Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Thinking about the base model
Electrified
MTS: 2010 1200S (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:31 pm Reply with quote

I am thinking hard about purchasing a 2011 MTS Base model and was wondering if anyone has one and wanted to comment on it. I have read a lot about the ABS as well as the electronic suspension adjustments and it seems the reviews are mixed at best. I don't really want to open up the whole "ABS vs Non-ABS" discussion as I have read in detail everyone's arguments for and against it. My thinking is if I can get into this beautiful stallion at a reasonable price and add the gigets and gadgets that are important to me, I will be more satisfied. Since I have never had any electronic suspension systems, I don't believe it is something I will miss. I believe the base model suspension will far outstrip my abilities so the upgraded suspension is not important to me either.

I appreciate any and all comments anyone with any model of the 1200 MTS has.
dundidder
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:24 am Reply with quote

I went from an 1100 to a 1200 base model (both Red), have added DP panniers, DP heated grips, Givi 360 top case, and a few other odds and ends. Have rolled up 4500 miles since Feb and couldn't be happier. I ride a mix of commuting, day trips, and 3-4 day trips.

The only general disappointments are the irregular shape of the right pannier and the mpg hit, but both are independent of model.

I'm with you on the suspension, I'm a moderately aggressive rider and think that the base model suits my style just fine.

Rich in PLacitas I

Electrified
MTS: 2010 1200S (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:02 am Reply with quote

dundidder wrote:
I went from an 1100 to a 1200 base model (both Red), have added DP panniers, DP heated grips, Givi 360 top case, and a few other odds and ends. Have rolled up 4500 miles since Feb and couldn't be happier. I ride a mix of commuting, day trips, and 3-4 day trips.

The only general disappointments are the irregular shape of the right pannier and the mpg hit, but both are independent of model.

I'm with you on the suspension, I'm a moderately aggressive rider and think that the base model suits my style just fine.

Rich in PLacitas I

Thanks Rich for the input. I noticed one rider commented that the back shock might be a little soft for someone heavier or for those that ride 2-up which I frequently do. While I am 170 #'s soaking wet, I frequently ride with my lovely bride on the back and want to make sure she is comfortable and the base model suspension has enough to oomf to carry us both. I typically ride much less aggressive with her on the back so I don't think this will be a problem but if you have any experience with 2-up on the base it would be greatly appreciated. Very Happy
dundidder
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:52 pm Reply with quote

I'll let you know in a couple of days, we are going 2 up for about 200 miles tomorrow in the Gunnison CO area. I ring in at about 215# and she is about 135#. We did about 300 miles last summer on the 07, no problems. (I don't ride 2 up as a rule, this is the annual marriage preservation ride).

Rich in PLacitas I

Ed9490
MTS: 2010 1200 (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:31 am Reply with quote

Electrified wrote:
dundidder wrote:

Rich in PLacitas I

Thanks Rich for the input. I noticed one rider commented that the back shock might be a little soft for someone heavier or for those that ride 2-up which I frequently do. While I am 170 #'s soaking wet, I frequently ride with my lovely bride on the back and want to make sure she is comfortable and the base model suspension has enough to oomf to carry us both. I typically ride much less aggressive with her on the back so I don't think this will be a problem but if you have any experience with 2-up on the base it would be greatly appreciated. Very Happy

Well, I just got a MTS1200 ABS a couple of months ago and have logged just over 2000 miles. Of those 2000 miles, 1000 have been spent two up and about 800 where spent in the Smokie mountains in 200 mile sprints. I wore my tires to within a 1/4" of the edge and found absolutely nothing wrong withe the suspension. I spent a day dialing in the suspension. Now I've got the rear marked at the different settings for single and two up. I weigh 240 and she won't tell me but I figure about 130. She loves it. Hope this helps. Enjoy!
venture
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:50 pm Reply with quote

Electrified wrote:

As I see it - the adjustable suspension adjusts preload and compression/rebound dampening.... this does not change the spring rate.

My point is - if you are really looking to set the bike up for your weight, you'd want to get into adjusting the spring rate (both front and rear) for your specific weight and riding style.

Adjusting the preload - as is done by the automated system - can be done manually on the base model, to set it up for 2-up, or traveling with luggage, or both. If this is your concern - a couple turns of the preload knob will take care of this.
dudecati
MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:59 pm Reply with quote

I'm curious about this too and especially your experiance. I currently have a MTS 1100s so the nice suspension and am concerned about going to a non-Ohlins. Did you have an 1100s as well and did you find the new 1200 standard was about the same?

Also - what was the MPG hit like? That too is important to me. I currently get between 48-50 mpg.

Any input is appreciated and thank to the OP for starting this post!

dundidder wrote:

Rich in PLacitas I