

Can you try and ST3 and see how you like it?
Some certainly feel very comfy on them, I just personally found the MTS to be more comfortable, and just plain more fun.

Mark

AJBard wrote:
Greetings,

I'm looking for a bike that is better suited, more functional and more comfortable for long trips than my Guzzi. I recently test rode an '04 MTS with an '05 windshield installed and was still very disappointed with the wind protection (the windblast hit me on the upper chest and seemed to follow a path over my neck and even under my helmet). Other than that I really loved the bike - the motor was fantastic. I'm 6'2".

A friend and even the dealer are making the case for the new ST3 saying that with Heli bars the riding position on the ST3 will be as comfortable as the MTS, and the ST3 is more powerful and at least here in the states is a better financial deal (same base price for both but the ST3 comes with hard bags).

I know this is an MTS site, so I'm prepared for a bit of, er, bias. That said, what are your thoughts? MTS or ST3??

Thanks,

A.J.
overipe+keen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:32 pm Reply with quote

I recently rode an ST3 (great bike & engine) when my MS was being checked. I'm 6'0' and although the bars can have risers dont forget the footrests are much more sporty on the ST. I agree that there is much more protection at high speeds on the ST. I guess it depends on what you mainly will be doing with the bike, touring or more recreational riding. Test ride both! Your call. Think

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:20 am Reply with quote

AJ I own and ride a 2004 ST3 almosr every day. It's a great bike. chose it over the Multistrada based on riding position, engine, looks and felt I got more for my money, with the full body, luggage and adjustable exhaust pipes. Stock it puts out 102 hp at rear wheel and comes with the removable, lockable Nonfango side panniers (luggage). I've put a lot of carbon fiber on it, both fenders, clutch cover, sprocket cover and side panel air vents are on order. It has much more power now and is more comfortable in the seat and reach to bars. You can't use Heli Bars on the '04-'05 ST handlebars. They are now made so that they wrap around the fork under the top triple tree. You can loosen them and slide them up or down the fork leg to change the reach and riding position from upright to crouch. I prefer them up, you're not sitting completly upright but it's not 996 like backbreaker either. It's comfortable when you ride it. than the Multi. Also, had installed a Termignoni carbon fiber cans, complete exhaust, with open air box, washable DP high flow air filter and Ducati Performance recalibrated Eprom. Pulled off the California emissions hoses and crap and a K&N filter breather on the crancase to keep the oil blowby from going back into my clean air airbox. The bike is loud, pulls like a train and gets lots of looks. The bike flies now, easily added 10-12 HP. The 3 valve head gives more low and mid range pull than the ST4 and for LESS $$$. Get a good alarm system, like a Scorpio SRi500.
malakai
MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:01 pm Reply with quote

lotus54 wrote:
I've been waiting some 2 months for mine and still nothing in sight.

I've been waiting for my panniers for 7 months now. My dealer told me that the supplier went out of business (Aug '04) and some time is needed for the new supplier to pickup where the old one left. So the earliest would be mid-June for those lucky few at the top of the waitnig list. I'm not holding my breath as I probably won't be seeing my order completed until the end of this riding season. Sad

So now I got to find a way to rig my old JoeRocket saddle bags to the multi. I may have to resort to making a frame for it even if it's made out of wood. I need it before my vacaction in mid-June.
lotus54

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:11 pm Reply with quote

I gave up and bought some grey ones instead. These are avaliable here in the States. I understand the colour panel pops off and I'm planning on repainting the coloured portion.
If I was ambitious, I'd make a mold and build some carbon fibre ones...but probably will never get around to it.

Mark

malakai wrote:
lotus54 wrote:
I've been waiting some 2 months for mine and still nothing in sight.

I've been waiting for my panniers for 7 months now. My dealer told me that the supplier went out of business (Aug '04) and some time is needed for the new supplier to pickup where the old one left. So the earliest would be mid-June for those lucky few at the top of the waitnig list. I'm not holding my breath as I probably won't be seeing my order completed until the end of this riding season. Sad

So now I got to find a way to rig my old JoeRocket saddle bags to the multi. I may have to resort to making a frame for it even if it's made out of wood. I need it before my vacaction in mid-June.
Doc
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:25 pm Reply with quote

lotus54 wrote:
I'd make a mold and build some carbon fibre ones...but probably will never get around to it.

That's the spirit Smile

Doc

pdiehl

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:46 am Reply with quote

AJ - I too am trying to make just this choice between ST3 and Multistrada. I had never considered a Ducati until recently when I sat on the MTS and surprisingly found I could sit more or less upright--which is important for long trips, which I take. I read a review of the ST3 on Motorcycle Consumer News and it rated the ST3 very highly. I gather from others comments on the sight that the ST3 has a more forward leaning position for the rider. I am going to ask the dealer concerning those Heli bars--to see whether the handle bars can be raised.
fmechini

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:25 am Reply with quote

I was undecided between ST3 and MTS

I choose the MTS beacause:

1- air cooled engine
2- better lower speed pull
3- better handling (almost knee-gragging bike)
4- design

The ST3 is superior on

1- engine power
2- high speed 80mph+ travel, you can fall asleep on the ST3, on the multi you gotta hang in there ...
3- quite clutch (but is that a Ducati Very Happy )

Fred

2005 Red Ducati Multistrada "la signorina"
2003 Blue Suzuki DR650 "il muletto"
fmechini

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:25 am Reply with quote

fmechini wrote:
I was undecided between ST3 and MTS

I choose the MTS beacause:

1- air cooled engine
2- better lower speed pull
3- better handling (almost knee-gragging bike)
4- design

The ST3 is superior on

1- engine power
2- high speed 80mph+ travel, you can fall asleep on the ST3, on the multi you gotta hang in there ...
3- quite clutch (but is that a Ducati Very Happy )

Fred

Did mention that I can NOT spell??? Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

2005 Red Ducati Multistrada "la signorina"
2003 Blue Suzuki DR650 "il muletto"
e.s.hopper

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 5:55 pm Reply with quote

>>>AJ wrote: and the ST3 is more powerful and at least here in the states is a better financial deal (same base price for both but the ST3 comes with hard bags).

AJ! Just did a search on ST3s on cycletrader.com. A dealer in Texas is closing out an '04 for $9500 (+ tax, title, license) with bags. If you can get your local dealer to match the price, personally, I'd go with the ST3.

In addition to the MTS and ST3, my short list includes Triumph's all-new Sprint ST and Aprilia's Futura. The ST3, Sprint ST, and Futura can realistically be had for under US$10K, with hard bags.

Promised mi esposa to wait until January 2006. But man! That ST3 in Texas...
Wolfie1

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:45 pm Reply with quote

I passed on the ST3 for one reason: suspension. The only adjustment on the ST3 forks is preload and the rear shock is a Sachs unit.

The suspension on the MTS1000 (non-S model) has Showa suspension that is fully adjustable, so that was my pick. S model is even better with the bling bling Ohlins forks and shock.

I paid under dealer cost for my multistrada and I've got all my accessories sorted or on the way, so on buying the multi was a no brainer for me.

Regardless, make the decision that's right for you and you'll be happy!

Best,

-Mike