Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Too soon? A 1200S for a second bike
Goto page Previous  1, 2
aaron_s
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:22 am Reply with quote

I stopped by the dealer today and sat on a lot of bikes. I got there too late to do a demo ride, so scheduled one for tomorrow. I walked out and was sitting on my little S40, ready to go home... and realized I was going to go for it.

So no reason to beat around the bush. I walked back in and bought a freaking red 1200S touring edition Very HappyVery Happy

Damn I am so happy with this bike. For me it feels like the right choice. I don't have any trouble staying in urban mode and riding carefully. For the record, I'm 30 and have seen enough accidents to know that the street isn't a place to screw around (too much anyway).

Random thoughts about the experience:
I was surprised how much narrower and lower the Triumph 800XC seat feels in comparison. I could flat foot that bike (I have about a 32" inseam) whereas on the 1200S I needed the lower seat.

The riding position on monsters is more aggressive than I expected from looking at the bike.

The 1200S turns in easier than the Suzuki S40 did, which is a pleasant surprise. Oddly enough, it also feels more stable in the wind.

The fog was rolling in by the time I left, so I haven't had a chance to go on a longer ride. I can't wait for tomorrow after work Very Happy
miloVanMultistrada
MTS: 2010 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:22 am Reply with quote

Enjoy your new bike! And just take it easy until you get the hang of things. Coming from a 30hp bike to one with 100/150hp, one of the things you'll need to get used to is how far you need to look ahead when you open the throttle!

aaron_s wrote:
The 1200S turns in easier than the Suzuki S40 did, which is a pleasant surprise. Oddly enough, it also feels more stable in the wind.

This is why people buy Ducatis - they have almost supernatural handling characteristics. How can it give a comfortable ride, turn in quickly AND be stable up to 150mph? Cool
coman
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:21 am Reply with quote

Well done on your new bike. You have entered a very special world with a bike more powerful and performance capable than most.

It may have 150bhp on tap, but only if you open the throttle right up. You sound quite sensible enough to work it out. So ride carefully and then, with a clear road ahead, enjoy the sensation of your arms being pulled out of their sockets as the front wheel gets lighter and lighter!

And remember that saying pilots have: 'There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold, pilots.' Think

MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:05 am Reply with quote

coman wrote:

And remember that saying pilots have: 'There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold, pilots.' Think

Being a professional pilot, I can chime in with another one, that is very true. Works with bikes especially on the road too.

" a superior pilot uses his superior judgement to never get in a situation that requires his superior skills."

Having three school ages kids, I take that one with me both to work and on the bike.

Enjoy the new ride, and remember, wear your safety gear! Not having a 1200 myself, I will still caution you about messing with the buttons while riding. Might get too distracting.

Scott

1984 Honda Interceptor
edeneve
MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:01 pm Reply with quote

Pilots put it best, I think.

Congrats - enjoy, and welcome to the forum! Just make sure you find the limits of that thing slowly and gradually, or you can develop an aversion to the bike that may be hard to overcome (in other words, don't make you shit your own pants right off the bat). If you haven't already- as soon as possible take MSF course, read Keith Code's "twist of the wrist", and have a track day. Each of these steps will bring you just as much enjoyment as your first ride, paying dividends via the fear it will save you from, added control and confidence you will learn, and safely finding the limits of the machine. I"m genuinely excited for you Very Happy

Fav rides:
2006 Multistrada DS 1000, Red
2007 Hayabusa
1982 GS1100
1992 GSXR1100
1982 KZ750 done up cafe style--
mollycbr123
MTS: 2010 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:01 pm Reply with quote

Congrats. Be careful on those streets. I lived in SF for about 5 years in the 1980's and remember the drivers as being very aggressive. I didn't own a bike then, but borrowed a friend's Honda magnum regularly to ride (he never rode it). Great roads outside of the city for sure.

'12 Multistrada S Touring
Yes, I do miss my air cooled multi...
Brand spanking new '16 Thruxton R
aaron_s
MTS: 2011 1200S (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:58 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback. The pilot sayings are fantastic, I especially like the one about pilots using superior judgement to avoid situations where they would have to use their superior skills.

I'm surprised how many people have recommended track days. I'll check that out after a bit more time in the saddle.

edeneve wrote:
read Keith Code's "twist of the wrist"

Thanks for the reference! I read that book in a library several years ago, and have been looking for it since.

coman wrote:
You have entered a very special world with a bike more powerful and performance capable than most.

Well said! It's an amazing feeling. Dude on a scooter gave me a thumbs up today haha Smile

mollycbr123 wrote:
I lived in SF for about 5 years in the 1980's and remember the drivers as being very aggressive.

I wonder if there are more two wheelers in SF nowadays, because I think drivers here are generally more aware of us than in other places. Although, I avoid commute hours and stay away from the big thoroughfares, so that may have something to do with it.