Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Buying an 04 Multi 1000DS
Konadog
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:30 pm Reply with quote

I am most likely buying a 2004 Multi 1000DS as soon as the current owner fixes a battery and electric issue (the back light for the gauges pops on and off - scary at night).

The bike has just under 20K miles and it had the full 18K service done, albeit in 2008. Outside of a few cosmetic blemishes it seems pretty right. Tires are relatively new, etc.

With the 18K service done 3 years ago and less than 2K miles on the bike since then, is there anything else I should keep my eye out for?

Insurance is 3X what I was paying for my BMW F650CS, but this is at least 3X the bike.
imnala
MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:53 pm Reply with quote

The backlight going on and off could be the earth lead needs a clean or the plug to the consol unpluging and clean conection. The cam belts you need to know when these where last replaced as it not done a lot of milage in the last 3 years i'd change them to be on the safe side. Start it from cold (feel the engine first to make sure it's cold) any back firing thing about walking away and listen t]for a bzzzt sound when you first turn the key on (if you don't get that sound stepper motors not working).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:36 pm Reply with quote

i called the dealer where the current owner bought the bike earlier this year. they said belts were changed and valves done at the 18K service. bike started strong from cold with no backfiring. HOWEVER, after the test ride, the bike wouldn't turn over. so he's taking it to the dealer to check the issue (likely the battery as it's 3 years old).
zookiman
MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:12 pm Reply with quote

RUN!!! Save yourself!!! It's a trap!!! Don't let that bitch Hypnotize ya! Snap out of it....Oh no it's to late he's caught in the DucTractor beam.

2020 Hypermotard 950sp OMFG!!!!
bil
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:00 am Reply with quote

Valve guides, If they were not replaced you will be paying
bgone
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:52 pm Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, there was a recall on an fuel o ring thingee (they did it on my bike this spring when I had it in for service) and I believe there was a recall on the original kickstand - they just replaced it w/a longer one. Both done by the dealer at nc.
Konadog

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:47 pm Reply with quote

i just received the invoice for the 18K service from the shop, turns out the service was done March 2009. job was crazy expensive ($2K) and included rear sprocket, drive chain o-ring, rear brake pads, oil service, potentiometer, spark plugs, head cylinder gaskets, fuel tank hose, battery. technician stated it did not need brake fluid or timing belts.

it does not look like the valve guides were replaced. is that typically part of the 12K service?
2hlwf8
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:55 pm Reply with quote

Konadog wrote:
i just received the invoice for the 18K service from the shop, turns out the service was done March 2009. job was crazy expensive ($2K) and included rear sprocket, drive chain o-ring, rear brake pads, oil service, potentiometer, spark plugs, head cylinder gaskets, fuel tank hose, battery. technician stated it did not need brake fluid or timing belts.

it does not look like the valve guides were replaced. is that typically part of the 12K service?

Wow. They did all that and didn't bother with the fluids and belts?

So the rumors state, the 1000DS and to a lesser extent the 1100DS engines had problems with valve guides going bad due to shabby parts suppliers. It wasn't a recall per se, but Ducati supposedly replaced them if the problem manifest under warranty. The replacements were higher spec material, that is, original spec instead of subpar, and so the problem wouldn't return. If the guides have not already been replaced, it'll cost you some bucks to replace them when/if they go bad.

Read another way, if/when they go bad, you have a dandy opportunity to perfom some serious performance mods, since the heads have to be removed and machined anyway. Lemons make lemonade.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:33 pm Reply with quote

I'm buying the bike. Very excited. Seller had to put in a new battery to fix that issue. BUT the backlight problem on the dash will not be fixed prior to me taking ownership. A Ducati tech looked at it and said it was an internal issue and felt only replacing it ($1600) would fix it. Seller dropped the price as a courtesy, but now I'm on the hunt for a far cheaper solution to getting that backlight working. I take delivery soon.
nav18tor
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:47 pm Reply with quote

I think that Scorpio Electronics in the UK can sort the back light issue's

http://www.scorpio-electronics.co.uk/contact.php

But check first!

http://www.pureholidayhomes.com/coimbra-...gal-p32294.html