Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: difference between standard & touring
Goto page 1, 2  Next
NoDukes
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:42 am Reply with quote

OK, I'm getting a new Mukltistrada when I get back from Afghanistan! According to the Ducati website the only difference between the standard & the touring is the electronic suspension adjustment (and the ABS, panniers obviously). Am I missing something? Also, am I understanding this right? On the standard you can't switch by push button from one riding mode to the other (DES) like you can on the Sport of touring models? If this is the case like I think it is, is it that big a deal? I mean, it's 150HP in a bike that weighs less than my 650 Versys. Bottom line-is the differece that big a deal (worth $5K) in your opinion? I don't want to getthe standard & wish I sprung for the touring later. Did I just answer my own question? All replies welcome. Thanks.
NoDukes
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:47 am Reply with quote

...and the center stand is not a big deal to me...I can take it or leave it...
miloVanMultistrada
MTS: 2010 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:01 am Reply with quote

The standard (aka base) model has no DES, this is the major difference. So no push button suspension (but you can adjust the suspension manually and there is a knob you can twist to quickly change the rear preload without tools - but not when riding).

There is a base + ABS, again with no DES.

The touring adds DES, panniers, centre stand, heated grips.

The sport adds DES and various carbon bits.
NoDukes
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:05 am Reply with quote

yeah I could add the little bits if I want, but I can't add the push button suspension. That's my biggest sticking point. Does anyone find they use the push button suspension adjustment often-I mean often enough to justify having it? Thanks again.
Moronic
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:51 am Reply with quote

NoDukes, there has been a lot of discussion about this on the forum, although turning it up isn't that easy. I just did a couple of searches and the best I could come up with was this thread:

http://www.multistrada.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21812

which is to the point but not very long.

Maybe some people who have now had their S or standard models for a while will chime in.

However, a few points that might help:

- the key difference is between the standard model and the S models, and it is indeed the push-button suspension (DES).

- however it is not just a matter of easy adjustment. The DES is by Ohlins, the std suspension by Marzocchi and I think Sachs.

- plenty of people seem satisfied with their std suspensions, which as Miles says above have remote, manual preload adjustment for the shock. The main complaint I've seen is that the compression damping adjustment for the std shock is difficult to get to.

- the Ohlins stuff is considered a step above, and what is fitted to the S models is very good Ohlins stuff.

- however, the Ohlins is not all upside: there are costs for the higher performance. The fork seals seem to be softer and wear faster, and cost more to have replaced. The springs are softer front and rear than on the standard, which is optimal if you are of average weight and riding solo and lightly loaded. For long-distance two-up use, many have found they need a stiffer spring (which Ohlins offers), at least at the rear.

- Oh, and again repeating Miles above, you can get the S model in a Sport version, which substitutes some carbon fibre panels for the panniers, heated grips and C/stand. I point this out mainly because there have been many complaints about the quality of the Touring model's panniers.
Steven-f

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:23 am Reply with quote

What Moronic has said is spot on but...

1. All MTS1200 panniers should have been modified (under warranty) to stop the only issue which was water ingress if fully loaded, and the mod works perfectly
2. The non 'standard' versions are definitely imho worth the extra - the Ohlins are sublimely good. being able to change from Touring to Sports mode changes the suspension feel, and sharpens the bike up - but being able to change on the move between them is great: Motorway = touring mode, lanes = sports mode. Simples. And brilliantly easy. Enduro mode is also good - jacks the whole bike up.

If you're on a budget go standard, but if you can get the Touring (best value with the extras) or Sports (if you're a carbon junkie).

S
mollycbr123

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:10 pm Reply with quote

IMO the extra expense for the Ohlins and DES is well worth it. The combination of both fueling and suspension changes with the different modes is what makes the 1200s unique, and it works as advertised. I use the mode changes regularly, and at this point I think I'd have a hard time going back to a bike without them!

'12 Multistrada S Touring
Yes, I do miss my air cooled multi...
Brand spanking new '16 Thruxton R
ducowner
MTS: 2012 1200S PP (Corse)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:43 pm Reply with quote

I believe you still get the "mode" changes, with the Standard non-s, bikes, the modes just don't adjust the suspension.

I also believe Pro Italia was offering a deal where if you purchased a Standard with ABS, you get free panniers.

All of that being said, YES, I use my suspension adjustment all the time. If you are not a tall person, you may need it in Urban for stop and go use. Of course you can set the pre-load up to something similar without the electronics, but you can't switch back and forth with the flick of a button as you go through various cities and towns and their traffic several times per day whilst touring....
miloVanMultistrada

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:55 pm Reply with quote

NoDukes wrote:
Does anyone find they use the push button suspension adjustment often-I mean often enough to justify having it? Thanks again.

Yes, me.
Mattel
MTS: 2008 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:14 pm Reply with quote

Once u go s you will find it hard to go back!

ATGATT+AIR!!!
Steve B
MTS: 2010 1200 (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:12 pm Reply with quote

OK, the S owners are ganging up now Wink After a little more than a year and 10k miles I still have no regrets whatsover of not buying an S. I had an 1100S prior, but the electronic suspension adjustment just isn't appealing to me on the 1200...especially so after the bike is out of warranty. I looked at how I ride and decided that since I almost never ride two up, and don't consider it off road capable, so I don't need to soften up the suspension, I wasn't going to spend the extra bucks. I'm very pleased with the standards suspension.

Really though, it's been said before, but if the electronic Ohlins are appealing to you, you'll be happy with the S. I haven't heard of anyone who has been disappointed with it. There are certainly people that take full advantage of the modes, it just depends on how you use the bike.
NoDukes
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:11 am Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your views & input. "Expert" reviews are nice, but real info from owners is what I need.

Steve B, I'm especially interested in what you had to say (mostly because I'm cheap Smile & you have the non-S). Not to mention this would be an easier sell to my wife if I knocked the price down $5K. I don't plan to take her off road & I too am a little concerned about the fancy (but awesome sounding) electronics when the warranty runs out. I do, however, plan to ride with my wife (~130 lbs) occasionally. Do you find it easy to adjust the suspension manually? Also, is there a way to change power modes (touring, sport, enduro, urban--100-150 HP) on the non-S model, or is it a package deal (electronic suspension & power settings)? Any other info you can provide would be a big help. Thanks again.
Mr Burns
MTS: 2010 1200 (White)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:32 am Reply with quote

I have a standard model with ABS and I'm pleased. I chose it on the basis of the following:
I don't ride well enough to exploit all the suspension settings
If I want a ride like a sport bike I've got an 848 in the garage
I've got better things to do with £3.5K
Because everyone wants the fancy bike I got a deal on my bike which had been sitting in showroom for 6 months

Ref suspension:
The rear is adjusted by a ratchet knob like the BMW GS
The front requires a spanner
@ 11 stone weight I find the standard settings adequate, but I haven't loaded the bike up yet.
The only thing I added was the Ducati luggage rack my 46lt Givi top box fits it perfectly.
So far after the initial period of playing with the push button engine settings I have left it in "Touring" soft 150bhp allegedly but still a flying machine.

Just to throw a spanner in the works, recently I've had access to a friends 1yr old Triumph Tiger and got to say I'm very impressed and with other Dukes in my garage and with the deals Triumph are offering I would possibly have been better off with a Tiger saved £3K and got the suspension upgraded with the money saved, but then again it ain't a DUKE Very Happy

Steve B
MTS: 2010 1200 (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:27 am Reply with quote

NoDukes wrote:
Thanks everyone for your views & input. "Expert" reviews are nice, but real info from owners is what I need.

Steve B, I'm especially interested in what you had to say (mostly because I'm cheap Smile & you have the non-S). Not to mention this would be an easier sell to my wife if I knocked the price down $5K. I don't plan to take her off road & I too am a little concerned about the fancy (but awesome sounding) electronics when the warranty runs out. I do, however, plan to ride with my wife (~130 lbs) occasionally. Do you find it easy to adjust the suspension manually? Also, is there a way to change power modes (touring, sport, enduro, urban--100-150 HP) on the non-S model, or is it a package deal (electronic suspension & power settings)? Any other info you can provide would be a big help. Thanks again.

The suspension is no harder to adjust than any other bike that you can't push a button to adjust. Mr. Burns covered it well. Of the hundreds and hundreds of bikes available, only a few have electronic suspension adjustment. It's funny to me how attitudes change quickly when something like DES comes along. It's suddenly a hardship to take 10 seconds to turn a knob rather than push a button!

As also stated, the power modes are there on all 1200s, regardless of base or S model. Personally, mine stays in sport mode, I love the instant response and full power available. I did spring for the ABS and think it was worthwhile. It's my first bike with ABS too.

This bike is like a chameleon. It can be purchased in different forms and set up in different ways to cover many different riding styles. I use it as a comfortable sportbike that can be toured on or used to commute. Others load it up as a touring bike and are very happy that way. Still others do off road them...with mixed results.

In no way do I mean to disparage the electronically adjustable suspension (DES) on the S model. They make up the majority of sales and get all the press for their innovation. People rave about it. I just evaluated how I ride and decided it wouldn't be worth it for me. I'm admittedly a little risk adverse when it comes to the potential for failures of the DES after the bike is out of warranty.
miloVanMultistrada

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:04 pm Reply with quote

Steve B wrote:
It's funny to me how attitudes change quickly when something like DES comes along. It's suddenly a hardship to take 10 seconds to turn a knob rather than push a button!

I don't think it's quite as simple as that. The big deal about the DES is that you can change it on the move, I can't recall being out on a ride when someone pulled over and dropped to the ground next to their forks with an allen key to make a few adjustments to the damping, but the DES allows you to do this without the need to stop (or carry an allen key Wink ).

It allows you to go from a fairly compliant ride to something very firm and reminiscent of a full-on sportsbike without stopping. If you only ever ride on smooth roads, or bumpy roads then it's pointless, but if you encounter both, often on the same ride, it's worth having.

The only question is how much you're prepared to pay for it.