Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Is The MS 1200 Touring S really the right bike for me?
Che
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:04 pm Reply with quote

I was looking at possibly purchasing a MS 1200 Touring S to replace my 2008 Yamaha FJR1300. Her are questions/ concerns:

1) I will do all of my maintenance except valve checks/ adjustments and cam belt changes. What can I expect to pay for these two items?

2) Lots of electronics!!!! What can I expect in this area in terms of reliability/ durability?

3) This will be my cross-country touring bike. I typically ride about 20,000 miles a year and I plan on keeping this one for at least 5 years. Is this really the right bike for this application?

I do not mind the upfront purchase costs but I am concerned about maintenance costs and reliability/ durability. I have become accustomed to Japanese touring bikes in terms of cheap and easy maintenance (I have done all of my maintenance on these- including valve checks and adjustments when rarely needed) and rock-solid reliability. These concerns are currently holding me back from pulling the trigger on purchasing the bike.
mollycbr123
MTS: 2010 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:32 am Reply with quote

Che wrote:
I was looking at possibly purchasing a MS 1200 Touring S to replace my 2008 Yamaha FJR1300. Her are questions/ concerns:

1) I will do all of my maintenance except valve checks/ adjustments and cam belt changes. What can I expect to pay for these two items?

2) Lots of electronics!!!! What can I expect in this area in terms of reliability/ durability?

3) This will be my cross-country touring bike. I typically ride about 20,000 miles a year and I plan on keeping this one for at least 5 years. Is this really the right bike for this application?

I do not mind the upfront purchase costs but I am concerned about maintenance costs and reliability/ durability. I have become accustomed to Japanese touring bikes in terms of cheap and easy maintenance (I have done all of my maintenance on these- including valve checks and adjustments when rarely needed) and rock-solid reliability. These concerns are currently holding me back from pulling the trigger on purchasing the bike.

1) Might be best to ask your dealer about costs. Shop rates vary widely.

2) I think your guess about longivety of the electronic gizmos is as good as anyone's right now. I've read of only one electronics failure on another forum, as well as a few glitches with electronic gas caps and steering locks, but other than that, I've heard no complaints.

3) I also got the 1200s for touring. It replaced an 1100s multi that I also used for touring (which replaced an ST3, which replaced an ST1100, which replaced a VX800, etc., etc., back to a CB350.) The 1200 is by leaps and bounds the most capable sport tourer I've ever owned, as far as power, relative comfort and handling. And just for fun, it will also keep up with most any sportbike out there in the twisties ('cept for maybe a BMW S1000R Smile ). I also grew up riding and touring on Japanese motorcycles. This is my third Ducati. All of my Ducs have had quirks about them, but they have all been dead reliable. Ownership of a Ducati is a completely different experience from owning a Japanese bike, and at this point, I can't see myself ever wanting to go back.

My 0.02. Hope it helps you.

'12 Multistrada S Touring
Yes, I do miss my air cooled multi...
Brand spanking new '16 Thruxton R
martins
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:24 am Reply with quote

Given the mileage you expect and the fact you already have a 2008 Yamaha FJR1300, look at the super tenere, due in the states in 2011,

Fister
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:30 am Reply with quote

I wouldn't.
That's one reason I love the two valvers, I can do shims and belts myself.
And all those electronics... shudder.
keener
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:34 am Reply with quote

martins wrote:
Given the mileage you expect and the fact you already have a 2008 Yamaha FJR1300, look at the super tenere, due in the states in 2011,

I heard the super tenere were really fat ... whats the wet weight? Think

74 Z1 900
98 1200 Bandit
2015 Kawasaki Verses 1000
pyoungbl
MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:50 pm Reply with quote

I think the valves on the 1200 are only checked every 15K miles and you change the belts then too. If you are doing the valves there is almost no additional labor to change the belts...some shops take the belts off to make the valve check easier. Thus the question to ask is how much is involved in checking the valves...how much labor. Add in parts for the belts and you have a clear idea. You would be doing this about once each year. I'm guessing about $500 for only what you are discussing.

Now, remember that you are going to need some electronic help to do some of the routine maintenance. TechnoResearch makes an electronic package for the 1000/1100 bikes, not sure if they have it for the 1200 yet. What I'm saying is that your decision is based on doing almost all service but some of that service might be require you to spend money and train yourself. The shop can usually do the same job in much less time (for $90/hour) and hopefully do it right.

Personally, my reading of your post is that you could do the valves and belts yourself if you had a bit of help that first time. An investment in a manual, some tools, and a shim set is all you need. Just a thought.

Wish we had a 1200 head to circulate...

Cheers,
Peter Y.
mikejames
MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:17 pm Reply with quote

I've only been able to test ride the new Multi and we want one as soon as I can sell my 2006 Multi S and my KTM dirt bike!
Now for the Maintance Valves are at 15,000 miles & Belts at 30,000 miles.
I bought all the right tools and a shim kit for 2 valve Multi and service manuals Desmo Times & Ducati so you can do a 4 valve just more time consumeing but you will know your bike alot better.
The FJR is nice buy heavy slow steering takes alot of room to turn around and is smooth from the shaft drive.
1200 Multi has the tightest turn radius and the lowest weight and the most upright and comfortable bike I've rode,and after several bikes like yourself you know what you want.Light fast easy to manuver and carry a passenger and still be cool. the new 1200.
pyoungbl
MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:21 am Reply with quote

Update: Recently talked to a Ducati trained tech (trained for the 1200) and he said that it's actually much easier to check/adjust the valve clearances on the 1200 than the 1000/1100. That should keep the cost down.

Peter Y.
Steve
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:25 am Reply with quote

martins wrote:

Did you manage to sell your Tenere on ebay Martin?

Triumph Tiger 800XC
KTM 1190R Adventure
Multistrada 1200ST 2016 Red
Multistrada 1260S 2019 Red
Steve
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:02 pm Reply with quote

coman wrote:
Message deleted.

Laughing

Triumph Tiger 800XC
KTM 1190R Adventure
Multistrada 1200ST 2016 Red
Multistrada 1260S 2019 Red
mike.woodward@comcast.net

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:45 pm Reply with quote

My Multi 1200 might have been the one referenced above as having an electronic failure. Urban and Enduro modes produce a bunch of errors and a beautiful light show. Sport and Touring modes are reliable, and the dealer has been troubleshooting with Ducati for the past few days. I will post the resolution soon.

If electronics don't fail quickly, they're likely to be reliable for a long time. Complex electronics in cars have been extremely reliable.

I suspect Ducati is working out some HW/SW issues on the 1200, and they may be delaying the 2011's until these issues are resolved. The bike is terrific, so I am not discouraged yet. I expect Ducati will update the 2010's with software and possible hardware updates if needed. My issue may not be indicative of a broader issue. I should know more in a couple of days.
duc ct
MTS: 2010 1200S (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:43 pm Reply with quote

I just got the multi 1200 S touring model. The power is fabulous! Torque and acceleration as or maybe more than my 848, and handling in the twisties is near super bike level.
mike.woodward@comcast.net

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:00 am Reply with quote

Because my Multi 1200 S has been in the shop for the past month with a yet-undiagnosed electrical issues, I rented the FJR1300 for a ride down south.

Comparing the bikes, the Multi is much lighter and more inclined to wheelie when asked. The lightness and the character of the twin are the two most notable differences in the rides. The 4 cylinder is very smooth and powerful enough, I found, on the Yamaha. As a Multi owner, I was surprised and impressed with the way the FJR handled the switchbacks of the Blue Ridge Parkway. The Multi luggage is not nearly as robust as the luggage on the Yamaha. Perhaps the obsession with lightness explains the difference?

The 1200s is much more expensive and closer to a sport bike experience without compromise to comfort. The Yamaha does almost everything well, too.

I may be unique in the severity of my problem with my 1200S spending half of its short life at a dealer with no sign that the problem will ever be solved. I can't recommend the Multistrada for this reason only. I may purchase an FJR1300 as a hassle-free replacement. Confused
Steve B
MTS: 2010 1200 (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:41 am Reply with quote

I haven't seen anyone yet with electronic problems on a standard MTS 1200. Mine has been fantastic and trouble free for 4600 miles. I know the OP on this thread was specifically asking about an S touring, and you're having trouble with your S Mike, but the tone of threads with problems on the 1200 tends to make it seem that they're all susceptible to the electronic gremlims. I do hope you get satisfaction from Ducati Mike and I can't say I wouldn't do the same.