Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Should I buy Multistrada or kawi z1000?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
someone
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 4:13 pm Reply with quote

I traded in my year and a half old multi 1000 last week (with 6 months to go on the warranty) and got a shocking quote of 8500 euros (the bike was bought new for 12900)... that's a loss of almost 33%

hopefully i will not be changing my new bike anytime soon
Rocker

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 4:27 pm Reply with quote

as a matter of interest what did you trade it in against?

MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:05 am Reply with quote

No bike trades in well, It looses 25 to35% approx. as soon as you ride it away from the dealer. Ducati's for the most part, retain value well. Not as good as HD, but about the same as BMW,and better than the japanese bikes. It mostly pertains strictly to used sales. Its not always about which bike is better made, or faster. Its being collectable and cool to have. Same goes for automobiles. Everybody has differant things they look for when buying a motocycle. But I have to say one of my criteria, was does the name look cool on a tee shirt,a ball cap, or a sticker on the back of a car. OK, call me shallow, but thier are only a few monikers with that kind of acclaim and status, and DUCATI is definitely one of them. But ,I tell my friends who are saving up to buy that they Harley have always dreamed of. ( and i'm sure Rocker will agree ). It really doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you just get out and do it. But If you ask me what to by, It might be a Ducati. Wink

Rocker

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 7:04 am Reply with quote

True about the name on the tank being important to many. Last year Ducati won an award for being the most marketable Brand name or something like that anyway. This included every type of product. Not sure whether this years lack of racing success may have affected that.
As to the resale value in the UK a used BMW will hold it's price better than a Ducati especially if it is a GS1150 or G 1200, I am sure the TV sries " The Long Way Round" has much to do with this

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:17 am Reply with quote

Rocker wrote:
as a matter of interest what did you trade it in against?

i am currently grinning from ear to ear on my Duke 990 Wink
Rocker

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:49 am Reply with quote

someone wrote:

i am currently grinning from ear to ear on my Duke 990 Wink

are you going to post a report on your findings about your new ride?

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 3:39 pm Reply with quote

can i do that here?

picked up the bike on saturday and so far i've clocked around 300km...

first impressions: this bike is in a league of it's own, feels about 50 kilos lighter than the multi (almost like my old duke II single) and although i cant push the revs past 5000 till i break in the engine, it's a high revving beast compared to the more civil minded multi

the front brake is phenomenal (only one finger required), clutch pull is lighter than the multi, and the handling is superb... 60 kms into the first ride i rode the rear tyre all the way to the edge (without scraping any unnecessary parts on the tarmac)

the gearbox is silky smooth, although i have missed two or three changes while upshifting, maybe it needs to be broken in a bit more

so far none of the throttle glitches and burps common to a few SD 990s have appeared, although my old ktm mechanic assured me that it's a simple fix if the problem should ever surface

the odd thing about the bike is that despite the lack of wind protection, it's very comfortable to ride at speeds of up to 160-170 km/h, anything past that has to be done while kissing the instrument panel... the seat is very comforting after my original multi seat

my biggest gripe so far is that i can't seem to find an owner's forum as good as the one here Think

how about a "judas" section on this board for all previous owners? Laughing
Rocker

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 3:57 pm Reply with quote

It sounds as though you are really enjoying your new ride. I don't know about others but I'm always interested in hearing people compare other bikes to the MS
Not sure about having a section called the Judas section as I really do not want to read anymore about Sol Cambell Laughing Laughing
Sorry The above is an English football thing

Seriously if anyone does trade their MS for another bike it would be interesting to hear the comparrisons

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:56 pm Reply with quote

Does it have any?, Kawasaki Z1000 might be compared with a MV Brutale?, KTM with a Monster S4R?, MS with BMW GS, but the MS is totally different in my view to the GS, Maybe Ducati really did invent a new type of Superbike with no competitors? I really can't think of another bike that is as light, carries luggage, Tours, Sports looks good, can you?

Joe Lohr
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:29 am Reply with quote

Thats a good piont, and that is another reason I got one.their are alot of great bikes out there. You just have to think it out about what you want in a bike. Everybody has differant needs, and how they use a bike is the main thing. I wanted a comfortible sport tourer with good performance. Naked motored with some degree of wind protection made by a company that I can get into. And so far I have not been disapionted. So ask yourself alot of questions about what you like and how you ride, and it may change in a year or two. The more you ride the more you find out about yourself and what you like. One thing I've noticed on this site is that multistada owners are mostly very experienced riders who love to ride. And the multistada is in a class by itself. No other bike is just like it. Its not the fastest, its not the most comfortible. and it has its flaws. but it does everythig well. and that makes it a great bike. Smile

Rocker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:05 pm Reply with quote

In my opinion there are many great bikes out there and I'm sure and like myself mant riders would love a stable of bikes to cover every mood. I have to admit I would even like a HD in the garage.
Whilst I am more than happy with my MS 99.9% of the time I am not blinkered to the fact that there are other bikes out there and I find it interesting to read of other peoples experiances with them especially if that person also has knowledge of living with a MS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:41 am Reply with quote

I own a 2003 Z1000(orange) and yes it is a nice bike but I am thinking about buying a multistrada 1000.An inline 4 cylinder and a twin are two different worlds.Besides jap bikes are fun to beat the crap out of but a DUCATI well thats Italian craftsmanship.
mj

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:26 am Reply with quote

Buy them BOTH.
When the DUC is being a Ducati you will always have the KAWI to ride
Very Happy

MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:34 pm Reply with quote

someone wrote:
I traded in my year and a half old multi 1000 last week (with 6 months to go on the warranty) and got a shocking quote of 8500 euros (the bike was bought new for 12900)... that's a loss of almost 33%

hopefully i will not be changing my new bike anytime soon

Bike in general do not maintain sale value. Look around ebay. Fred

2005 Red Ducati Multistrada "la signorina"
2003 Blue Suzuki DR650 "il muletto"