Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: MTS v. ST3 v. Sprint?
nostatic
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:44 am Reply with quote

I currently ride a Triumph Speed Four which I love, but I think I would like to get something a bit more commute friendly that still handles like a scalded cat (very balanced scalded cat however). I used to have a Monster 620 so I have a thing for Ducs, but the 620 was just too small for me (I'm 6'1", 175). I suppose I could have tweaked it, but out of the box the Triumph smoked it and fit better.

At any rate, with some financing deals to be had for Ducs, and the new Triumph Sprint out (and looking sassy), I'm pondering making a switch. Anyone look at these choices before getting their MTS?
OldRoadToad

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:18 am Reply with quote

Greetings!

The Toad is six feet in height and 210 pounds.

And yes, the MS 620 or the Monster 620 are two bikes that I am considering. I also have test ridden a Buell XB9S and found it to be wonderful. I have yet to test ride any Ducati, but have not lost the desire to do so, nor has not riding one dimmed my desire to possibly own one in the (hope fully) near future.

The new Triumph Sprint is nice, but I care not for the leaning into the wind riding position. To be honest, the Monsters felt none too comfy just sitting on them in the show room (I sat on a new Sprint today, and yes, the dealer asked me if I wished to test ride one. Right then!). Too much lean for an olde toad, LOL! Your Triumph is a beauty of a bike, and one I looked into a year or so ago, but did not purchase due to the seating position. I am a verrrrry olde toadie.

I did notice that Ducati now has a carbon fiber exhaust system for the S2Rs, priced at approximately $1,800 U.S. As a rule, I tend to leave my bikes stock, but this exhaust does look quite nice in the photograph at the Duc site. Very Happy

Good luck with your choice, as well as the journey leading to it.

The Toad Very Happy
dartfrog
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:27 am Reply with quote

I too still like the Triumph offerings but am not wavered by my choice of the MTS.
Test ride both. With you at 6-1 you might find the ST a little cramped and perhaps the heat expulsion from a fully faired ride.
For a long distance commuter the MTS could be the ticket. What you will immediatly notice is a better view of the your surroundings and the ability to see through the back window of the soccer mom's SUV in front of you.
SCal never gets snow and I still never understand why so many out there have 4WD
Think

No great $$ deals on the ST right now and whatever the dealers have left once sold will be gone till perhaps year end.
Happy hunting

Charlie

nostatic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:44 am Reply with quote

One thing I like about my Speed Four is that it has a pretty good compromise between a sport bike position and uprights, so my visibility on SoCal freeways is pretty good. What I think I'd like is a bit more wind protection and some luggage options. For the Speed Four I'm limited to throwovers. Plus I'm an air cooled fan...I track a '79 911 so anything that avoids radiators has my attention. R1100S is another bike I've considered...
wayward
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:50 pm Reply with quote

dartfrog wrote:

SCal never gets snow and I still never understand why so many out there have 4WD
Think

I grew up in San Diego and can tell you in three words why I had 4WD. BAJA 500 BABY! (OK so that's really 2 words and a number)

Back in the day the Baja 500 was a hoot and just about anyone could put together a vehicle to run it. Now if you don't have 1.5 Million+ for the vehicle, don't even bother.

Habanero
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:56 pm Reply with quote

[/quote]
Back in the day the Baja 500 was a hoot and just about anyone could put together a vehicle to run it. Now if you don't have 1.5 Million+ for the vehicle, don't even bother.[/quote]

Did you see Dust to Glory?

http://www.d2gfilm.com/home/

I really enjoyed it.