Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: MTS 1100S vs. Sport Classic vs. S2R1000
dhk777
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:04 pm Reply with quote

Hi everyone - new to the board and really glad to have found such a helpful resource on the Multistrada. Seems like a very active community which is nice to see.

I'm interested in buying a 2009 MTS 1100S from a local dealer who wants to charge me around $9300 out the door. The bike has 9K miles and includes the side panniers (as well as a few other minor modifications) but is basically stock.

I'm also looking at a couple of other options (private sales) including a GT1000 Sport Classic and a S2R1000, both of which are a couple of grand less than the MTS.

A couple of questions:

1) Is the price on the MTS a good one? Doesn't seem to be any movement there.
2) Knowing that everyone here is probably biased towards the MTS (of course), if you couldn't spring for the extra money, would you go SC or S2R instead?

Live in a city but my riding would be mostly nights and weekends, some long distance but probably lots more half day trips on country roads that are not far from downtown. Will sometimes have a passenger too, so have to factor that in as well.

Thanks in advance for the advice!
darkstarmoto
MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:18 pm Reply with quote

I had an S4R so it kind of compares to the S2R, I like the MTS a lot better, much more comfortable & truthfully IMHO handles better and is MUCH more capable of carrying gear. Also, since you're looking at an S...the Ohlins suspension alone is enough to stop looking at the other bikes.

That price isn't bad per say for an 09 with options, see if they'll go an even $9K out the door and you've probably made a good deal.
potomacduc
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:04 pm Reply with quote

I have a friend who rides a GT 1000. One big issue is the small tank capacity. He has run out of gas in as little as 150 miles, so he needs to start looking around 125. If you're going to do any longer rides, that fuel range will be a hassle (for you and your riding buddies Razz ). The ergonomics of the GT are pretty comfortable, but you will also have to spend some money to equal the carrying capacity of the Multi's panniers and to gain some wind protection. You will likely want an improved seat for either the GT or the MTS. As for the S2R, it is even less suited to riding any sort of distance than the GT. Its tank is even smaller and it is even harder to strap on decent luggage.

The MTS simply is a much better suited to covering distance than either of those bikes and it doesn't give anything up performance wise in the bargain. The GT 1000 specifically feels noticably slower handling to me. Its rear suspension is fairly basic and can also feel harsh over bumps. It's not a big deal, but even the standard suspension on my MTS is much more plush. The Ohlins on the S you are looking at is really nice and will be one more full level better yet.

As far as if I simply didn't have the money to pay the premium for the MTS, I would look for a cheaper MTS someplace else. If I had to shop only at that dealer and choose only between the GT and the S2R, I would get the GT for its better ability to cover distance. If I was never going to ride more than 125 miles in a day, I would get the S2R. It's prettier.
zookiman
MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:35 pm Reply with quote

To be or not to be...I never liked the classics except the sport. It looked like the MH900e. I always wanted the S2r and still do. It's timeless. However Pierre built the Multi and all bets were off. It is hands down my favorite. But if I lived in town and only rode evenings and weekends....I'd get that S2r! It's just so friggin cool lookin. A guy at work had one with white rims....drop dead gourgeus. Get the Monster dude! If you don't like it trade it in on the Multi. Use the money ya save and get a nice helmet and ballistic gear. You'll be the talk of the blvd...ok now I'm jeleous...I want a S2r Monster now. Hey honey ya know that backup bike I've been wanting? The Monster still had the dry clutch too. Getcha a open cover so you can hear that mechanical symphony... Too cool man! Let us know what you decide.

2020 Hypermotard 950sp OMFG!!!!
dhk777
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:45 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice - keep it coming! I think I have eliminated the SC at this point and am down to the S2R and the MTS. Had a Monster 620 which I really liked but to be honest it wasn't much fun space-wise with a passenger. Leaning towards the Multi but have to figure out how to address the $2K+ gap in price... Think
doulos
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:51 pm Reply with quote

I had a 05 S2R 800 for 3 years, used it primarily as a commuter bike but rode weekends too. Sold it for an 07 MTS 1100. No regrets, not even for one second.
The MTS is a far more versatile and comfortable bike than the Monster. The MTS wins also for passenger comfort over the Monster.
I suggest you go and ride both for a half hour or longer, if you can, and then make your decision.

No Multistrada

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:29 am Reply with quote

Honestly, if you don't figure to be taking rough or unimproved roads, or dealing with much city traffic, I don't see that the Multi would be that much more valuable to you than the SC or Monster. The crucial issue would be whether you really intend to ride two-up much. Sure, you COULD ride two up on any of them but if doing so is important at all, I'd think the Multi is the obvious choice.

'09 Suzuki DR650 Nameless 9/'10 - 5/'11
'08 Aprilia RSV Lara, aka Silver Lion 3/'10 - current
colin martin
MTS: 2005 620 (Yellow)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:21 am Reply with quote

I have a GT1000 and a Multi. For riding, the Multi wins hands down. Better riding position, fairing, miles better suspension, tubeless tyres. The Multi was built to be ridden, not ridden to the coffee shop + you would be getting an 'S' with Ohlins, lighter wheels and carbon bits. I don't think that the Monster would compete, except around town.
The Duchess of Desmo
MTS: 2008 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:32 am Reply with quote

the multi would be the most versitile option, Colin has had to modify his GT - the multi would be ready to go!

Moronic
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:37 am Reply with quote

Well I looked hard at a Multi and was able to take a long test ride but ended up choosing an S4Rs Monster, mainly because my passenger and I loved that short-stroke Testastretta superbike engine. No regrets but still hanker after a Multi and can offer you a bit of perspective on the S2R option, as basically it is an S4Rs with the air-cooled motor and without the Ohlins suspension.

Most of what I will say just reinforces what others have said above. My bottom line: the Multi 1100s is a lot more bike for the money than the S2R. That is, the $2K would be well spent.

First thing is that the Multi "s" suspension will be night and day better than the stock S2R stuff. Not only is it Ohlins and extremely tuneable, it also comes stock with a hydraulic preload adjuster that immediately makes an enormous difference to how pleasant the bike is two-up. Stock Monster rear shocks are somewhat notorious for harshness on bumpy roads, also.

Second: the Monster is simply appalling as a pillion bike, with the stock seat. We've had a custom dual seat made up, which works brilliantly but cost us $550 plus the price of a stock seat to work on. (See what I mean about the value the Multi offers for that extra $2K.) The stock Monster pillion "seat" slopes rearwards and is domed. At one point there was a web page devoted to the phenomenon of "Monster arse", built IIRC by a pillion passenger who wanted to warn off her trusting sisters. The pillion pegs aren't flash either, with the right-peg hanging further out than the left so as to clear the high exhaust, and very flexible on its curved mounting.

Third, there is a big difference in fuel range. The plastic tank "R" series Monsters take only about 12.5 Litres of fuel, not the 14 Litres Ducati claims. The Multi AFAIK takes the claimed 20L.

Fourth, the stock Monster seat even for the rider gets painful after about 40 min. The stock 1100 Multi seat is much better.

Fifth, perhaps on some weight-saving crusade, Ducati shaved from the "R" model Monsters just about everything at the rear of the bike that you could hope to strap gear to, then put the exhaust in the way of soft panniers.

Sixth, you can't fit a centrestand to the Multi, and Ducati sidestands are fragile, mounted as they are to the engine casing.

Okay, on the upside for the Monster: they look very sweet, they ride much lower than the Multi and so feel more road-bike like, they steer slower and feel wonderful in long sweepers, they are much smaller and lighter and feel it, especially at walking pace or when parking and stopping.

They have a timeless, minimalist aesthetic, and make a brilliant solo-bike project that can be customised endlessly and will never date.

So you can't go wrong, really. Mr. Green
dhk777
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:49 pm Reply with quote

My thanks to everyone who responded with advice - it was very much appreciated and definitely helpful. I pulled the trigger today on the used 2009 Multistrada 1100S! Love the look of the Monster and always will but the versatility of the Multi called to me!

Was so excited that I could barely make it through the final run through at the dealership before I hopped on it and rode it home. So, unfortunately, the lesson learned there is:

1) Always check the headlights. Only have high beams for some reason although the dealer did an inspection today so that's a bummer that it made it through the process without notice. Unless something happened on the ride home which was pretty uneventful.
2) Thoroughly examine the afterrmarket accessories. Noticing some interesting/weird/downright hokey things now that I have it home and am looking at everything very closely. Two different front turn signals. One of the points where panniers have been attached to the frame are not held on with bolts but with zip ties.

But, all in all, happy with the purchase. Just wish I could ride it tonight but want to wait to get the headlight fixed in the AM. Will post pictures later too.
Moronic
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:54 am Reply with quote

Congrats!

Sorry to hear about those two disappointments tho.

I would be concerned the dealer let it go like that. Makes you wonder what else is awry.

An essential part of a good Ducati ownership experience seems to be a good dealer or independent mechanic. $100 spent in time can save $900 ... or something like that.

Ducs also take a bit of setting up if you are to get the best out of them. There is plenty of help to be found on this board. In particular, the chassis on all the "S" models is very, very adjustable, and the adjustments make a big difference.

At the rear, you have adjustable ride-height (via an adjustable rod in the suspension linkage), and compression, rebound and preload adjustment on the shock. At the front, there is more ride-height adjustment from sliding the fork in the yokes, and again spring preload and compression and rebound damping adjustments. And of course, as you have Ohlins gear, you have access to softer and firmer springs front and rear in small increments.

Not trying to scare you, just informing that your rolling chassis is very sophisticated and will allow you to find just the ride and steering feel you are looking for, if you know what you are doing or can find the right help.

Good luck!
dhk777
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:00 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice regarding the flexibility of the Multistrada - definitely have some digging to do through this forum for tips!

Got the panniers removed today but no dice yet with the headlight - will try again later in the week. Looks good without the bags - have to think about whether or not I'll re-attach them or go without for awhile.

Felt faster on the highway coming home, that's for sure!