Forum index -   Wanna buy: 1200 S Touring Vs. Concours 14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
jfusaro
MTS: 2011 1200S (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote

redcastle wrote:
Nice review on youtube, you may have already seen it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k_ejs2Fhz0

Putting the Duc 1200 in with those bikes for a comparison is like putting a silk hat on a pig. I have rode all of those machines except the Triumph GT. but I owned a 08' ST. I looked at the Connie and found it heavy and boring, very fast and not a bad handling bike on twisted roads but it is not the Ducati. Long distance 2 up highway riding is what its designed for and if thats what I did most I would have considered it but then again I would be on the BMW GT if that was the case. The Multi will do everything I want it to do and more, Superbike when need be, back road 2 up with the wife for hours on end, early morning egg sandwich ride out to my favorite deli and the occasional off road fire/unpaved burn up to my favorite look out spot.
zemurray
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote

jfusaro wrote:
redcastle wrote:

Putting the Duc 1200 in with those bikes for a comparison is like putting a silk hat on a pig. I have rode all of those machines except the Triumph GT. but I owned a 08' ST. I looked at the Connie and found it heavy and boring, very fast and not a bad handling bike on twisted roads but it is not the Ducati. Long distance 2 up highway riding is what its designed for and if thats what I did most I would have considered it but then again I would be on the BMW GT if that was the case. The Multi will do everything I want it to do and more, Superbike when need be, back road 2 up with the wife for hours on end, early morning egg sandwich ride out to my favorite deli and the occasional off road fire/unpaved burn up to my favorite look out spot.

You are describing exactly what I was thinking. My wife looks at the duc and thinks it won't be comfortable for her. Has your wife always liked riding 2 up, what does she think compared to others? I'm not even sure my wife will ride 2 up, she tried it on a vfr and hated it, but we talked about touring together and giving it another shot so it's a consideration
t-bills

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:49 pm Reply with quote

Those were the last two bikes on my list. I test rode the Multistrada and fell in love. I looked at the Connie and looked at it and tried my best to convince myself that it was a better fit. I rode it and it is a good bike. Being a small guy, I definitely noticed the weight of the Connie. In the end, the Multistrada won. It definitely has more personality. I've gone riding with a Connie around Suches, GA. The guy on the Connie is definitely an experienced rider. When things got tight, I pulled away pretty quickly. Either way, you will be happy.
falcofred
MTS: 2010 1200S (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:13 pm Reply with quote

I own a 2010 Muti 1200 S Touring so I lean toward the Ducati a bit. I will say that I got to ride a fiends C1400 and felt comfortable riding it a fairly quick pace right away. Usually it takes time for me to feel a bike out enought to get comfy enought to wick it up, but the Connie felt good right away. To me it and all bikes from Japan just don't have much character.
You crank it on the Duc and it's all smiles.
You mentioned carring you're laptop on the STN forum, you may want to test fit the bags. The Ducati bags are stylishly shaped, but my work PC will not fit in it.

No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote

falcofred wrote:
I own a 2010 Muti 1200 S Touring so I lean toward the Ducati a bit. I will say that I got to ride a fiends C1400 and felt comfortable riding it a fairly quick pace right away. Usually it takes time for me to feel a bike out enought to get comfy enought to wick it up, but the Connie felt good right away. To me it and all bikes from Japan just don't have much character.
You crank it on the Duc and it's all smiles.
You mentioned carring you're laptop on the STN forum, you may want to test fit the bags. The Ducati bags are stylishly shaped, but my work PC will not fit in it.

15" MacBook pro? What about with the extenders or the top case? It's a small bag. That would be a deal breaker for me, I need to be able to carry a laptop dry. Surely it would fit
zemurray
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:52 pm Reply with quote

t-bills wrote:
Those were the last two bikes on my list. I test rode the Multistrada and fell in love. I looked at the Connie and looked at it and tried my best to convince myself that it was a better fit. I rode it and it is a good bike. Being a small guy, I definitely noticed the weight of the Connie. In the end, the Multistrada won. It definitely has more personality. I've gone riding with a Connie around Suches, GA. The guy on the Connie is definitely an experienced rider. When things got tight, I pulled away pretty quickly. Either way, you will be happy.

Love the area. I ride down there at least a couple times a year. I'll be there in may. Thats one of the reasons i think the duc would be a good fit is that type of riding. Unfortunately for me I have to ride a couple hours to get to good roads, and I've ridden them to death. I just want to take longer trips and see more. Ride to the ozarks, rockys, etc..
jfusaro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:48 pm Reply with quote

zemurray wrote:
jfusaro wrote:
redcastle wrote:

You are describing exactly what I was thinking. My wife looks at the duc and thinks it won't be comfortable for her. Has your wife always liked riding 2 up, what does she think compared to others? I'm not even sure my wife will ride 2 up, she tried it on a vfr and hated it, but we talked about touring together and giving it another shot so it's a consideration

My wife likes the MTS. coming from an 08' Sprint ST and the angled stepped seat she much prefers the Duc. If she had her way the BMW 1200 LT would be in our garage but its like riding a wet sponge and she is only with me a 1/2 dozen times or so a year. She is 5' 8" slender to ave. build and can go 3 hrs easily. She is not an avid motorcyclist but will go with me for a breakfast or lunch destination as long as sne doesnt have to cook, cook is a four letter word and she trys not to use four letter words.
Mattel
MTS: 2008 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:36 am Reply with quote

Walk up to the sales manager and tell him no demo your next stop is Ducati to buy the 1200. I have ridden both, and I think the 1200 is the bike for you!

ATGATT+AIR!!!
bgone
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:08 pm Reply with quote

zemurray wrote:
t-bills wrote:

Love the area. I ride down there at least a couple times a year. I'll be there in may. Thats one of the reasons i think the duc would be a good fit is that type of riding. Unfortunately for me I have to ride a couple hours to get to good roads, and I've ridden them to death. I just want to take longer trips and see more. Ride to the ozarks, rockys, etc..

I noticed you mentioned the rockys, one of the owners of the local ducati shop rides his MTS 1200 there for the Pike Peak Race. Not that I'm trying to sway your decision either way... Laughing
zemurray
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:39 pm Reply with quote

Just went to the local Ducati dealer at lunch. We do have a good dealership here, they have a very good reputation for making fair deals and offering great service.

I sat on the bike, checked it out thoroughly and talked to the owner for an hour. It's a very nice bike and the ergo's are great. I will be going back with my helmet and gear to take it for a test ride in the next couple of days. They are getting a titanium one in, which is likely the color I would want.

I also just sold my CBR, so I'm going over this afternoon to check out the C14.

If the MTS rides as good as it felt in the show room, I'm pretty sure I already know which way I'm leaning.

The only disappointing thing was that the side bags are pretty small. It will be difficult to get a laptop in one of them. The owner was telling me I should try to live with just the side bags, he felt that the top case would alter the handling too much. Not sure if I agree or not.
ducdoug
MTS: 2011 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:56 pm Reply with quote

Don't worry about the topcase interfering with the handling. I've got 12k miles on my 1200S Touring now, most of that with the topcase mounted. Unless you are carrying bricks in the topcase, you won't even feel it there. BTW, I also got rid of my 2010 BMW 1200GS and a 2009 CBR 1000RR Repsol when I got my MTS. I've ridden my MTS on a 600 mile touring day and got off fresh, and when I feel the need, I strip the bags off and it becomes a giant motard on steroids.

For long distances, the MTS needs a little bit more wind protection. Easily solved with an MRA Vario touring windscreen. That's the only significant modification I've made (unless you can't GPS/XM radio electronics...).

I haven't ridden the C14, but in my search for the perfect (for me) sport tourer, I had an ST1300, a BMW K1300GT, a VFR800, and a couple of GS models. Once I rode the MTS, it was all over. I've been riding 40 years. I ride professionally and can ride (and have ridden) just about anything I want. Nothing comes close to the MTS, at least for my needs.

Good luck!

MTS: 2010 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:34 pm Reply with quote

thats just BS about the top case -

i tour with the side cases, but I commute with only the top case - with a brief case and a pair of shoes in it you would never know its there
mollycbr123
MTS: 2010 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:03 pm Reply with quote

zemurray wrote:
I also just sold my CBR, so I'm going over this afternoon to check out the C14.

Sold my cbr shortly after getting the air-cooled multi, as the honda rarely got ridden after getting the duc.

zemurray wrote:
The only disappointing thing was that the side bags are pretty small. It will be difficult to get a laptop in one of them. The owner was telling me I should try to live with just the side bags, he felt that the top case would alter the handling too much. Not sure if I agree or not.

I carry a laptop in the pannier daily when commuting on the 1200. It will fit in either side, depending on what else I'm carrying. I had a topbox on the 1100, and often forgot it was on there when riding. It would startle me from time to time when I caught sight of it in the mirrors.

'12 Multistrada S Touring
Yes, I do miss my air cooled multi...
Brand spanking new '16 Thruxton R
The Duchess of Desmo
MTS: 2011 1200 (White)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote

$50 says ride the 1200 you will buy it! Be prepared to part with $$$$$
Don't buy either without test ride!

moby34
MTS: 2010 1200S (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:31 pm Reply with quote

Another top box user here. Never an issue. Only time I put on side panniers are for touring or grocery shopping. Yes, I drink my share of beer, and get 2 12-packs of Rolling Rocks up in that top box and once I'm mounted will not notice on the ride home. There are multiple windscreen choices out there, just do a search on this site and you'll find all are pretty good, all depending on your size and needs.