Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Known issues and Reliability
midlifecrisis
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:46 am Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm considering getting rid of my BMW and returning to Ducati (well, not so much 'returning' given that I've always had at least one Ducat since I was 15!)

On my list are the S3, Multistrada 1000 and 1100

My questions are :

1) what are the most frequent known issues, and have Ducati fixed them outside of warranty

2) what's the REAL reliability like

3) what sort of mileages have you all done, and are there any long-term/high mileage issues likely to crop up once the bike is well out of warranty!

I love the look and concept of the MS, I just want to make sure i buy with my eyes open !

Thanks in advance.
miloVanMultistrada
MTS: 2008 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:53 am Reply with quote

Generally reliability is very good, with only scheduled servicing required.

The 1000 suffered from more 'common' problems than the 1100 the worst of these was a problem with 'soft' valve guides (some 2003-2006 bikes). There is a list of engine numbers around somewhere on the forum that details exactly which bikes were affected. Ducati have been fairly good about rectifying the problem even for those out of warranty.

Other pretty common ailments are: peeling engine paint (bit of a general one on aircooled DS engines this), random problems with instruments (possibly caused by water ingress), rusty nuts/bolts.

I've done 22,000 miles and the only problem I've had is warped front brake discs, replaced under warranty. There are plenty of high mileage bikes on this board (one with over 100,000 miles in the US I think).

The biggest worry for me now I am out of warranty is any problem with the ECU and/or instruments. Both are expensive to replace, although finally there seems to be a few 3rd party companies who are able to repair them in some cases.
Android
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:41 pm Reply with quote

Hi Mid life

I am up to 42,000 miles on mine since Nov 08 all home maintenance.
Had the valve guides replaced at 36,000 and now in need of new clutch (plate tabs + basket worn).
My instrument panel has succumed to water ingress as most do...I've lost a few numbers and the B button is difficult to use to access trip mileage which you need cause the fuel gauge is crap.
Back light not working for speedo. Very expensive to replace.

Great bike to ride....I commute 84miles a day all year round and then I'm out and about for fun too, still can't get enough.

Only stopped once because of charging issue ....connector block from alternator to rectifier badly corroded.

Great riding position helps you take full advantage of the road ahead, but I would not want to ride round town much, that would be too painful.
Andy

MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:18 pm Reply with quote

I carry a shower cap with me. If I have to park the bike in the rain, the cap goes over the instrument panel. I haven't had any problem with rain getting in while in motion, although I have only ridden a handful of times in driving rain.

There are two main issues with these bikes:

1) valve guides, which have been mentioned, but you can get around this one by buying a 1000 that has already had the guides replaced or by getting an 1100.

2) Expanding fuel tanks. This affects multiple recent Ducati models with painted plastic tanks including the MTS, Sport Classics and Monsters. The basic gist is that Ducati is generally (but not always) replacing the tanks. The downside is that it seems they are replacing them with the same type of tank. Some Sport Classic owners are on their 3rd tank. Some people are paying to have their replacement tanks Caswell coated. Some have gotten the tank to shrink back to size by removing and drying. California Cycleworks is considering offering a replacement tank, but you wouldn't be able to paint it. In general, this situation is fluid. Do a search to learn more.
miloVanMultistrada
MTS: 2008 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:53 pm Reply with quote

potomacduc wrote:
2) Expanding fuel tanks. This affects multiple recent Ducati models with painted plastic tanks including the MTS, Sport Classics and Monsters. The basic gist is that Ducati is generally (but not always) replacing the tanks. The downside is that it seems they are replacing them with the same type of tank. Some Sport Classic owners are on their 3rd tank. Some people are paying to have their replacement tanks Caswell coated. Some have gotten the tank to shrink back to size by removing and drying. California Cycleworks is considering offering a replacement tank, but you wouldn't be able to paint it. In general, this situation is fluid. Do a search to learn more.

One caveat about this problem - this only appears to affect the USA, as of yet nobody in Europe or elsewhere in the world has reported an expanding tank. It's possibly related to the amount of ethanol mixed in with gas/petrol.
Motodisiac
MTS: 2007 1100S (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:02 pm Reply with quote

Can you provide any more information on "drying" topic?

D.

potomacduc wrote:
Some have gotten the tank to shrink back to size by removing and drying.

12 Multistrada 1200 Pikes Peak - Commute, Adventure, Light Dirt, Track, Fun

08 Multistrada 1100S - Scrambler / Supermoto project

05 Honda CRF450X - Real dirt fun
Android
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:14 pm Reply with quote

shrinking fuel tank..........
http://www.multistrada.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21695

MTS: 2007 1100S (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:04 pm Reply with quote

Thanks.

D.

Android wrote:
shrinking fuel tank..........
http://www.multistrada.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21695

12 Multistrada 1200 Pikes Peak - Commute, Adventure, Light Dirt, Track, Fun

08 Multistrada 1100S - Scrambler / Supermoto project

05 Honda CRF450X - Real dirt fun
potomacduc
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:52 pm Reply with quote

miloVanMultistrada wrote:
potomacduc wrote:

One caveat about this problem - this only appears to affect the USA, as of yet nobody in Europe or elsewhere in the world has reported an expanding tank. It's possibly related to the amount of ethanol mixed in with gas/petrol.

Correct, I failed to notice that the O.P was in the UK. In most parts of the USA E10 (10% ethanol) has become the standard and the problem seems to be directly correlated to this. If ethanol is not common in your locale, the you should not have a problem.