Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: I'm wondering if I'm too tall
Suzuki12
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:16 am Reply with quote

I would like to buy a 1200 Multistrada and sat on one a recent bike show. I'm 6'2" and it felt a little tight for me. Can anyone in that height range comment on how it feels after riding for a few hours.
Thanks.
moby34
MTS: 2010 1200S (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:30 pm Reply with quote

I'm 6' even and found extremely comfortable on a 600 mile trip, except for the iron ass.
coman
MTS: 2010 1200 (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:37 pm Reply with quote

I'm just under 5'9", so if you want to send me a couple of inches of your excess height we'd both be happy Shocked Razz Confused

MTS: 2011 1200 (White)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:53 pm Reply with quote

Suzuki12 wrote:
I would like to buy a 1200 Multistrada and sat on one a recent bike show. I'm 6'2" and it felt a little tight for me. Can anyone in that height range comment on how it feels after riding for a few hours.
Thanks.

Hi Suzuki12. I'm 6'3", 270 lbs (ugh), and this bike was the only bike that I felt comfortable on. I looked at the Triumph Tiger 1050 and the BMW R1200R. The BMW was too low for me. What made me get the MTS over the Tiger was comfort of the seat and, sadly, the look. The Tiger is a good looking bike, but I liked the MTS better. I went with the 2011 base model (no ABS).

Sitting on the bike and riding are two different feelings. Once I took the MTS for it's first ride, I felt too tall on it, but then after a week or two, I started feeling more comfortable. The only 2 negatives about the MTS are the windscreen and the grips. I get a lot of turbulance, but that can easily taken care of with a new screen. And my right hand gets tired with the standard grip. With some feedback from people on the forum, I'm getting the Progrip 714 grips. I use the bike 100% for commuting. No off-road riding....yet. I commute 75 miles round trip.

One thing to take into consideration is the maintenance (sp?) cost. I think the MTS will be more expensive, but if you can swing it, it's a great bike.

There is a rear brake issue on some of the MTS, but there's a brake kit to fix it and it's a covered service.

There is a plus: You get I think it's a 1 or 2 year road side assistance from Ducati, which I think is pretty cool.

Well, that's pretty much everything I can think of at the moment. If you get a chance to ride either the Tiger or MTS, or anything else, go with what works for you. The ONLY regret is that I couldn't pony up for the Sport or Touring version. I got the base model, which is still super nice. I hope this help. Have a great Holiday season.
Johnjan
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:36 pm Reply with quote

I'm 6'2" and thats why I chose the MS (2011 Touring) over other choices. It's the most comfy bike I've owned.
w0mb2t
MTS: 2010 1200S

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:42 pm Reply with quote

6'2 and no problems . It is what it is .
Suzuki12
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:08 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the input
gsharma06
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:18 pm Reply with quote

Hi, im relatively new to this forum, I own 2011 hayabusa and recently booked the MTS 1200 as my second bike. My ques - im 5.8" - on a busa its a decent height, i can touch both my feet on the ground. How will i fare on the MTS???
coman
MTS: 2010 1200 (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:27 pm Reply with quote

gsharma06 wrote:
Hi, im relatively new to this forum, I own 2011 hayabusa and recently booked the MTS 1200 as my second bike. My ques - im 5.8" - on a busa its a decent height, i can touch both my feet on the ground. How will i fare on the MTS???

Hello and welcome gsharma06.

As I said above, I'm just under 5' 9", and I can touch the ground with both feet, although just the balls and toes, not flat. But that is enough. Normally I only use one foot, preferably the right one, as that is nearer the crown of the road in the UK (we drive on the left) and it leaves my left foot free to engage first gear.

Ducati do a lowered seat for the 1200 which may suit you if you find it a struggle, but I really don't think the standard seat height will be a problem for you.

MTS: 2011 1200S (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:42 pm Reply with quote

6'2" 180 lbs and long reach, no problems with the ergo's and I am coming from a 08' Sprint St. The MTS suits my frame just fine, its actually alot more roomy then the Sprint and I like the riding position better
goat311
MTS: 2011 1200S (Black)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:36 pm Reply with quote

Hey Suzuki12,

I am new the the Multi. and a taller guy as well 6'2" and 230# I felt a little cramped so I pushed the bars ever so slightly forward and it opened up the cockpit a ton!

on another note, I feel guilty for using my hand warmers last night. For years I swore you didnt need them in San Diego. Sure did feel nice though....
gsharma06
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:20 pm Reply with quote

coman wrote:
gsharma06 wrote:

Hello and welcome gsharma06.

As I said above, I'm just under 5' 9", and I can touch the ground with both feet, although just the balls and toes, not flat. But that is enough. Normally I only use one foot, preferably the right one, as that is nearer the crown of the road in the UK (we drive on the left) and it leaves my left foot free to engage first gear.

Ducati do a lowered seat for the 1200 which may suit you if you find it a struggle, but I really don't think the standard seat height will be a problem for you.

Thank you for your feedback, it sure does help, I did read about the lowered seats for MTS. I think im gona try the original first n see how it fares. In India even we drive on the left - same as UK so will try that out once i get my bike.
Thanx again Smile)