Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: 04 MTS DS or 04 Triumph Speed triple???

04 MTS v 04 Speedtriple
04 MTS  
88%
  88%  (22)
04 Speedtriple  
12%
  12%  (3)
Total Votes : 25

Jamie_Ducati
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:07 am Reply with quote

I am looking at a more useable bike to replace my 749 fpr road use. may consider track day. Rolling Eyes reason- i want a bike which is more user friendly on the bumpy back roads, more comfy, excellent handling very important, proud to own, smooth engine (i find 749 better than 999), relative simplicity of mechanics

I have shortlisted the above 2 bikes. I appreciate this is a mts site, could anyone offer any opinions. I appreciate these are personal but I am stuck between the 2.

I ride 10 months of the year, and intend to go to the pyrenees/ alps every year for 2 weeks or so. I am into back lane riding on twisties, occasionally take pillion (although less now), hate motorway, go to weekend bike rallies (luggage!) I tend to stay below 100mph. I do not just ride 30 miles on a run, and enjoy long days in the saddle, eg to the coast, and in hills, countryside. Live Uk midlands (Derbyshire)

My thoughts-
Both have great sound and styling, both appear fun bikes, perhaps mts more staid looking, both highly capable

MTS- quirky individual styling (like though, especially in grey), ability to take hard luggage. fairing for weather protection (winter riding). Higher maintenance/ servicing costs. smooth looks.
go everywhere do everything. Ducati name. lumpy engine. (not yet ridden, although have ridden 1000ds supersport). upside down forks, better brakes, braided hoses standard, better looking wheels and engine

SPT- more power, great aggressive styling yet comfortable, beautiful riding position, handles very well, smoother engine, would need soft luggage (already own, but impractical), no weather protection for colder months, awesome fun, torquey yet smooth, arguably better reliability and easier maintenance.

many thanks
Jamie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:19 pm Reply with quote

Jamie, I had an 02 S3 but had to sell it due to a back problem, although it's sit up and beg the footpegs are sports bike high, which I found uncomfortable, if it hadn't been for that I would have kept it. Great engine, suspension is definately sports set up which is a bit of a handfull on the fine! roads of Wiltshire.
The MTS took some getting used to, it is very comfortable, the suspension copes well with poor roads, the engine takes some getting used to aswell, it doesn't like low revs (the S3 is so torquey you don't know which gear it's in).
All in all the MTS was a bit of a culture shock after the S3, saying that I can't imagine riding any other bike now.
Rocker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:12 pm Reply with quote

If I wanted to go and play on the odd nice Sunday we get in the UK then I would add to Mr Bloors alreadt substancial bank balance but If I wanted a bike that I could also play on plus tour and commute and enjoy a gentle day out around the counrty lanes then I would add to Italy's export figures

MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:52 am Reply with quote

gareth wrote:
although it's sit up and beg the footpegs are sports bike high, which I found uncomfortable, if it hadn't been for that I would have kept it.
I rode a speed triple once and I didn't like the footpeg placement either. I am only 5'8" and thought that they were high, same for the Aprilia Tuono. I would take either the Triumph or the Aprilia for short commuting and weekend hooliganism but for longer rides the MTS is better in my opinion. From what little I can gather from the original post, it sounds like the MTS is the better choice for you Jamie.
Jamie_Ducati wrote:
My thoughts-
Both have great sound and styling, both appear fun bikes, perhaps mts more staid looking, both highly capable
Just remember that the MTS does not have a great sound "out of the box." It takes a little time and money to get that sound. Bone stock it sounds like a big weed eater. So if you want that "Ducati" sound make sure that you budget for the modifications.
neilrmar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:49 am Reply with quote

Jamie

I have owned over 18 bikes in the last 10 years including a 2003 749s, 2002 Speed Triple and the Multistrada. You know the two bikes that put the biggest smile on my face? The Speed triple and the Multistrada!! (I know that doesn't help)!!

If you want to stay below 100mph then the speed triple will be ok if you have the Triumph Fly screen fitted. Anything over that you will struggle, whereas the multistrada will be fine.

As far as the brakes are concerned I think my speed triple had better brakes, its one of the things I want to upgrade on my Multistrada

For trackdays, I think the speed triple will be a better bike, a lot more ground clearance due to the higher pegs (I regularly touch my footpegs down on my Multistrada) and the engine is more top endy

For road riding and general horseplay I have to say I think the Multistrada is better, it has a peach of an engine in the lower part of the rev range (Seems to run out of puff in the higher revs) and despite the ground clearance handles superbly, and probably steers quicker as well.

I guess bottom line is that the Speed Triple is a bit more "hardcore" than the Multistrada, however for playing on the real roads where we all ride 90% of the time, and we do have to use motorways A roads etc the Multistrada is a better bet.

You cannot go wrong with either of these bikes

sorry for rambling on! hope it helps

Neil

ps you really need to test ride both.
kneepuck
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:00 pm Reply with quote

If it fits you I would go with the S3. The engine is a treat. Smooth all the way through the range. Power everywhere.

Plus the S3 is the best 'crashing' bike I have ever seen. These things can take punishement and still come out okay. I would hate to see the repair bill for the MTS for a similar crash. I know it seems a wierd basis of comparison but is true.

I've done a lot of seat time on an S3, but the ergonomics either work or don't. As I'm 6' 3" they don't for me. The MTS kills the S3 for long term comfort.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:06 pm Reply with quote

if you are considering an S3 then hop on a KTM Superduke for a test ride... i've ridden them both and have to say that KTM has nailed it
Doc
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:27 am Reply with quote

Just a sidenote gents:

the KTM SuperDuke has a 13 litre tank Think Stubborn Rolling Eyes Confused

Cheers,

Doc

teros1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:20 am Reply with quote

Some repetition here, but I've owned both as well....

For (fast) street riding:

2003 S3
PRO: Looks great, nice motor, great brakes
CON: Funky footpeg position (just wrong, worse than my GSXR-1000 with rearsets), poor reliability, suspension just OK, no bags, no wind protection

2005 MTS 1000 S
PRO: Nice motor, very comfortable, great suspension (Ohlins) & handling, bags, V-sound, mucho aftermarket stuff, it's a Ducati!
CON: Marginal ground clearance, brakes on some bikes, poor wind protection above 80 mph, unusual appearance

For the track:

You can go a bit faster on most tracks on the S3, but you'll work a lot harder. (Any modern 600 will kill either of these at the track.)

Summary:

I love my MTS. I would not even consider another S3 unless ergonomics changed significantly. And I agree -- if I wanted a "faster MTS," I'd buy a SuperDuke!

Bob
someone

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:39 am Reply with quote

Doc wrote:
Just a sidenote gents:

the KTM SuperDuke has a 13 litre tank Think Stubborn Rolling Eyes Confused

Cheers,

Doc

actually it's 15 litres... if you don't rev the engine to hell during your entire ride (meaning keeping the revs from 5000 to 8000 rpms) you can get about 140 - 150 kms out of it... i always fill up at around the 110 km mark and have never gotten more than 10 litres into the tank

i know it's not the greatest of ranges but the rest of the bike compensates for so much more Wink
davidjst

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:08 pm Reply with quote

Jamie,

I had an 03 749S. Picked up the multi as a 2nd bike. For longer rides.. for passengers.. more comfort.. etc. Only I never expected to love it as much as I do. Haven't ever had as much fun on a bike as I do on this thing. Loved it so much I sold my 749 and replaced it with an MV in hopes that I would find a sport bike I enjoyed as much as I do the multi. The uglier and bumpier and tighter the roads are, the more fun you will have on it. But the cool thing is it also handles real well on the smoother faster roads. Go figure. And add to this there is just no replacing putting along in 2nd gear at a stratospheric 2,500 RPM, grabbing a hand full of throttle and having the bike launch forward instantly.

The Speed triple is a great bike don't get me wrong. Has more power.. definitely a hooligan bike if that's what you are looking for. But for a do everything motorcycle there is no equal to the multi in my humble opinion. I have more fun riding it than I have ever had on two wheels.

All my friends as me which bike I like better.. the Multi or the F4-1000. So I talk about all the cool stuff the MV has.. how it looks.. handles.. etc. then when I try to describe the multi I just smile. You just have to have one to know.

Ducati got this one right!

David