Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Multistrada 1200S for new rider
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
torch
MTS: 2010 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:00 am Reply with quote

With all due respect I consider it would be madness to get a 1200s as your first bike . Please don't do it you will end up in pain or dead .it is not a beginners bike !!!! Work your way up to it . Get something smaller do heaps of training and practise on smaller machines and then you will be able to really love understand and appreciate a 1200s down the line .
DSXL
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:24 am Reply with quote

Google motorcycle crash and look at all the ways a beginner rider can crash.

I had 25 years experience riding motorcycles, including racing desert and motocross, and been through several street and even more dirt bikes when I bought my 2005 Multistrada. On my second ride on my Multistrada I was doing about 70 mph on the highway and wanted to pass the car in front of me. I turned on the blinkers, checked the mirrors, downshifted, hit the gas, and almost ran into the back of the car in front of me. The 1200 is way faster.

You will be much safer learning on a slower bike.
helotech
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:51 pm Reply with quote

I'm never one to disregard the opinion of experts. I've decided to go for a smaller model to begin with.
The wife and I went looking at the local Suzuki/power sports dealer to see if they had a V-Strom in stock (I know, I know, it's not a Ducati....). I showed her both bikes online and she likes the styling better on the Suzuki. God bless her, she always says "Let me see a photo of the gauges" whenever I show her a possible bike to purchase. Mr. Green She is leaving the technical research up to me, but if she doesn't like the styling, it's a no-go.
Unfortunately, the delaership has all their winter toys out on the floor now (sleds and ATV's) while their bikes are all up out of reach on a raised storage area. They did have a VStrom 1000, and from the floor she liked the styling. She's all about that for now. However, we were in the store for about 15 minutes and not one person came up to ask if we needed help, even though there were 6 employees milling about. We just walked out and they officially lost our business. I'll take the 4 hour drive to St Johns and buy there if they are nicer. It's funny, I'm so use to shopping for cars and having those guys practically jump on your back as soon as you walk in. Anyways, I digress.....
What we are planning is that we get the Suzuki V-Strom 650 or equivalent from another manufacturer. The Suzuki is at the top of the list. I would get the Multistrada 620, but since this bike would be passed on to the wife she gets the final say (styling....). Once I feel confident on the V-Strom I'll trade up.
I'm travelling for business to BC and Toronto in the next month and if I have time I will hit any dealerships that I can get to. Anyone have experience with Ducati dealers in Comox or Victoria BC and the Toronto area?
I have checked and as far as I can see there is not a Ducati delaer on the rock. I believe there is one in New Brunswick. When I'm ready I wouldn't mind the trip there and ride it back to the island.
As for the maintenance issue that someone asked me about, I am pretty good with tools. I worked on military Bell 412 helo's for about 11 years, and now I am a flight engineer on the Cormorant Search and Rescue chopper. If I can fix 35 million dollar helo's I may be able to do maintenance on a bike. I'm new to the bike world and would have to do lots of reading on maintenance issues. It may take me twice as long as a shop mechanic, but I'll do it. If I have any kind of shop manula I can take things apart. If there is any large inspection that is beyond my capabilities, I'll tie in a good road trip to an authorized dealer. I do know my limits.
Thanks again
bottomdog
MTS: 2010 1200S (Black)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:47 pm Reply with quote

Nice helotech! I love the V-Strom and it was a direct competitor on my way to finding the Multi. It is also truly wise doing things they way you are with your wife. You most definitely will out grow the 650 fairly fast considering the amount of time you ride.

As for looking for a dealer out west in Canada, I found a few with a simple search on Google maps. I don't know what your thoughts are on swooping down into the states but it can offer you an opportunity for a better deal and more options if they're a dealer that moves a lot of bikes.

Here's what I found:

Ducati- more info »
1613 Bowen Road, Nanaimo, BC V9S 1G5, Canada
+1 250-754-3345 ‎

John Valk BMW Ducati- more info »
3061 Grandview Highway, Vancouver, BC V5M 2E4, Canada
+1 604-731-5505 ‎
4 reviews

Ducati Calgary- more info »
2475 Pegasus Road NE, Calgary, AB T2E 8C3, Canada
+1 403-250-9985 ‎
Humblebub
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:05 pm Reply with quote

There is a 650 Strom on the floor of the dealer here. $10.8K marked down to $8.8K. www.glennscycleworks.pe.ca Good people to deal with. Have no idea if that is a good price as I have been away from Asian brands for a while. I sat on it yesterday Smile - nice bike.

When you get to NB to look at Ducati, you will be dealing with Atlantic Motoplex in Dieppe. Superb dealership that treats people as if they appreciate your business. Never pushy but always helpful and attentive. They have some very tasty deals on now. See www.atlanticmotoplex.ca.

Troy LeBlanc is the Duc guy and he is a delight to deal with. He has extracted large sums of money from my arse pocket and I have never regretted it.

Craig
rays
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:10 am Reply with quote

do you like the monster? it's a ducati, and so similar to the MTS, but easier to ride, and may be a better choice. it's light weight, seat is pretty low, has plenty of power but not so much as the MTS 1200.
mstevens
MTS: 2010 1200S (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:56 pm Reply with quote

rays wrote:
do you like the monster?

Lots of people think it's madness to get a Monster as ones first bike. It's all relative.

Casa Suzana, vacation rental villa in Cozumel, Mexico
DR14
MTS: 2010 1200 (White)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:58 pm Reply with quote

I know alot of people that have had Monsters (620s, s2r800s) as their first bikes and really enjoyed it. They are super easy to ride, low seat height, confidence inspiring.
My first bike was an SV650, similar power to a Monster that I got the week after I passed my MSF course and I loved it.
DR14
MTS: 2010 1200 (White)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:01 pm Reply with quote

The lower power Kawi Ninjas are also great starter bikes, 250, 500, people love them.

-Dave
ducowner
MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:04 pm Reply with quote

If you're going to be riding two up, you likely won't even want to start with a 250, etc... I think your thinking along the lines of the VSTROM is an excellent choice for a starter bike. At the end of the day, when you "outgrow" it, your wife will end up with a very well regarded, popular, and functional motorcycle that she will get years of enjoyment out of.

While I do know a few people that went right from their training course to Monsters, I personally don't think its a good idea for you. For one, its a whole different style of bike; your wife won't end up with a bike made for luggage and touring (although of course ANY bike CAN be used for touring).

But also, Ducati's ARE performance bikes. Hair trigger throttles from a standing start, unforgiving clutches with not much play, and grabby brakes. Great for hole shots and having a LOT of fun! In my opinion, NOT so great for learning. Anything with 100 HP and up, that weighs as little as these bikes do, is VERY fast and able to accelerate VERY rapidly.

Many, no make that SO MANY, motorcycle accidents are the result of people buying sport bikes for their first bikes. Just ask the insurance companies. Some insurance companies, and even many countries, won't even allow you to purchase bikes over "X" HP until you have "X" years of experience. Although it looks more similar to a VSTROM or a GS than it does to a sport bike, the Ducati rides more like a superbike. Other than riding position and saddlebags, it really bares no other similarities to a VSTROM whatsoever.

Me, I've been riding since the early 80's. Had over 30 bikes. Raced 125's and TZ250's when I was younger. And I have to confess, it took me at least a few weeks before, even with experience, I was able to REALLY ride my Multistrada... Not just get it from A to B, but really ride it like it was meant to be ridden. I guess I'm saying that even with experience, there was an adjustment period for me. Heck the first 2 days, it was about keeping the front wheel down every time I left a green light. It's so light, and your weight is distributed further back than on a sport bike...

As far as dealers go, I'm assuming you're going over to 442 at Comox for your visit. If you can get a flight into YVR, right there in Richmond, Richmond Motorsports is a Ducati/Suzuki/Kawasaki dealer. Lots of VStroms in stock. Some of them have been there a while. Probably lots of motivation to sell. Its a large dealership so there should be a lot of new/used/demos to choose from. Good people. If you can get to YVR on one of my days off, I would happily drive you to the dealership and back. My bike's in there getting serviced right now.

No matter what bike you choose, this is going to be one of the best decisions you ever made! There is NOTHING like riding! Its thrilling and Zen at the same time. Welcome to the "club"!

Cheers!
AlanG
MTS: 2010 1200 (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:11 pm Reply with quote

good decision (SV650)
the multi 1200 sits really tall
mike.woodward@comcast.net

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:02 pm Reply with quote

I read good advice in this thread, and I agree with it. However, I nonetheless, chose to buy a 1200S as my first motorcycle at 52 years old with a 29.5 inch inseam. Think

I am a driving instructor for cars on race tracks, and I read 2 good books on motorcycle driving to supplement the basic weekend course required for the license. I watched the disturbing videos of crashes, and I have listened to more horror stories than I can count to be sure I am minimizing risk using the experience and advice of others.

ABS and traction control are both good safety features that helped me "rationalize" the sanity of this purchase.

I've driven 2600 miles in the past 3 months, and I have been lucky enough not to crash or damge the bike with a drop. I use the lower seat and drive with thick soles because uneven surfaces and backing up such a tall bike with short legs are challenges.

My mistakes so far? I've dragged my left foot by forgetting to tuck it in in tight turns. I also fell in love with "Sport" mode too quickly. A gradual throttle is much safer as you learn because an unexpected bump can induce a wheelie or worse.

Overall, I have depended on extreme focus and restraint to survive on this motorcycle for my first 2600 miles of riding. I love this bike In love , but the margins of error are so slim and the consequences so dire that I would never recommend such a powerful and big bike for a beginner.
mollycbr123

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:37 pm Reply with quote

mike.woodward@comcast.net wrote:
I read good advice in this thread, and I agree with it. However, I nonetheless, chose to buy a 1200S as my first motorcycle at 52 years old with a 29.5 inch inseam. Think

I am a driving instructor for cars on race tracks, and I read 2 good books on motorcycle driving to supplement the basic weekend course required for the license. I watched the disturbing videos of crashes, and I have listened to more horror stories than I can count to be sure I am minimizing risk using the experience and advice of others.

ABS and traction control are both good safety features that helped me "rationalize" the sanity of this purchase.

I've driven 2600 miles in the past 3 months, and I have been lucky enough not to crash or damge the bike with a drop. I use the lower seat and drive with thick soles because uneven surfaces and backing up such a tall bike with short legs are challenges.

My mistakes so far? I've dragged my left foot by forgetting to tuck it in in tight turns. I also fell in love with "Sport" mode too quickly. A gradual throttle is much safer as you learn because an unexpected bump can induce a wheelie or worse.

Overall, I have depended on extreme focus and restraint to survive on this motorcycle for my first 2600 miles of riding. I love this bike In love , but the margins of error are so slim and the consequences so dire that I would never recommend such a powerful and big bike for a beginner.

Glad you are still with us. I force myself to keep the bike in Urban while around town. It does take quite a bit of self control on occasion, but it makes staying out of trouble (both physical and legal) much easier. Wink

'12 Multistrada S Touring
Yes, I do miss my air cooled multi...
Brand spanking new '16 Thruxton R
Moronic
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:02 am Reply with quote

mike.woodward@comcast.net wrote:

Overall, I have depended on extreme focus and restraint to survive on this motorcycle for my first 2600 miles of riding.

Nicely put. I think it is the restraint that demands most from a novice on a bike this quick.

The 150 horsepower is a big selling point for the bike, right? So surely you use it? Which means full throttle and plenty of revs. Which means lots of risk, just about anywhere.

A novice rarely gets it that a very good rider on a 150hp bike might exploit the full top-end power potential only a few times a year. Rest of the time it is surfing along on the torque curve. Cool
lotus54
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:27 pm Reply with quote

There is a Suzuki/Honda/KTM dealer here in Port Angeles. Just a ferry ride from Victoria. Nanaimo is a ways from Victoria, but probably easier than going through customs twice...

I have not been to any of the places in Victoria in years, but I think there is at least on member there.

If you are new to bikes, I'd buy a little dirt bike and ride the heck out of it. Both you and you wife. This would allow the development of lots of skills you need, plus it is great fun.
It doesn't have to be large or fast, a little 125 4-stroke would be fine.
I picked up a Yamaha TTR125 cheap for my daughter and wife to try out. electric start even.

Mark

Beta XTrainer 300