Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: 1200 S Touring Vs. Concours 14
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
zemurray
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote

I'm a long time sport bike rider and WERA expert road racer who is burned out on sport bikes. I currently have one of my bikes, an 09 CBR 1000RR up for sale as sport riding on the street has just become a bit bland for me after spending years on the race track. I dream of doing more commuting, with lockable luggage so I can lock up my laptop bag when I go to the gym, carry stuff etc.. I can't stand wearing backpacks when I take a bike to work and sport bikes have just become to uncomfortable to ride at a casual pace. I also dream of doing weekend or even week trips, with nothing but a couple panniers worth of clothes and supplies leaving my leathers at home in favor my my Aerostich suit. I think I would really like a sport touring type of machine, something that I can ride on all day in comfort, and still handles well enough for me to enjoy the back roads at a spirited pace (sane, not knee dragging).

So I've narrowed it down to these two bikes. The 1200 S Touring or the Concours 14. Both really have their appeals and it's been difficult for me to lean one way or the other. The Duc, light, nimble, good urban utility type machine, great power, super handling, etc.. Less wind and weather protection though, a bit taller, and expensive. I had considered a 1200 GS for this "utility" type reasoning, but I've scratched it off my list.

The C14 is allegedly a wonderful sport tourer, but I am concerned a little about its weight. All of the reviews say this is not really an issue unless you are on really tight roads at a fast pace. All of the mag reviews I've read between the two bikes seem to favor the Kawi. It has a shaft drive, looks good, nice luggage, fast and should be very comfortable.

But the Duc is so sexy, the suspension and electronics are very appealing to me. It seems to be the perfect fit on paper for me if it's as good as it sounds and offers adequate wind protection.

I used to have a VFR 800, that was a nice bike, but I'm looking for something more comfortable than that was for me. I actually feel more comfortable on a 600RR than I did the VFR. Being 5'9", the reach forward for the bars seemed to leave me feeling stretched out on long rides. I've also owned a Vstrom 650. Hated that bike. It was not comfortable for me either, and did not handle well.

I do plan on riding in cool weather, and rain, so that's a factor.

I have not been able to ride either bike. I'm hoping someone on this site that has experience with both might be able to provide some helpful information.

Thanks,
Eric
turbodude
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:44 pm Reply with quote

Does your local Ducati dealer do demo rides? For my 1000DS, the demo ride is what sold me.

I leaned to the Multi versus other sport tourers due to the reach to the bars. I am 5'7", and the other sport tourers had me reaching too far foward to be comfortable. The dirt bike like riding position just worked for me.

MTS: 2010 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:51 pm Reply with quote

Riding home from Marlinton last year, I almost high-sided on my 1200 trying to keep up with a group led by a Connie 14. The rider was a big guy, so he could muscle the bike around quite a bit. But yes, it will do the business in the curvy roads with a skilled rider.

They are two completely different bikes designed to do similar jobs. A test ride will hopefully tell you which one is right for you.

'12 Multistrada S Touring
Yes, I do miss my air cooled multi...
Brand spanking new '16 Thruxton R
zemurray
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, my local Ducati does dealer rides. I won't know until tomorrow if they actually have a 1200 in stock though. If I have to go out of state I may not get the opportunity to ride.

None of the Kawi dealers do demo rides, so I still won't have anything to compare it to.

I'm sure the Connie is more than capable of doing what I want, as I don't really feel the need to be super aggressive on the street. It's just so difficult to find out which bike will better suit you without actually riding one for a day.

I'm sure the more I ask and the more info I get will help though.
Bret312
MTS: 2012 1200S (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote

I have the 1200 S Touring. I haven't ridden the Concours. One thing I can say about Ducati's is that they have a style and character that is unique. One thing I love about the Multistrada is that it also looks great with the luggage off. It doesn't have the large brackets like some other bikes do. When I'm just riding around and don't need the side cases I keep them off. I love the light weight and the performance is more than I would ever need on the street. I live in Chicago and I actually use the Urban mode when I'm riding in the city. It is really easy to manage in stop and go traffic. I personally prefer the feel and sound of an L-Twin vs a I-4.
redcastle
MTS: 2008 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:03 pm Reply with quote

Nice review on youtube, you may have already seen it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k_ejs2Fhz0
zemurray
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:46 pm Reply with quote

Yeah, I've watched the video. They favor the Connie

I definitely love the Duc on paper. Looks great too. I think one thing that I may worry about is wind and weather protection. I will ride it in bad weather, and it would seem that the C14 would be better at that with much more fairing and windscreen.

But the Duc is so light and looks good. The electronic adjustable suspension and better MPG are real attractive to me.
Dangerous Dave

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:34 pm Reply with quote

I think you would appreciate the power and nimbleness of the multistrada. Most people are turned off by the electronics and suspension but that seems to be a plus for you. I've really come to enjoy the different modes and suspension adjustability. Your biggest concern seems to be weather protection. I don't find this an issue - fit a slightly larger screen and you should be good. The upright riding position works against you a little bit with the wind and weather but its not a deal breaker. I would take the motor and the handling of the ducati over the slightly better weather protection of the concours. Plus the ducati should make a better city bike - fit a top box, and remove the panniers and its a killer commuter and grocery getter.
moby34
MTS: 2010 1200S (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:08 pm Reply with quote

I'm with Dave, bigger windscreen, top box, and I only use my side panniers on trips and I rode throughout the winter in Chicago never having to turn heated grips past medium. Obviously we're very biased here, but you've reached out to us which means I think you've already made your decision, it's ok, we'll welcome you to our family.
mollycbr123

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote

zemurray wrote:
Yeah, I've watched the video. They favor the Connie

I definitely love the Duc on paper. Looks great too. I think one thing that I may worry about is wind and weather protection. I will ride it in bad weather, and it would seem that the C14 would be better at that with much more fairing and windscreen.

But the Duc is so light and looks good. The electronic adjustable suspension and better MPG are real attractive to me.

Ducatis have always been more towards the sport side of sporttouring, so you will give up some creature comforts.

'12 Multistrada S Touring
Yes, I do miss my air cooled multi...
Brand spanking new '16 Thruxton R
zemurray
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:35 pm Reply with quote

Yeah, I know asking for impressions and comparisons on a bike forum are always going to be biased Laughing

You guys have been very helpful though. It's going to be a very tough decision. At least I may have the opportunity to ride the Ducati first, so that will help.

It sounds like a great bike. I'll just have to see if it speaks to me when I throw a leg over it.
SpeedwayRN
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote

Is there a place to rent one for the day?

2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100- Antonio - died a traumatic death!
2006 MV Agusta 910s-Ginger Is missed dearly! God Bless Mossimo Tamburini
1975 Honda CB750
zemurray
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:47 pm Reply with quote

SpeedwayRN wrote:
Is there a place to rent one for the day?

No, nothing like that here in KY. The dealer will let you demo most things I hear, he may not have one though.
hebegebe
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:56 pm Reply with quote

My brother has the kawa the problem is if you look at a twisty road even on a map you need to replace the front tire.
redcastle
MTS: 2008 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:10 pm Reply with quote

If protection and comfort is the priority then any sports tourer must be worth a look. The latest guzzi norge gets good reviews just to throw you a nice little spin ball.

I've had a few big all rounders, admittedly not a 1200MTS and everyone I've owned has had issues with buffeting or wind noise and general protection. What they don't have issues with is fun and are lovely and flickable.

I gave up on the perfect bike a couple of years ago so now run an MTS110s for shorter trips and fun and an 1150RT for mile munching with maximum protection.

Must admit though I doubt I would be buy any bike without the benefit of a good test ride whatever the reviews said.