Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Maintenance & Reliability?
Adrum
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:25 pm Reply with quote

I'm looking at the Multistrada Touring as possibly my next bike & most of the research I've been doing shows really positive feedback about the bike . . . except for maintenance & reliability. I keep hearing the bike has issues with these two things here and there, but haven't been able to find any specifics as to what that means other than just "in general", which is worthless info really. So, all you 'Strada owners, especially the 1200 version, what's your take on this? How is the bike when it comes to maintenance & reliability?
miloVanMultistrada
MTS: 2010 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote

I think generally they are reliable, but... most people seem to suffer from one or two niggling faults that you should get sorted under warranty. A common ones is a poor rear brake and less common ones are warped front discs and problems with the keyless igntion / steering lock.
moby34
MTS: 2010 1200S (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:29 pm Reply with quote

Most of the troubles have been sorted out, so if you're buying from a dealer, they should be doing any updates before delivery, and would be a good idea to make sure they are.
coman
MTS: 2010 1200 (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:20 pm Reply with quote

Adrum, have a look at this new thread. 1200 owners are noting how their bikes have been performing WRT reliability since they got them.

http://www.multistrada.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28733

Overall very reliable I'd say, with, as Milo says, a few niggles. But as with all new production machines, the snags are dealt with bit by bit and so earlier common faults are history.

MTS: 2011 1200S (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:59 pm Reply with quote

I had a BMW R1200RT prior to this. I had lots of reliability problems with it. So when I was back in the market for a new bike, reliability was a key point I was looking for. After several months of looking at bikes, I determined that the Multistrada is a very reliable machine. I was skeptical at first. The more research I did, the more I found out that this bike is really a reliable machine. There were definitely some problems with the 1200 when it rolled out in 2010. Ducati has taken steps to correct the problems. I bought a new 2011 6 weeks ago and have had no problems. I have put it through all sorts of conditions. Good luck. I hope you find a good bike that suits your needs.
dancragin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:05 pm Reply with quote

Thanks again everyone. I really love this 2010 Multistrada, before this
I restored oddball 70's vintage motorcycles, Suzuki Rotories, Two stroke
triples, Rickman and Seeley Hondas and Kawasaki's. So this is a big step up for me.

The keyless igniton on this bike seems quirky, sometimes the dash wants a passcode or I need the wave the key back and forth because it does not see it. Is there a fix for this? Do I need a new keyless remote?

Lastly, the previous owner told me to change the oil every 3k and have the dealer do a major service every 12k. Is a 12k service expensive?

Much appreciated
moby34

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:50 pm Reply with quote

Keyless can have issues, may just need a new battery in the keyfob, but if there any other RF's in the area may cause issues. I think the manual says 5k miles for oil change and 15k for "major" service. Valve clearance check is the main thing done, but a dlr. would also check all fluids, brake pads, etc. Sounds like you're handy enough to probably do most of the work utilizing this site for advise using search function as most things have been discussed.
vtjc
MTS: 2015 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:47 am Reply with quote

I can't speak highly enough about my Multi, a 2010. I have only owned it of a year so I don't yet have much info on reliability but I am impressed by the fact that everytime I have been to the dealer they check for updates. I have owned a lot ob bikes over the years and I have never seen a deal look at a bike out of warranty without charge you something. The rear brake does suck.