Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Multistrada handling/performance on track?
PeGe
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:22 am Reply with quote

Hi,
I am now VERY close to investing in a Multistrada. Just need to sell my current Duc first.

Anyway, I have been a regular at the local race-track days for the last few years and would of course like to continue participating with my MTS. Confused

Questions:
How is the performance and handling of the multistrada when the pace is A LOT HIGHER than in traffic?
Will I be disappointed?
What modifications are needed for being able to use the Multistrada on racetracks without too much problems?

Thanks!

/PeGe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:33 am Reply with quote

PeGe, I have a MS as well as a 748. i actually got the 748, primarily for track use, after I got the MS. I would rate myself as a resonably good rider, 40 years experience, lots of track time in Porsches, but new to track use on a bike (just for reference).

The MS seems easier to ride quickly, as compared to the 748, but the 748 would be faster on a track (for me anyway). Not a lot faster though. It will lean further, I have not yet scraped anything (unlike the MS) and it has a little more power. It is also a little more stable, seems like the steering rake is more shallow (not sure how else to say it). Like more castor on a car. Riding postion lends itself better to going fast through corners (impossible to ride any other way, actually Surprised )

I think if i was follow myself with the MS in the rear, i could keep up with the 748, but only because i was in the back. Razz

I ride a 60 mile stretch of wonderful mountain roads (Angles Crest/Angles Forest Hwy) quite often, and usually I take the MS. Very Happy

Hope that helps.
ian916
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:44 pm Reply with quote

my opinion would be that a less experienced track rider would do better on a MS than a more race orientated bike and rider. And it depends on the track, - my 916 is damn hard work to get quickly around a small track, - counter steering and so on.
However theone area that would potentially concern me would be the MS tyres, - they are bit blocky, - and those blocks could move around when really pushed.
Mr. Green

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:29 pm Reply with quote

ian916 wrote:
my opinion would be that a less experienced track rider would do better on a MS than a more race orientated bike and rider. And it depends on the track, - my 916 is damn hard work to get quickly around a small track, - counter steering and so on.
However theone area that would potentially concern me would be the MS tyres, - they are bit blocky, - and those blocks could move around when really pushed.
Mr. Green

I would agree, the Multi is really an easy bike to ride 70-80 % on.
PeeBee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:35 pm Reply with quote

In Holland we have a seriously off beat bike magazine (bit like the Top Gear people), called Kixstart. They tried the MTS last season on the Dutch Ducati clubraces. As you might know, The Dutch Ducati club annually hires the Grand Prix circuit of Assen, and thousands of people show up...

They had a completely stock bike, changed everything on the suspension settings, but changed it back to factory specs when they found out the right hand turns caused a lot of exhaust shield scraping. They finished 16th in a field of around 40, and they're above average drivers of course, but no real race drivers. They said it handled very very well, with an huge lack of nervousness. Everybody loved the twin pipes high up in the air, when braking hard. The Sync tyres held out good too, with a lot of grip, even at high circuit temperatures.

I think that for 'serious' racing the bike would have to lowered a bit from stock. To make fast right handers possible, this would include a different pipe for the front cilinder, running closer to the engine, or (better yet) running underneath the engine.

Those Kixstart drivers had never driven a bike on the clubraces that caused so few drops of sweat...
desmodummy
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:45 am Reply with quote

Peebee, actually the story was that Kixstart first had the bike setup higher then stock at the rear to get some extra groundclearance (because of the exhaustshield). But in that setup the bike was very very nervous to ride. Thats the reason they went back to factory setting and 'hanged of' a little more when cornering. I recall they used pirelli supercorsa but could be wrong there.
Rocker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:06 am Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be great if there was a MS race series

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:42 pm Reply with quote

I had thought that perhaps I could take off the exhaust heat shield, as that is what seem to scrape on the track (or leaning hard to the right). It doesn't really seem that necessary (I wear boots) ??

I decided to get a 748 for track use, so have not tried it. has anyone else thoought about this or tries it?

greg
PeGe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 3:16 pm Reply with quote

Guys, thank you for all the usefull infomation!

Sounds like I will have to start looking for a different exhaust system right away to get the ground clearance in right hand corners then...
I have been riding the Ducati supersport at quite a few track days and had problems with the clearance on that one as well, so I am convinced that is will be the same problem with the MTS then...

Anyone who has tried the Öhlins rear shock on the MTS?
Also, other springs in the fork are available, right?

/PeGe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 6:49 pm Reply with quote

desmodummy wrote:
Peebee, actually the story was that Kixstart first had the bike setup higher then stock at the rear to get some extra groundclearance (because of the exhaustshield). But in that setup the bike was very very nervous to ride. Thats the reason they went back to factory setting and 'hanged of' a little more when cornering. I recall they used pirelli supercorsa but could be wrong there.

desmodummy,
I re-read the race report and you're very right. I thought my memory was better than it is. Confused
Keith B
MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 4:45 am Reply with quote

I took my MTS out on a very wet Ducati Sporting Club track day at Mallory Park in the UK.I was still running it in at the time! Shocked
It was great fun riding around the outside of 916's and the like.As it was so wet I did'nt generate huge angles of lean,but I still got both pegs down.
The Scorpions were'nt too bad either.They did get a bit squirmy,but I put that down to the wet conditions and some slippery overbanding.
On dry roads I have ground out the exhaust guard and bent the rear brake lever.
The next DSC track day is on May 7th at Cadwell Park.This is a rollercoaster of a circuit with a section that is known as "the mountain".Its a very steep hill that has the front wheel pawing the air,in fact the British Superbike guys actually take off here.I'm planning to take my 999 but I think the MTS would be great around there.More ground clearance required though!