Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Showa vs Ohlings
valitalian
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:00 am Reply with quote

I am not an experienced rider and would like to know if for mainly touring use I should spend the extra money or not.

Will I feel less the potholes and vibrations with the golden ones? Or its just a matter of turning a knob?

Rolling Eyes

Thanks

Val

MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:49 am Reply with quote

I feel it depends on how much you weight: I am 150 pounds and with the showas backed off on all settings, I still have my teeth jarred on expansion joints and road holes. The suspension gurus in Calgary say to toss the rear showa and replace the guts of the front--$2500 to "fix" the MS suspension. I have ridden the ohlins and they are a night and day difference. The new seat might play some factor here too but the ohlins isolate the rider from the bad road much better and feel more confident at speed.

If I was a bigger guy, the showas might work better.

douga
valitalian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:51 pm Reply with quote

[$2500 to "fix" the MS suspension]

At that point is better to just get the Ohlins right?

Note that I am 200 pounds and would like to be more confortable on different road types and in Europe there are many old roads made with all kinds of bumpy stuff. I rather get what I need than fix the bike later, I will use it mainly for touring, which will do better for me then?

Thanks V.

MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:58 am Reply with quote

Im am 190lbs, and the Showa's work just perfectly. I like to ride fast and have even adjusted them 2 clicks stiffer ( rear preload ). I'm not even considering changing a thing suspention wise on my 1000DS. For the most part the Ohlins do have more adjustment for lighter riders. the bike comes set at the lightest setting on rear preload and that is for a 170lbs ridder. So If your lighter than that you might have a prob. It has alot of adjustment for more weight, for 2 up riding. The gold units are only a little better. showa's are still good shocks used by alot of other race bikes.
But also the 1000S comes with alot of carbon fiber nice bits. Performance wise I dont feel their will be that much of a noticeable differance, But cost wise, your getting a good deal on the extras.

teros1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:35 am Reply with quote

My opinions (I own an S, but test-drove the Showa model):

1. I was amazed by how well the Showa setup performed. With proper adjustment, it would most likely fill your needs.

2. For $1500 (US), you can get Ohlins performance from the base model (if you need or want it).

3. If you can swing the money, the S is worth it -- great suspension, much-improved bars, some cool carbon. Re-sell value will be higher too.

I love them both!

Bob
SCOTT
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:23 am Reply with quote

Greetings,

A quality suspension tuner can upgrade the standard Showa suspension with Ohlins valving and/or other options including springs etc for far less (maybe $600 USD) than replacing the stock suspension.

Having said that, it may be a better idea to buy the "S" in the first place if you are interested in upgrading as you get other upgrades (carbonfiber, Magure Bars etc) included in the price for far less than the per item cost as well as the resale and pride in owning an "S".

I'd have purchased an "S" if they were available at the time.

Cheers,

Scott