Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: MultiStrada 620 questions, please.
OldRoadToad
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:24 am Reply with quote

Hello the house!

I am actually considering trading in my DR650 for a MS 620. I am approximately six feet in height, and currently weigh 210 lbs, though with proper exercise that can change and I could weigh as much as 250 lbs or as little as 180 lbs. I have about 30 years of riding experience, and have twice taken the MSF course (it was a requirement to ride on a military base).

I currently ride both the DR and a Harley-Davidson Roadking. Both excellent bikes to be sure, but both are equipped with cheap spoked wheels using what I term, "bicycle wheels" (i.e., they have tubes in them).

My next bike will not be so hampered, and I am looking hard at the "little" MultiStrada. Why not the 1000, you say? I do not require a lot of power to make me happy, but I do need good fuel economy. Even my ToadKing delivers 40 mpg or more (usually 45 mpg and as much as 50 mpg), and the DR650 is all most all ways returning 52 mpg around town and as much as 58 mpg on the free way.

How does the MultStrada 620 compare with these figures. Does it deliver mileage (at least) in the 50 mpg range? I know that the tank is but 3.9 gallons, but if the bike can provide the above noted mileage, I should be happy with that. I know that the 1000 has a much larger fuel cell, but I am concered that the bike will not do that well at the gas pump. I understand that some folk do not care all that much about fuel economy, but I do. Especially now with gas prices continually soaring ever higher.

I am not all that good a rider, hence my hesitance to purchase a machine as power full as the 1000, tho' a good friend has told me that I should test ride both of them. I rarely (if ever) carry a passenger, as my wife refuses to ride, and does not allow either of our children to accompany me any where on either motorbike. Sad

I have a (for lack of a better term) brake "fetish" , LOL! Due to the lack of dual discs up front, I will not be considering the "Dark" version of the 620 that is availabe in America. My dealer has one, and the sales man told me that I could have another 320mm disc and caliper put on for a price, but the so-called colour (asphalt?) has yet to win me over. Another disc up front might help... Very Happy

The red 620 with the bird cage/trellis frame in matching red really caught my toadish eye. The same holds true for the 620 Monster, but the seating position on the Monster is too uncomfortable for one such as I (read: olde). The 'Stradas are far more comfortable for me, even sitting on the show room floor. I have ridden my DR650 for 370 miles in a single day (all street), and my ToadKing for well over 500 miles in a day. The 'King is more comfortable that either the 'Strada or DR, but as I am keeping it, this does not really play in to the equation.

Are there any of you that are of equal height/weight (or greater) that own the 620 and can offer insight into how the bike works for you, both negative and positive. Additionally, I have avoided Ducati owner ship in the past due to the maintenance costs, but with my HD costing me $350 for the 5,000 mile service, and the 10,000 mile service set to hit me for $500, I can not fathom a Duc being worse.

Or can it? Shocked LOL!

My local dealer would be GP Motorcycles in San Diego. A fine bunch of lads, and true enthusiasts. I would buy a nice retro Ducati Jacket to go with the Multi, but the sizes offered are not sufficient for my ("AHEM"!!) bulk. They only go to size 50 USA, and that is not going to cut it, unless I shrink down, which I do not want to do right now. I own two HD jackets, and a very nice Triumph retro-style jacket, I do not own a Suzuki jacket and never will. I like my bike, but the name just does not belong on a jacket. No cachet, if you will. Triumph is the coolest sounding name for a motorbike.

I digress...sorry.

So there you have it lads (and any lasses!). Fuel economy, cost of maintenance, fun factor, and the good, the bad, and the ugly. I await your insight my friends. I am going to try and get a test ride on the 620 (finally!!!) this Saturday. I am not all that keen on trying out the 1000, as I am a scardy toad. Regardless, I am capable of riding such a bike, as I tend to obey the speed limits, and a toad's got to know their limits.

I know mine.

I just want to have fun.

The Lord be with you all.

El Toado Verde Very Happy
Chairguy
MTS: 2006 620 Dark

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:41 am Reply with quote

Welcome Toad.. 1st I like my 620 a bunch..It rides great, turns like a dream and is just dead sexy..it has more then ample power for me.. I can't really image doing more then 70 on most of the 2 lane twisties around here.. Not that I do that.. but I may have dabbled once or twice.. just to temp the blend..

As far as MPG's go.. I figure I am getting about 50 mpg per fill up.. thats been during the run in time.. Not really pushing it to hard & no real HW miles yet..

The thing about the multies it seems is the fuel gauge.. If you read thru all the forums you will see most folks have this issue.. The way the tank is designed, makes the fuel gauge a little flakey.. I have had it light up as soon as 130 miles and as late as 150 miles.. At 150 when I filled up, it drank 3gallons on the nose.. leaving me with that .9 still in the tank.. So I think i would be good for about 200 miles in a pinch.. As recommended by most , if you get it, use the trip meter as your gauge..

As far as weight.. I rode my GF on it the other day.. I am sure are combined weight was over 3 hundy ..It strained a bit but did the job fine.
So, I think you will be fine if you grow, even better if you shrink.. I was lucky that My GF was sure I was attemping to kill her (never ridden before), so I won't be putting that strain on my 620 again..

As far as up keep I was told my 600 mile tightening/oil change would be 300 to 400.. But after the first 2 I plan on doning my own work..to keep costs down...

the only other thing I have heard between the DL & the multi is that the dl is a bit faster on the top end, but the Multi is a bit more sporty and agile in the turns.. and its all about the turns..

I would say do a search on this site for "620" and you will get all the scoop on the bike thats been posted so far..

Hope that helps
Urb

MTS: 2005 620 (Orange)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:16 pm Reply with quote

Ditto to all that. My fuel is about 55 - 60 mpg, and I rarely use top gear.

Service intervals 6000m & 12000m, so cost is spread over longer than UJM's etc.
OldRoadToad
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:05 am Reply with quote

Thank you lads for the information. I will be keeping my ToadKing® as it is not yet paid for, and is with out a doubt the loveliest bike I have ever owned. I get more waves when I am on that bike. This should also keep the tune ups on both bikes to perhaps once a year. The 'King is a very comfortable ride for any sort of riding, but...

It is BIG! LOL!! Very Happy

Hence my desire to look into the owner ship of a 620. Again, thank you for the help.

The Lord make His face to shine upon you.

The Toad Very Happy