Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Good News.. Bad News?
Retired_Colonel
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:55 pm Reply with quote

Brand new to the forum and Ducati. The 'good news' is that I am in an extremely rural and remote part of Oregon = great backroads with twisties/straight runs and very few cages. The 'bad news' is that I am in an extremely rural and remote part of Oregon = closest Ducati dealer is 240 miles away. I am sold on the 1200S. I have owned Buell Uly and a Triumph Tiger...but the Multisrada just blows away this 64 year old retired Army guy. I also own a supercharged 2008 Harley CVO Road King (sorry)! I did all maintenance and upgrades on all my bikes. So the question is: with a service manual, am I going to be able to do the maintenance on this bike, or be hauling it 240 miles everytime it needs some exotic service? Thoughts would be greatly appreciated!! Cheers, Steve.
pyoungbl
MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:02 pm Reply with quote

Steve,
As a 65 year old retired Army Colonel I can relate to your question. Bottom line: yes, you can do most of the maintenance yourself if you are patient, willing to invest in some basic tools, but ready to concede when getting in over your head. The mechanics are actually fairly simple. LT Snyder has a repair manual that will walk you through 'most everything. Look at www.desmotimes.com for details. The electronics, on the other hand, might be more than you are ready to tackle. Yes, you can get software for the engine stuff. I'm thinking about the active suspension, traction control, and ABS. So far I have not heard of many problems with those systems.
BTW, you might find that your part of Oregon has some other Multi owners. I seem to recall some chatter about getting together for combined trips to the nearest dealer.
Welcome to the campfire.

Peter Y.
Retired_Colonel
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:15 pm Reply with quote

pyoungbl wrote:
Steve,
As a 65 year old retired Army Colonel I can relate to your question. Bottom line: yes, you can do most of the maintenance yourself if you are patient, willing to invest in some basic tools, but ready to concede when getting in over your head. The mechanics are actually fairly simple. LT Snyder has a repair manual that will walk you through 'most everything. Look at www.desmotimes.com for details. The electronics, on the other hand, might be more than you are ready to tackle. Yes, you can get software for the engine stuff. I'm thinking about the active suspension, traction control, and ABS. So far I have not heard of many problems with those systems.
BTW, you might find that your part of Oregon has some other Multi owners. I seem to recall some chatter about getting together for combined trips to the nearest dealer.
Welcome to the campfire.

Peter Y.

Thanks, Peter...excellent information. Also great to see another old retired Army Colonel out there bein' all you can be!! Regards, Steve.
Blackmulti
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:50 pm Reply with quote

My friend you do have some great roads back there. I was recently in the LaGrande area (no specifics due to the statute of limitations on traffic violations) and might be back there very soon.

With the 1200 the mechanical maintenance is not much of an issue. With a little mechanical know how, a shop manual, a couple "how to's" online and a few tools and you should be OK. It is all the fancy electronics that scare me a little. That aside, if I could afford one I would have one in a heartbeat. I would not get rid of old faithful though. Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.

If you happen to see a black '04 on 3, 82, 247... that might be me.

Oh, and as for color...two words...Pike's Peak....

'18 1260ST
'84 Moto Guzzi LeMans III in a box
lotus54
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:19 am Reply with quote

Yes, most stuff you can certainly do yourself if needed.

Dooley Mountain hiway is one of my favorites!

Mark

Beta XTrainer 300
Retired_Colonel
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:58 pm Reply with quote

Blackmulti wrote:
My friend you do have some great roads back there. I was recently in the LaGrande area (no specifics due to the statute of limitations on traffic violations) and might be back there very soon.

With the 1200 the mechanical maintenance is not much of an issue. With a little mechanical know how, a shop manual, a couple "how to's" online and a few tools and you should be OK. It is all the fancy electronics that scare me a little. That aside, if I could afford one I would have one in a heartbeat. I would not get rid of old faithful though. Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.

If you happen to see a black '04 on 3, 82, 247... that might be me.

Oh, and as for color...two words...Pike's Peak....

When do the Statutes of Limitations run out? We'll be watching for ya'! The LaGrande and Baker City areas offer some very nice rides. But you live in Oregon, and there is nary an area that doesn't!! Thanks for the kind words.. Steve.
Retired_Colonel
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:00 pm Reply with quote

lotus54 wrote:
Yes, most stuff you can certainly do yourself if needed.

Dooley Mountain hiway is one of my favorites!

Mark

You live in some of the most gorgeous riding in the country. My brother retired a couple years ago as Superintendant of Schools on Bainbridge; did a lot of fun rides up your way. Thanks for the thoughts!!! Steve.