Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: difference between standard & touring
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Steve B
MTS: 2010 1200 (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:39 pm Reply with quote

miloVanMultistrada wrote:
Steve B wrote:
It's funny to me how attitudes change quickly when something like DES comes along. It's suddenly a hardship to take 10 seconds to turn a knob rather than push a button!

I don't think it's quite as simple as that. The big deal about the DES is that you can change it on the move, I can't recall being out on a ride when someone pulled over and dropped to the ground next to their forks with an allen key to make a few adjustments to the damping, but the DES allows you to do this without the need to stop (or carry an allen key Wink ).

It allows you to go from a fairly compliant ride to something very firm and reminiscent of a full-on sportsbike without stopping. If you only ever ride on smooth roads, or bumpy roads then it's pointless, but if you encounter both, often on the same ride, it's worth having.

The only question is how much you're prepared to pay for it.

All good points milo. I've just honestly never felt the need to change my suspension settings during a ride once I've got the bike set up the way I like it. Or, it could be that it just wasn't worth the trouble to me. Which would come back to your point, and the value you're willing to give that ability to push a button and change the settings. I did take an extensive test ride on an S touring before buying my bike and just wasn't willing to pay the extra I guess. It's just a step too far up the complicated scale for me for what I want in a bike at this time. If it proves to be reliable technology down the road, who knows, maybe I'll be on one.

We've had previous good threads here along these lines, my intent is just to bring the perspective of someone who didn't buy an S.
miloVanMultistrada
MTS: 2010 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:13 pm Reply with quote

Steve B wrote:
I've just honestly never felt the need to change my suspension settings during a ride once I've got the bike set up the way I like it. Or, it could be that it just wasn't worth the trouble to me. Which would come back to your point, and the value you're willing to give that ability to push a button and change the settings. I did take an extensive test ride on an S touring before buying my bike and just wasn't willing to pay the extra I guess. It's just a step too far up the complicated scale for me for what I want in a bike at this time. If it proves to be reliable technology down the road, who knows, maybe I'll be on one.

We've had previous good threads here along these lines, my intent is just to bring the perspective of someone who didn't buy an S.

The concept definitely works - and is particularly useful in the wet. It's just a matter of how much each rider values it. I can see how some people might not think the premium is worth it.

Interestingly BMW (and Ohlins) are both working on the next evolution - true active suspension that can adjust the damping on the fly as you hit the bumps.
RichR
MTS: 2010 1200 (White)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:31 pm Reply with quote

FWIW I'm in the same camp as Mr Burns - especially the part about not being good enough to use up all the suspension the standard comes with. I added an Altrider luggage rack and the Givi (not DP) side cases (V35) and top case (E36). (I understand Givi makea the DPs but the shape is odd). Be advised that Ducati, in their infinite wisdom uses a rear shock spring set up for a 150-170 lb rider You'll have to change that out if you're heavier (Traxxion Dynamics). I also have the ABS.
The MTS is the best bike I've owned - for how I ride it. Yeah, if money grew on trees, I probably would have purchased the S. Either way, you can't go wrong. PS - Welcome home! (soon).