Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: 05 DS1000S vs. VFR
Michael Browning
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 5:45 pm Reply with quote

I have an 03 VFR that I am considering trading for a new 1000s Multistrada. I like the VFR, but use it mainly for commuting here in town, and it is not as comfortable as I would like. It also vents heat onto my lower legs, which is not good in traffic. The VFR also lacks "soul", and is almost too perfect.

I have ridden a MTS, and really like it, and think it would be perfect for my daily commute. My only question is heat, it gets pretty hot here and while I don't mind heat at a stoplight, I don't want the bike to vent a bunch on my legs at speed....any advice...
Mike
Tee-Dub
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 6:27 pm Reply with quote

I had a 2003 VFR w/staintune pipes and it sounded awesome. My only gripe was the Vtec, which I hated. The nice thing about the VFR is it always started, idled, and ran perfect, I wouldn't hesitate to take it on a long ride. While it may have lacked soul, it was reliable.

Now, my MTS. It is fun, it gets lots of looks, and it is comfortable. The VFR had much better wind/weather protection though. My MTS does have a lot of soul, so much in fact, this is the 4th time its been in the shop in the last month. That soul is coming at quite a price to my wallet and my sanity. I had an Aprilia before this ducati, and it was bullet proof reliable too. The Multi is probably the easiest bike to ride I've ever had, but unfortunately I've lost faith in it.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 7:26 pm Reply with quote

Tee-Dub wrote:
I had a 2003 VFR w/staintune pipes and it sounded awesome. My only gripe was the Vtec, which I hated. The nice thing about the VFR is it always started, idled, and ran perfect, I wouldn't hesitate to take it on a long ride. While it may have lacked soul, it was reliable.

Now, my MTS. It is fun, it gets lots of looks, and it is comfortable. The VFR had much better wind/weather protection though. My MTS does have a lot of soul, so much in fact, this is the 4th time its been in the shop in the last month. That soul is coming at quite a price to my wallet and my sanity. I had an Aprilia before this ducati, and it was bullet proof reliable too. The Multi is probably the easiest bike to ride I've ever had, but unfortunately I've lost faith in it.

It sounds like you are a victim more of incompetent dealers than the fact that an MTS is inherently "unreliable". I've owned a several Ducatis, and 99% of the time, they're fine until someone who doesn't know what they're doing starts to mess with them. That includes fixing minor repairs.

Re: owning a MTS vs. a VFR: A VFR will last you 200,000 miles or more if you maintain it, probably without any problem. That's what Hondas do. Honda Vee Fours have been great for more than 15 years, but they blew it on the VTEC bike with useless technology. Sell that thing quick because when the new ones come out (2006), no one will want it.

The MTS is the best Ducati I have owned, by far, in terms of build quality and useability, all while having that Italian character. But like anything Italian/mechanical, it requires minding. If you are not ready to stay on top of the bike, keep the Honda.

But if it was me (and I got my "S" 2 weeks ago) I would get the MTS, hands down. It's a do it all bike, worth it's weight in gold.
Tee-Dub

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 8:58 pm Reply with quote

gasgaseffinfast wrote:
It sounds like you are a victim more of incompetent dealers than the fact that an MTS is inherently "unreliable". I've owned a several Ducatis, and 99% of the time, they're fine until someone who doesn't know what they're doing starts to mess with them. That includes fixing minor repairs.

I'm sure you're right, but unfortunately, I have to judge the product as well as the product support, and if I can't trust the dealer where I bought it, then what am I to do? Trailer it the 150 miles to the nearest good dealer? That just doesn't fly with me. I want good local support for something I've spent thousands of dollars on.

MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:54 pm Reply with quote

I keep my bikes (14 so far) in great shape, and do not mind paying for quality work, but I don't want to walk up to it and wonder if it is going to run today. That said, I believe for every 1 person who has a problem with a bike, there are 20 who have no trouble at all. I also believe that bad news travels FAR faster than good.....

Now, I don't have a problem with VTEC, and I also know there are far more people that feel the way I do, than there are people that hate it. It is a perfect example of a great bike being maligned by a few who don't like it and often have never ridden/owned one. I have looked through many of the complaints about the Multi an see that the few that have had problems are far outweighed by the many that have had none.

That being said, lets hear some more comments from you guys, this is a great forum......
Tee-Dub

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:35 am Reply with quote

I guess I'm the minority then. I did own a Vtec VFR, as did a riding buddy of mine. We both sold ours mainly due to the abruptness of the VTEC system, and I've heard from others who hated it too.

Now, if you are just commuting in town, then yes, the Multi will be much better than the VFR. You sit up nice and high, plus the upright riding position is much better to be able to see all around you. The VFR is a better highway machine though.

MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:38 am Reply with quote

It seldom gets very warm here, although it was 90 degrees last friday.
I was on a long ride, with a couple spots doing 25mph.
I noticed no heat from the engine at all.
I did have full leathers on, so it certainly wouldn't be nearly as noticable. Since the engine is so open, I think there would be very minimal localized heat put out.

I've owned a VFR, great bikes but I like the MTS WAY better.
The VFR was older, but similar in age to the 907 Paso I also used to own. The Paso was better in every way - for me.

Mark

Michael Browning wrote:

I have ridden a MTS, and really like it, and think it would be perfect for my daily commute. My only question is heat, it gets pretty hot here and while I don't mind heat at a stoplight, I don't want the bike to vent a bunch on my legs at speed....any advice...
Mike
ge360
MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 3:13 am Reply with quote

okay, so I'm a recent return to bikes and I will assume that the Vtec that everyone is referring to is similar to the Honda automobile VTEC system. I test drove one of those several years ago and as long as you enjoy automatics, its fine. You just don't feel the response that you do with a standard. I walked away with a feeling of very little control or response. Kinda like ABS in reverse. Fine I guess for the uncaring, oblivious riders/drivers.
Tee-Dub

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 3:26 am Reply with quote

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Vtec is a variable valve timing system. On the VFR it runs on 2 valves per cylinder up to 6k rpm, then switches to 4 valves/cylinder hydraulically. The problem is, the bike gives quite a jolt when it transitions into 4 valve operation. I was always watching the tach when entering corners to make sure I wasn't going to sweep through 6k rpm at the apex of the corner. Also you could never cruise right at 6k rpm because the bike behaved as if it was confused, switching between 2 and 4 valve operation back and forth.

They should have left vtec out and they should have kept the gear driven cams, that was one of the best things on the older VFRs!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 4:59 am Reply with quote

I used to own a non Vtec VFR 800 which if I compared it to to the MS I would some up as follows
For every day transport and user friendliness The VFR wins hands down
For riding pleasure and Fun There is only one winner The MS of course.
I never found myself wanting to get out and ride the VFR just for the pleasure of riding

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:24 am Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I also owned a pre-VTEC VFR800 and it was a fantastic bike. If I could have afforded to keep it alongside my Multi I believe I would have the perfect collection alas it was not to be. Having said all that I have had my Multi since March and had one very minor problem with the dash which was replaced under warrenty with no paperwork necessary and if someone offered me my money back and my old VFR I would stick with the multi now. I find myself going for a ride just for the sake of it when I have an hour spare, something i would not have done with the VFR which was more of a 'tool' than the Multi which is so much fun.

I hope my babbling is of some use and good luck with the easiest decision of your life!

Stuart.